Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 05:54 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,324,296 times

Advertisements

Well thats what I call it. The weather forecast for us here in the northeast is clouds and rain all week. We may not see the sun till next Sunday.
This pattern happens all too often here, and much more than it used to. A new, semi-permanant Atlantic Ridge is now present a good portion of the year, blocking and stalling cold fronts once they reach the east coast.
This has happened, yet again, this week. The weather seemed much clearer back in the 80s when I grew up as a kid. Do you think is a sign that our atmosphere is ill, an effect of global warming, which could be changing weather patterns?
We had record breaking heat last week, courtesy of the same ridge as it built westward. Alaska also basked in unusual heat.
It seems the upper Great Lakes area and the upper midwest seem to have avoided this mess in the 1st place, being farther away from the oceans which are warming and bringing this lousy weather.
Coming from someone who likes crisp, dry weather and clear skies all these clouds are seriously depressing me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 05:57 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
I would love to see a stall front in our area. We sure do need the rain.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:24 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,900,317 times
Stalled fronts here (if they stall before they reach us) and blocking highs result in an automatic extension to hot, sunny weather, so I love it when fronts stall and welcome any blocking pattern with open arms.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:26 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,814,421 times
Those kinds of stalled fronts ruined last year's summer.
Our first whole summer weekend without rain was Labour Day Weekend.

*Two high pressure ridges stalled on opposite sides of Toronto, pumping all the moisture to us.
We had nearly triple our average summer rainfall.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:31 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Well thats what I call it. The weather forecast for us here in the northeast is clouds and rain all week. We may not see the sun till next Sunday.
This pattern happens all too often here, and much more than it used to. A new, semi-permanant Atlantic Ridge is now present a good portion of the year, blocking and stalling cold fronts once they reach the east coast.
This has happened, yet again, this week. The weather seemed much clearer back in the 80s when I grew up as a kid. Do you think is a sign that our atmosphere is ill, an effect of global warming, which could be changing weather patterns?
We had record breaking heat last week, courtesy of the same ridge as it built westward. Alaska also basked in unusual heat.
It seems the upper Great Lakes area and the upper midwest seem to have avoided this mess in the 1st place, being farther away from the oceans which are warming and bringing this lousy weather.
Coming from someone who likes crisp, dry weather and clear skies all these clouds are seriously depressing me.
I do think the warming ocean temperatures are changing the overall weather patterns in different ways. It is a very complicated yet interlinked system.
I live in NH and would actually like another freeze as the insanely warm temperatures last week have brought out all the nasty bugs already.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:56 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,900,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Those kinds of stalled fronts ruined last year's summer.
Our first whole summer weekend without rain was Labour Day Weekend.

*Two high pressure ridges stalled on opposite sides of Toronto, pumping all the moisture to us.
We had nearly triple our average summer rainfall.
such a scenario creates putrid weather here, but only after the front has passed. This occured in December 2008, with nothing but cloud, extreme cold and depression the whole month with extremely strong seabreezes that never let up However, if it occures before the front passes, then it's beautiful warm and sunny.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:05 AM

1,032 posts, read 1,505,769 times
In my opinion Australia, well SE Australia, rarely sees a stalling front. Mostly low pressure troughs or low pressure systems stall near the SE, resulting in thunderstorms on most occasions with the trough, and rain and cloud with the low - both scenarios is with a strong high pressure system slow moving through the Tasman Sea near New Zealand.

Australia seems to see more blocking highs then anything though, mostly west of the SE of the country in the Great Australian Bight, but sometimes in the Tasman as well. The Tasman block would cause sunny, dry and warm weather for the SE, whilst the high where it is now, in the Bight, causes mostly cloudy drizzly weather, thanks to increasing moisture in a southwest airflow.

Once inland Australia cools enough, the highs will move further north allowing cold front and rain into the SE of the country.

Cheers.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:29 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,238,034 times
BLA is right..plus it seems they forecast **some Sun but the clouds often don't burn off till late in the day.
Wait and wait and wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather