Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 10:47 PM

416 posts, read 2,506,052 times

Advertisements

When there's 140 days of no rain straight - Phoenix area Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 09:09 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,716,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_singlemother View Post
How can that be bad?

We can almost go that long without seeing a whole sunny day.
I guess I'm used to a lot of damp, raw and gross weather.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:07 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,432,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_singlemother View Post
That actually sounds good to me. Well except for that whole running out of water thing. I wonder how much water bills run there.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:39 PM

341 posts, read 1,483,967 times
I hate the area I'm in now. The winter's are WINDY WINDY cold until Spring. Then they're WINDY WINDY wet cold until Summer. Then the wind disappears & it's humid & hot. There's a constant ugly haze 24/7 and the air's stagnant! They literally use that word on the weather! Can't wait to get out.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:25 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,426,351 times
Anywhere there is too much of one season that you dislike, would be the worse in my opinon, personally I prefer cool summers, low humidity and the four seasons...NO hurricanes, earthquakes, tornados....something my area has too much of, and I am also more than ready to head to the mountains.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:33 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,049,007 times
At this point of the year, I can certainly appreciate the desire for a warm environment (winter can end anytime now, okay weather gods, didya hear me?). However, I cannot imagine going that long without rain. I love those spring thunderstorms with the huge claps of thunder and the lightening filled skies. I like my four seasons, the worst weather in my opinion would be a place that did not have them. Too much of one thing isn't for me.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:47 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,491,058 times
Default There should be mention of Chicago

I have to give Chicago a big two thumbs down. First off I need to get one thing straight here and that is the fact that I'm talking about the areas that butt right up against the lake shore. I am not a fan of living in an area where winters are continually cloudy, winds howl in off icy waters, and there is no spring because of constant winds blowing inland from 35 degree water.

Chicago's climate is constantly misunderstood with having a 4 season climate which can be found about 60-100 miles inland away from the lake. Chicago's weather, though not overly severe in nature, is more of a nuicense and aggravation where temps dip into the 10's and 20's from Christmas until about March 15, then they warm up to a toasty 40 from about then till tax day, where then you are in for a real treat; temps that bounce depending on wind direction! YIPPIE! I'll call these teaser days. Its a case of where the weather demonstrates to you, "well this is the weather you could be having" (when its sunny and 75) then winds turn off the lake and temps plumet into the 40's and clouds move right back in, then it's back to reality. The most frustrating part of it all, is that as close as Joliet or Kankakee in the spring months the weather is fine where lake effect winds don't affect you, but in Chicago you better not leave your house without shorts, jeans, coat, boots, galoshes, unbrella, snow suit, mittens, hat, tank top, tanning lotion , etc because you will probably experience all the seasons where you would need those clothing items all in the same day!

For instance shortly before tax day I had to leave work early to go visit everyone's friends at the friendly Internal Revenue Service. When I left work it was 81... 81! When I got to the IRS office it was still about 81 and sunny, after being inside for a while someone came into the waiting room and said "sheeeeee****tttt man its gittin cold out thair" I thought, "huh? is this guy nuts?" Well little did I know the winds had shifted off the lake and the temps immediately plumeted about 20 degrees in the hour I was waiting to speak with an agent. When I left there I was blasted in the face with 30 mph north-easterly winds as I walked out the door and it had become cloudy outside again and basically back to the usual sh*tty weather Chicago is accustomed to.

Summers are nice if you like heat and sun which I do, so I enjoy summer here, and fall is nice until about Halloween, then its back to rain, clouds, wind, and cold.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:13 AM

62 posts, read 253,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Vee View Post
This post cracked me up...

I'd like to throw the PNW (specifically Western Washington) into the argument. Let me sum it up by saying...the quote above references a month 8 years ago that had 19 stright days of overcast. I bet you couldn't find a year in the last 50 that we HAVEN'T had at least 20 days straight of overcast/drizzle. A few years ago we had a period where it rained every day for 100 days. In fact, you can pretty much count on overcast grey drizzly weather from Mid October to June...there are a few nice days in there every once in awhile...but a sunny day is a rarity. Then in the summer, sunny weather is certainly not a given. It has rained on many 4th of July's.

Sure, it doesn't get too cold, or too hot, but it's just overcast, grey and depressing far more often than not.
Woof, then I'd have to say that's my definition of the worst overall weather, even if it's mild. No offense meant.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:00 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,130,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
I have to give Chicago a big two thumbs down. First off I need to get one thing straight here and that is the fact that I'm talking about the areas that butt right up against the lake shore. I am not a fan of living in an area where winters are continually cloudy, winds howl in off icy waters, and there is no spring because of constant winds blowing inland from 35 degree water.
I lived in the Lakeview area of Chicago for a few years back in the early 90s. I enjoyed Chicago and could live there again but I'm not sure I'd live as close to the lake this time around. I can remember the entire month of January being cloudy every single day...and that wind off the lake would cut through you like a knife..also spring in that part of the city was practically non-existant at times compared to far western/southern suburbs that were enjoying sunny days and warmer temps while we were cloudy and much colder.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:47 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,942,137 times
Hot humid summers, anywhere they occur!

regards...Franco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather