Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 06:27 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,836,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
OK, I confess that I didn't read the entire article, but scanned through a bit of it. As I was looking at the map, I couldn't really tell what region seemed to be the best for outdoor exercise. But previously Colo. had always been number one in the nation for fit residents. Does it appear that it's still rated number one on the map?
I've got this link American obesity, a state by state ranking - Monsters and Critics
from 2007 that shows Colorado as the leanest state. Where you look at the map listed by the OP it shows the pacific coast as the best place for an exercise climate. I'm just saying that the map and lists for state obesity rates don't fit together quite right. Those people in Colorado must keep busy mountain climbing a lot.

Last edited by Waterlily; 05-02-2009 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: fixing it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 10:02 PM

10,781 posts, read 8,702,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
...They found most people will not engage in outdoor activity/exercise when the temperature is under 25 F or over 86 F.
Sounds about right. Running constitutes the main part of my exercise routine and it's impossible once it hits 86F, or 30C. More like 28C is the limit for me. When it gets hot, I can manage a 45-minute power-walk as long as I can find some shade and have a bottle of ice-water with me.

It never gets to 25F or -4C in Perth, and daytime temps in Vancouver when I lived there never got that low, as far as I remember. But whenever I was in Montreal during winter, exercising outside was not anywhere near a possibility. Just going down the road to get the paper was a dice with an icy death. Eyes water, tears run down cheeks, freeze. That is such a freaky feeling.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:22 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,347,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
I've got this link American obesity, a state by state ranking - Monsters and Critics
from 2007 that shows Colorado as the leanest state. Where you look at the map listed by the OP it shows the pacific coast as the best place for an exercise climate. I'm just saying that the map and lists for state obesity rates don't fit together quite right. Those people in Colorado must keep busy mountain climbing a lot.
Mountain climbing and skiing. I'm amazed at some of the states that are more on the lean side/further down the list because of the cold winters. Oh, and that pic you see when you first get there, I could've lived without seeing that.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:32 PM

10,781 posts, read 8,702,157 times
Quote:
Mountain climbing and skiing. I'm amazed at some of the states that are more on the lean side/further down the list because of the cold winters. Oh, and that pic you see when you first get there, I could've lived without seeing that.
Oh well I just had to look then, didn't I?

Maybe it's just a media/tourism-driven perception/stereotype but I picture Coloradoans (?) as being quite outdoorsy - hiking, mountain-biking, skiing, snowboarding, etc. I'll have a look for myself when I'm there later in the week.

The worst states - would food also factor in the rates being so high? Maybe too much deep-fried food.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:40 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,716,966 times
Quote:
I was amazed to see western NY is actually in a better zone for excersize than southern South Carolina, and ALL of Florida.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 05-02-2009 at 11:06 PM..

Old 05-08-2009, 06:48 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,440,577 times
I don't know how reliable this list is. My temperature preferences are certainly nowhere near those. 40 degrees makes it miserable for me to be outside, let alone 25. I don't like to be outside when the temperature is under 50. And 86 is perfectly comfortable for me, I can go much hotter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather