Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 06:23 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times

Advertisements

Although everything is still green in central Minnesota, we need rain bad !

We had only 1.8 inches since mid April and many days with sun and wind.

I move fence twice a day on my farm for rotational grazing, and the step -in fiberglass posts are difficult to step in the ground now.

The difficulty is similar to late July when we usually go through a summer dry spell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 07:12 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Even though we've had rain in the past month (even in the past 10 days), they've been saying we've had a critical water shortage for years. That's because we're overpopulated, and don't know how to properly handle our natural resources. Our population is outstripping our efficient use of natural resources and the supply thereof.
Makes sense...
Here it's often been too cool and/or too rainy for anyone to water their lawns. (so demand for water is still low)

Again, we definitely don't "need" rain here.
If I had to estimate, we've had easily 5-7 inches of rain since mid-April
and since we've been below normal for temperatures,
you could probably put an average high of 62-64 F from mid-April-to-present with that.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 06-01-2009 at 07:20 AM..

Old 06-01-2009, 12:38 PM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
We'd have no problem if our stupid mongoloid governemnt would build damns, but NOOOOO they have to appease the bloody greenies. The rivers where damns were proposed flood virtually every year plus recieve snowmelt from the hills in spring, but ofcourse it's much more logical to let all that water flood towns on its way out to sea
Melbourne has it's 4th driest May on record with just 10mm, hence the "drought" continues...

Old 06-01-2009, 10:13 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,895,820 times
Continious drizzle doesn't add up very fast......

Old 06-01-2009, 10:20 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,895,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow
They did build dams, some bloody big ones. The rain doesn't fall out of the sky in the same spots anymore and the irrigaters have syphoned off the flow.

If the dams we had were filled to overflowing then I'd say we need more dams, but they're empty, so one can only assume that any new ones we build will also be empty.

Long time ago, the Murray used to flood every year, barely runs now, and the Thompson was supposed to be a major catchment for snow melt, didn't happen.

Can't keep digging up and logging and clearing and expecting that a) we'll get rain and b) that we won't lose what we do get to soil erosion and run off.

Seems to me there needs to be MUCH SMARTER thinking on both sides of the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
YEP! And I'm pretty sure they hate it too! Poor things have had a "state of emergency" called the last few weeks and many of them have been cut off by the floods.

We've had a tonne of water in the top end and up North because Lake Eyre is filling up, (huge inland sea) which usually only happens every decade or so and yet here we're breaking records for the least amount of rainfall.

I so wish we had piplelines or something, anything that would distribute the water more evenly. It seems as though they're dealing with a "moving target" though and no sooner do they come up with a "solution" the water comes somewhere else. I'd hate to be a planner.

There's a guy in NSW who has completely regenerated his property using some old school techniques for water management. I'd like to see a lot more of his tips and techniques adopted.

The government here is pretty far behind the 8 ball on it all though. Now they're working on some stupid de-sal plant.
First you say we don't need to build that dam in East Gippsland coz they "wont fill up", despite the regularly flooding river for which it was proposed and being in one of Victoria's best locations for rainfall.....and snowmelt for that matter....then you blast the Desal plant....

contradicting yourself much?

Yes a pipeline from the north is the obvious solution, but ofcoruse that's in the "too-hard" basket for this stupid governement(s). The next best thing would be the damn on the Mitchell, as that river floods often and East Gippsland is among the wettest places in Victoria. But noooo, it's far more logical to let the water flood homes on its way out to sea

Old 06-01-2009, 10:41 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Very dry here. Got some rain then it shut down. Not much help on sandy soil.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:33 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Continuous? (note spelling) - what nonsense! Even you can't be serious.
9 days of rain. Out of this, only 3 days had falls exceeding 1 mm and 6 days had falls less than 0.09 mm so a very poor effort there. Moderator cut: Removed reference to a deleted post

Last edited by Jammie; 06-02-2009 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: removed feedback for a deleted post.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:39 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
Yes!!!

All the rain goes about 2 miles north and 2 miles south of my location. The Syracuse Airport is about 4 inches below normal for the past few months, but my location where I actually live is probably 5 or 6 inches below average.

If someone out there wants to investigate a strange weather phenomenon look into why roughly 75% of all showers or thunderstorms during the months of May, June, July, August and September either totally bypasses to the north or south OR decrease in intensity substantially near Hafners Nursery in the Town of Clay, NY. I'm serious! LOL

I was just watching the radar this evening and my rain hole phenomenon happened twice today already....

Old 06-08-2009, 08:50 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Currently am at Baltimore. Last week I was experiencing a severe beer drought. It would not stop raining long enough for me to go to the store to restock. I think the area is a couple inches over normal.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:00 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
First you say we don't need to build that dam in East Gippsland coz they "wont fill up", despite the regularly flooding river for which it was proposed and being in one of Victoria's best locations for rainfall.....and snowmelt for that matter....then you blast the Desal plant....

contradicting yourself much?

Yes a pipeline from the north is the obvious solution, but ofcoruse that's in the "too-hard" basket for this stupid governement(s). The next best thing would be the damn on the Mitchell, as that river floods often and East Gippsland is among the wettest places in Victoria. But noooo, it's far more logical to let the water flood homes on its way out to sea
Desal plant is going to be far more trouble than it's worth and you'll excuse me for being old enough to remember when they built the Thompson Dam it was to drought proof the state and they used all the reasons you're listing for Gippsland to go ahead with that, saying it was the PERFECT spot. And it's working just GREAT isn't it?

Moderator cut: removed last sentence

Last edited by Jammie; 06-09-2009 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: sort of a personal attack, don't ya think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather