Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 11:10 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,895,820 times

Advertisements

Perth doesnt get much convection or thunderstorms in summer but alot of the inland parts do, maybe this has something to do with it.

Also Perth is the sunniest place in the known universe

Old 09-07-2011, 06:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,629 times
I have lived in Melbourne, Perth and now live in Auckland

Auckland and Melbourne have very similar climates, Melbournes summers are much hotter but Auckland has the warmer winters.
Both cities get alot of rain but also alot of sunshine (Melbourne more than Auckland)
Both cities have very changeable weather, 4 seasons in one day, its not unusual to have baking heat and blue skies only for it to be raining hard 20 mins later.
It is however unusal to get non-stop rain all day long in both cities, let alone days on end.
Auckland in summer is very very humid and can be difficult to cope with, however it isnt that hot (usually around 26C)
Melbourne on the other hand has very hot summers though without the humidity, its not unusual for temperatures to go 40C+ in Melbourne during summer.

Perth has long, hot and dry summers, again 40C is not unusual, it hardley ever rains in Perth for most of the year, usually just clear, blue sunny skies.
Winter sees alot of rain in Perth but again, not all day everyday, and Winters are short (usually jusy July) and its still pretty warm, 17C-22C in winter.
Perth has very cold winter nights though and almost no humidty year-round.

I dont know enough about Wellingtons climate to honestly comment but it is famous in NZ for being cold wet and windy year-round.

Your best bet is Perth

Old 09-07-2011, 01:48 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybobbobob View Post

Auckland and Melbourne have very similar climates, Melbournes summers are much hotter but Auckland has the warmer winters.
Both cities get alot of rain but also alot of sunshine (Melbourne more than Auckland)
Both cities have very changeable weather, 4 seasons in one day, its not unusual to have baking heat and blue skies only for it to be raining hard 20 mins later.
It is however unusal to get non-stop rain all day long in both cities, let alone days on end.
Auckland in summer is very very humid and can be difficult to cope with, however it isnt that hot (usually around 26C)
Melbourne on the other hand has very hot summers though without the humidity, its not unusual for temperatures to go 40C+ in Melbourne during summer.

Perth has long, hot and dry summers, again 40C is not unusual, it hardley ever rains in Perth for most of the year, usually just clear, blue sunny skies.
Winter sees alot of rain in Perth but again, not all day everyday, and Winters are short (usually jusy July) and its still pretty warm, 17C-22C in winter.

I dont know enough about Wellingtons climate to honestly comment but it is famous in NZ for being cold wet and windy year-round.

Your best bet is Perth
Your exaggerated comments about Wellington destroy your credibility. Both Wellington and Auckland (and any other NZ site) are cold and cloudy compared with Perth, and a substantial portion of NZ is wetter than Perth.

For the record - the average rainfalls for the Auckland and Wellington urban areas are the same - about 1150-1250mm. Auckland has a higher number of rain days at both the 0.2mm and 1.0mm threshholds.

Mean sunshine at the Kelburn site is higher than that at the current Auckland site by a significant amount.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:41 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Another old topic exhumed from the grave

Old 09-08-2011, 01:29 AM

98 posts, read 136,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybobbobob View Post

about a degree difference between the two in winter.

Quote:
Aiuckland gets twice the rainfall of Melbourne. And no, neither city has a lot of sunshine.

Quote:
24-25C most of the time is indeed difficult to cope with. Absolute stinkers.

Quote:
No, with the average low a cold 15C and high a non-spectacular 27C, Melbourne does not have very hot summers at all. Also, with a grand total average of 1.2 days over 40C per year, I would say days over 40C are unusual and many years don't even have it.

Quote:
Actually Perth gets over 800mm of rain a year. More than Melbourne, but is concentrated into the cooler half of the year. So to say "hardly ever rains most of the year is wrong".

Quote:
Your best bet is Perth
You clearly don't know enough about Melbourne's and Auckland's climate either based on this dribble you conconcted.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:38 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Melbourne has a lot of sunshine, almost 1000 hours more than Auckland.

It baffles me why people dislike Melbourne's climate so much, it's pretty inoffensive. Summers are warm, probably hot to a lot of people in cooler climates, and winters aren't exactly subarctic.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:47 AM

98 posts, read 136,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Melbourne has a lot of sunshine, almost 1000 hours more than Auckland.
Melbourne gets about 2100 hours, so Auckland gets 1000 hours? I don't think so. Did you mean 100 hours more? If so that's a barely perceptable difference that's nothing to crow home about. 2100 is not a lot of sunshine, its fairly pathetic if anything. Winters average 3.5 hours per day which is mind numbingly cloudy.

Quote:
It baffles me why people dislike Melbourne's climate so much, it's pretty inoffensive. Summers are warm, probably hot to a lot of people in cooler climates, and winters aren't exactly subarctic.
mostly due to the cloudy winters, and the biting windchill that often rips off the coldest body of water in the world. But the biggest factor is probably the fact that it is noticably gloomy relative to the warmer, sunnier climates just about anywhere else in Australia.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:07 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertstorm View Post
But the biggest factor is probably the fact that it is noticably gloomy relative to the warmer, sunnier climates just about anywhere else in Australia.
Precisely. In some contexts (eg the UK) Melbourne would seem very sunny, or (eg NZ) moderately sunny, but in mainland Australia it's in the cloudiest 5% areally (that 5% or less also comprises a small area around Albany in WA). Relativities do matter.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:48 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,991 times
There is not a lot in common between the cities, and even Auckland is more similar to Sydney than Melbourne, but with colder winters.
Wellington is more comparable to Tasmania.
I have lived just south of Perth, and the climate there is very different to the other cities mentioned. A very sunny climate, where sunglasses are a must, and a summer that goes on and on, with very little cool weather breaking it up.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:02 AM

497 posts, read 982,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I agree, but I really don't think its reputation is as bad as some make it out to be, even among Australians. It's a mild city that still provides a bit of everything, except snow. Summers always have hot days with high to extreme UV, though not enough of them to satisfy some people.

Certainly not a place for someone wanting an eternal summer, or even three straight months of summer-like temps, but it's definitely liveable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather