Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 06:17 PM

377 posts, read 258,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbbnomoney View Post
Every summer here in Estonia. Out of 3 months, usually only one feels somewhat summery (highs around 24-30C/75-85F, and only a few 18-22C/65-72F days). The other two are usually just like 16-22C/61-72F weather, with a few warmer days here and there.

Luckily 50s F / below 15C for a high is rare. Altho sometimes June can be super cold and rainy, like in 2014 and 2017.

Lows are pretty much always around 12-16C (50s, low 60s F) though. But I honestly don't mind that too much, as the sunshine hours are very long in summer (sunset at like 9-10PM) and it doesn't really get cold before that.
Estonia in my books has pretty good summers. Good rainfall, awesome sunrise and sunset times, not too hot, not too cold. How does it work during summer, when it's kinda chilly in the mornings and warm in the afternoon? Do people just wear pants and warm clothing in the morning and strip down to shorts by the afternoon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2020, 08:23 PM

196 posts, read 136,978 times
San Francisco has horrible summers. In July 2018 was there and on the days I was there the temps were: 65/53 63/51 66/58. Yuck. At the same time NYC was 92/80 93/75 86/72

Old 10-31-2020, 12:21 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,456,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan257 View Post
San Francisco has horrible summers. In July 2018 was there and on the days I was there the temps were: 65/53 63/51 66/58. Yuck. At the same time NYC was 92/80 93/75 86/72

I would much rather spend my summers on the SF coast than here.

Old 10-31-2020, 03:28 AM

215 posts, read 106,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawhats View Post
Estonia in my books has pretty good summers. Good rainfall, awesome sunrise and sunset times, not too hot, not too cold. How does it work during summer, when it's kinda chilly in the mornings and warm in the afternoon? Do people just wear pants and warm clothing in the morning and strip down to shorts by the afternoon?
Yeah, I do actually enjoy our rainfall pattern and humidity levels in summer. I just wish it was 2-3C warmer most days.

As for clothing: The sun rises very early, at 4-5AM, so by the time most people are out and about (around 7-9AM) it has already warmed up a bit, and the temperature will be at least 16-18C, unless it is a very gloomy and overcast day. So if the forecasted high for the day is like 25C, you probably won't need a jacket or long pants in the morning, despite the night lows being colder.

But hoodies and lightweight windbreakers/rainjackets are definitely still a summer fashion staple here. 18-22C weather with rain showers is common, so most people keep an extra layer of clothing with them. I personally wear shorts most of the time (unless we are in a very gloomy and windy weather spell) and if the forecasted high is above 24C I go without layers, if it's below that, I usually put on a hoodie or at least take one with me in case i do get cold.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbbnomoney View Post
Yeah, I do actually enjoy our rainfall pattern and humidity levels in summer. I just wish it was 2-3C warmer most days.

As for clothing: The sun rises very early, at 4-5AM, so by the time most people are out and about (around 7-9AM) it has already warmed up a bit, and the temperature will be at least 16-18C, unless it is a very gloomy and overcast day. So if the forecasted high for the day is like 25C, you probably won't need a jacket or long pants in the morning, despite the night lows being colder.

But hoodies and lightweight windbreakers/rainjackets are definitely still a summer fashion staple here. 18-22C weather with rain showers is common, so most people keep an extra layer of clothing with them. I personally wear shorts most of the time (unless we are in a very gloomy and windy weather spell) and if the forecasted high is above 24C I go without layers, if it's below that, I usually put on a hoodie or at least take one with me in case i do get cold.
Thanks for telling me. In my home state of NC, summer mornings are usually in the upper 60s and lower 70s (20-22°C) which is pretty warm, but you would still see people out in pants in the mornings. In high school during the middle of winter, no matter how cold it got, there would always be that crowd of boys that would still wear shorts. They might wear a heavy coat, but they would still wear shorts lol.

Old 10-31-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale Storm View Post
25C is hot, good weather for shorts.
I agree with the good for shorts weather. 25C doesn't feel that hot to me, for it to feel hot it would have to be something like 30C, but I'm pretty biased being from somewhere subtropical.

Old 10-31-2020, 08:56 PM

196 posts, read 136,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
I would much rather spend my summers on the SF coast than here.
I’m not saying that SF’s July weather is bad, it’s just pathetically cold for July. SF’s July is what we in NYC would call typical nice October weather. In fact, SF does have some warm days, but they are concentrated during Santa Ana events which occur in fall. Anyway though, it’s never consistently warm enough for pool and beach in SF, so for me it’s summers are a flop.

Old 11-01-2020, 01:04 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,402,894 times
In India, I’ve been my ancestral town nearby Munnar. The interesting thing is that the summers are rarely above 80, so it’s probably colder than most places in the northern US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munnar

Maybe that’s why I hate summer so much .

Old 11-01-2020, 01:11 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,666,364 times
Somewhere around the arctic circle.

Old 11-01-2020, 01:36 PM

206 posts, read 90,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan257 View Post
I’m not saying that SF’s July weather is bad, it’s just pathetically cold for July. SF’s July is what we in NYC would call typical nice October weather. In fact, SF does have some warm days, but they are concentrated during Santa Ana events which occur in fall. Anyway though, it’s never consistently warm enough for pool and beach in SF, so for me it’s summers are a flop.

There is strong local variation as well, if you head to the west side of SF it is almost wintry there with the cold marine layer. If one heads east toward Oakland it's much warmer. At least that's how it was when I visited there in 2003.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather