Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 06:22 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,401 times

Advertisements

Here in Northern VA we have not seen the sun for five days. I find that to be a very long time for springtime. We have been stuck in a stagnant weather pattern with a stalled stationary front with waves of low pressure. Yesterday the range between our low and high temperature was 3 degrees (56-53).

What is the longest you have seen consistent cloudy skies in your hometown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:25 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,898,596 times
I'm not sure, because anytime between April-October is uniformly cloudy, so the brain doesn't register spectacurlaly cloudy periods, seeing as half the year here is spectacularly cloudy. Although, I'm sure I've seen 10 solid days of overcast during a winter a couple of years ago.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:34 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
When I was 8, I actually forgot what bright sunshine looked like.
(I wonder if anyone from the British Isles, Holland or "Tassie" has had similar experiences... )
I went from late December to mid-March and never remembered seeing sun in the afternoon until then.

*I remembered the big, hot, yellow ball part,
but what I meant was from the shade or indoors, looking out and seeing "sunlit objects."

Old 05-05-2009, 04:35 PM

14 posts, read 31,928 times
My first fall in the Twin Cities the sun was gone for the entire month of October.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:36 PM

927 posts, read 1,947,855 times
I live in Oregon's Willamette Valley and I have seen it continuously cloudy and/or foggy for 40 or more days in a row. During our rainy season, from about mid October until early April, that can mean nearly six weeks running without a sunbreak or a patch of blue sky during the day and no stargazing at night.
That doesn't happen every year but often enough and we make up for it by having very sunny summers.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:07 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,062,199 times
During the winter/spring months it is possible for the sun to be "missing" for more than a month.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:37 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
In Perth Mr. Sun rarely hides completely for more than a couple of days. If I had to guess, the longest I remember is a period of maybe 5 days in a row during the gloomiest of winter spells - cold front after cold front. Perth winter's are wet, but not as gloomy as say Melbourne or even Adelaide.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
I live in Oregon's Willamette Valley and I have seen it continuously cloudy and/or foggy for 40 or more days in a row. During our rainy season, from about mid October until early April, that can mean nearly six weeks running without a sunbreak or a patch of blue sky during the day and no stargazing at night.
That doesn't happen every year but often enough and we make up for it by having very sunny summers.
One of the reasons for why I hate Melbourne's climate so much is because it is virtually impossible to stargaze here. My telescopes and other associated gear serve no other purpose besides being simply an investment.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
When I was 8, I actually forgot what bright sunshine looked like.
(I wonder if anyone from the British Isles, Holland or "Tassie" has had similar experiences... )
I went from late December to mid-March and never remembered seeing sun in the afternoon until then.

*I remembered the big, hot, yellow ball part,
but what I meant was from the shade or indoors, looking out and seeing "sunlit objects."
Hobartand some of the east coast of Tassie is actually sunnier than Melbourne (where's that hangman smilie already ), but the west coast of Tassie is downright feral.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:20 PM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,573 times
Sydney can get cloudy spells lasting more than a week to two. Occurs at any time of the year although it's pretty rare for this to happen during August to October (late winter - mid Spring). Has happened quite often during February (a summer month) and June (winter month).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather