Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 11:32 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,441,456 times

Advertisements

I think the winter season really makes or breaks a location in terms of climate. Summers are very nice in most places (even if they are just pleasant as opposed to very hot). Also summer temps don't tend to vary as much between location. For example, the average high temperature in Miami in July is 91 degrees F, and it never recorded highs in triple digits. In NYC, which is much farther north, the average July high is 84 - not that much lower. To be sure, there are hotter places than Miami in the US but they are mostly in dry, desert-like areas prone to large temperature ranges.

By contrast, in January, the daily high in NYC is 38 compared to 76 in Miami - a much bigger difference. And much of the heat in NYC is due to the heat island effect, with suburbs being noticeably cooler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 12:08 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,712,110 times
^^ I partially agree.
The lower the winter temperature,
typically the lower the "rest of the year" in between winter and summer is.

Take Toronto,
our July high is about 80 F (27 C)... (pretty good)
But our January high is about 27 F (-2.5 C)
(staying barely below freezing all day can make even "simple tasks" quite annoying)

Add them together and imho,
you get far too many days with highs below 60 F;
which I consider the minimum standard for more-or-less pleasant daytime temperatures.
(since parts of the daytime will be cooler than the forecast high )

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 06-07-2009 at 12:37 PM..

Old 06-09-2009, 10:00 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,438,950 times
I agree too. People say how nice New England summers are. Some say the summer makes up for winter but I disagree. I want a place that is 70+, or at least 65+, for at least half the year.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:14 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,875,455 times
I don't see how 2 months of 59F nights and 75F days makes up for 8 months of varying levels of cold....

New England is one of the most depressing climates in existance, just trailing behind all the maritime holes in the world.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:11 AM

26,379 posts, read 46,267,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
I don't see how 2 months of 59F nights and 75F days makes up for 8 months of varying levels of cold....

New England is one of the most depressing climates in existance, just trailing behind all the maritime holes in the world.
I completely disagree. New England has a true four season climate with much more sun overall compared to the Great Lakes states. I enjoy the cold weather much more than heat. I feel like the sun is burning a hole in my head when it is above 80F.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:12 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,441,456 times
New England is not that cool in the summer. Boston highs average 77F in June and above 80 in July and Aug, with lows in the mid 60s. Even Burlington, which is inland and much farther north near the Canadian border has highs over 80 in July. Cool nights are ideal IMO they allow you to actually open the windows and let fresh air in instead of running the AC for 24 hrs straight. Also, high humidity (which is typical in New England) makes 80F much feel closer to 90. Any physical exertion and you will be sweating in minutes.

Winters are cold, but not the coldest by any stretch - most of American Mid-West, Canada, Russia, Ukraine, Scandinavia, Korea, northern China and northern Japan is colder than New England. And if you go by summer temps, most of Western Europe and even parts of Southern Europe are cooler.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:58 PM

122 posts, read 411,537 times
Fort Laurderdale,Florida, never had to wear a jacket in the winter months.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:06 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,712,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
New England is not that cool in the summer.Boston highs average 77F in June and above 80 in July and Aug, with lows in the mid 60s. Even Burlington, which is inland and much farther north near the Canadian border has highs over 80 in July. Cool nights are ideal IMO they allow you to actually open the windows and let fresh air in instead of running the AC for 24 hrs straight. Also, high humidity (which is typical in New England) makes 80F much feel closer to 90. Any physical exertion and you will be sweating in minutes.
Oooh nooo, not sweating!!!...
In minutes?!?... ( )

Most of the time when I'm sweating a little, I'm in a good mood.
So when I'm "almost sweating" instead of "sweating," it's even better!

Imho,
if the weather isn't warm enough to break a sweat within 5 minutes of moderate excersize,
it's probably too cool/cold to be able to "just sit and relax."

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 06-10-2009 at 09:22 PM..

Old 06-10-2009, 09:47 PM

709 posts, read 1,762,718 times
Quote:
Oooh nooo, not sweating!!!...
In minutes?!?... ( )

Most of the time when I'm sweating a little, I'm in a good mood.
So when I'm "almost sweating" instead of "sweating," it's even better!

Imho,
if the weather isn't warm enough to break a sweat within 5 minutes of moderate excersize,
it's probably too cool/cold to be able to "just sit and relax."
For a Canadian you sure are a pansy when it comes to dealing with cooler weather. I expect this kind of reaction from a Brazilian, but not from a Canadian.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:08 PM

26,379 posts, read 46,267,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Winters are cold, but not the coldest by any stretch - most of American Mid-West, Canada, Russia, Ukraine, Scandinavia, Korea, northern China and northern Japan is colder than New England. And if you go by summer temps, most of Western Europe and even parts of Southern Europe are cooler.
Coos County, New Hampshire is one the coldest spots. The three reporting stations there generally record the coldest low temperatures other than northern Maine. Mount Washington has the worst weather on earth and the valleys get cold. Both Whitefield and Berlin record lows colder than -30F each winter. This is similar to portions of the Upper Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather