Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 02:15 PM

107 posts, read 1,202,977 times

Advertisements

Ok our life is a clean slate right now. We have no clue where we want to live but are starting to look for jobs. Where can we go that it's lower humidity (or none) in the summer and light to no snow and mild in the winter? I know California but that's way too expensive... we're looking more at the Phoenix pricing not the expensive pricing. If you are familiar with a city like this please let me know!

Rebecca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 03:27 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,974 times
Albuquerque, El Paso, Tucson, Phoenix, and Las Vegas, that's about it. Too bad most of those cities are expensive or at least becoming expensive.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:59 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Nameless, those are good suggestions. I'll go with Albuquerque mainly because it could have a better economy then the others ones you mentioned. NM is one of the few states who aren't suffering too much right now.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:56 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,044 times
I'd say New Mexico as well and up in the mountains where it won't be so blazing hot albeit a dry heat. How about Alamogordo (hot) or Cloudcroft (near Alamo, but cooler)?

Old 05-24-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I'd say New Mexico as well and up in the mountains where it won't be so blazing hot albeit a dry heat. How about Alamogordo (hot) or Cloudcroft (near Alamo, but cooler)?
We saw a movie that was partially filmed in the Alamogordo area. It looked beautiful there.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
We saw a movie that was partially filmed in the Alamogordo area. It looked beautiful there.
I tried to leave you a rep, but it said I couldn't. I guess I don't leave enough of them between reps, so I'll have to improve on that.

I was actually looking into moving to the Timberon, NM area, in the mountains and cooler, about 45 miles or so from Alamo. Now I'm thinking I don't want to live where very little rain is received, been there, done that in southern CA.

One thing about my spot in Texas, we get lots of rain and I love rain. Therefore, I'm still concentrating on southwestern VA as a potential retirement locale, beautifully lush and green and where I'm looking, cooler. By the way, so far this Spring minus a week in early May, the weather has really been nice and cooler than the norm here in central Texas. It's great.

Those blasted wimply natives in my area have their a/c on and I don't. They're always calling me a wimp because I can't stand the heat. I guess they think it's hot now, but it isn't. Hahahahahahaha!!

Old 05-24-2009, 08:17 PM

Why those wimps! You still live in Tx., don't you?

I think the desert climate would be nice especially as we age and are achey. I just personally can't get used to desert scenery though. I need green and lushness and flowers to be in a good mood. Kinda shallow, aren't I?

Old 05-24-2009, 08:26 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times
Quote:

I think the desert climate would be nice especially as we age and are achey. I just personally can't get used to desert scenery though. I need green and lushness and flowers to be in a good mood. Kinda shallow, aren't I?
Myself, I love the look of many kinds of deserts' and scrublands' "starkness".

I like the look of the Sonoran Desert, Mohave Desert, Chihuahuan Desert, most of the Australian Outback etc.
Pretty much anywhere it's easy to notice more plantlife than rocks.
However I would resent breathing high amounts of dust.

After spending time at a mining site one summer,
I quickly realised that no amount of rain is as annoying as blowing dust from a dust-storm;

-getting your face "sandblasted",
-squinting so your eyes don't get irritated,
-moving slowly to try to keep your breathing rate as slow as possible.

*This was caused from sustained winds at 35+mph, gusts at 50-60 mph over a few square miles of open pit mines.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:

Those blasted A/C wimps calling me a wimp. Ha!

Yes, I'm still here deep in the heart of Texas. You're not shallow wanting and liking what you want and like. Does that sentence even make sense? I need green and lush too and although when the summer heat is upon us, the beautiful green we're having now will disappear. I couldn't stand constant desert brown either.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:58 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,264,498 times
Well, to the OP I would say HOW mild of winters? Are we talking not cold at all or just not "northern winters?" I would suggest my hometown of Lubbock, Texas for the low humidity, but it does get cold and snow some there in the winter. But then you don't have the beastly hot temps of the desert areas either. (And alas, Lubbock does have some duststorms in the Spring.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather