Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 06:44 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I bet Jammie could do that
Actually, I like it to be cool when I sleep. It depends on the outside temp, but in winter I love it to be 65 degrees when I'm sleeping. Now during the summertime, my body would be in shock if I had it that cool and then got up and headed out for my walk.

I actually don't like it to be very hot indoors during the winter. It's something about the artificial air of a furnace that I don't care for.

A perfect temp for me would be about 65 at night and 85 during the daytime. I could always have the windows open and listen to the birds sing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 07:15 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
I can sleep with it warm (don't particularly like it but I can)! My upstairs is warm so not much of a choice. I always have a fan or 2 going. If its humid I use the air, prefer open windows though!

I sleep with my house too cold for most people in the winter, can't do that in summer because my central air will not cool the upstairs that well.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:42 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
I wonder if in the days before A/C,
most of the people living in summer climates with very warm nighttimes
actually were sleep-deprived nearly-all summer long... Like walking zombies?

At the moment,
if there was a time machine that could take people back 200+ years,
it seems that I'd be the only one who could get a proper night's sleep in any low-alitude tropical or subtropical location.

Malarial-mosquitos aside, I couldn't see myself having too much trouble sleeping in ancient Egypt or Thailand, old Mexico, colonial Florida etc.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:50 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,997 times
I'm guessing they used wet towels and sheets to cool off.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:05 PM

I don't live in what most people consider to be a hot weather climate, but I grew up without AC. We had one little fan and that was it.

So, to answer your question~yup, many people were very sleep deprived then and I can only imagine how bad it was down south where they have a lot of humidity. People also got extremely cold and suffered a lot back then, too. We didn't have a furnace when I was growing up either. Oil stoves and cookstoves heat a room in your house, but definitely don't heat an entire house.

And I live in an area that can have extremes. The record high of 122 was set many years ago and I doubt that many people (if any) had AC.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I don't live in what most people consider to be a hot weather climate, but I grew up without AC. We had one little fan and that was it.

So, to answer your question~yup, many people were very sleep deprived then and I can only imagine how bad it was down south where they have a lot of humidity. People also got extremely cold and suffered a lot back then, too. We didn't have a furnace when I was growing up either. Oil stoves and cookstoves heat a room in your house, but definitely don't heat an entire house.

And I live in an area that can have extremes. The record high of 122 was set many years ago and I doubt that many people (if any) had AC.
I don't think any of my relatives/ancestors in Canada ever lived without some sort of furnace, even if it was coal-burning.
(they weren't here until the early 20th century)

Obviously, if I had to live back then,
I could get used to a bedroom in the 90's F a lot easier than living up north without a furnace.
But immigration was a heck of a lot easier then too. (for English speakers?)
So I'd probably either RUN south, or go crazy.

Was your house very well insulated, and that's why you had no furnace?
Fireplaces or stoves in each room?

Old 06-27-2009, 07:17 AM

No, it wasn't well insulated. The big old farmhouses had very little insulation in them. We had a cookstove (burned corncobs) in the kitchen and an oil heater in the living room.

This was back in the 50s and 60s and most of the people who lived on farms around here didn't have furnaces or ac.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:35 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
I remember as growing up, we didn`t have AC. We had fans. Thats it. Opened windows at night. It didn`t seem to be as hot then though, as it is now at night.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:50 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I wonder if in the days before A/C,
most of the people living in summer climates with very warm nighttimes
actually were sleep-deprived nearly-all summer long... Like walking zombies?

At the moment,
if there was a time machine that could take people back 200+ years,
it seems that I'd be the only one who could get a proper night's sleep in any low-alitude tropical or subtropical location.

Malarial-mosquitos aside, I couldn't see myself having too much trouble sleeping in ancient Egypt or Thailand, old Mexico, colonial Florida etc.
If they didn't have AC, they didn't know any different. They didn't know what they were missing out on since AC didn't exist. I think they sehad their own systems of cooling the house as well. I know in the ancient Middle East they had openings at the top of the wall used as vents. Since heat rises, the heat would rise to the top of the house and escape through the openings.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
If they didn't have AC, they didn't know any different. They didn't know what they were missing out on since AC didn't exist. I think they sehad their own systems of cooling the house as well. I know in the ancient Middle East they had openings at the top of the wall used as vents. Since heat rises, the heat would rise to the top of the house and escape through the openings.
Funny thing though is, I know what A/C is like too
and EVERYONE seems to like or need cooler sleeping temps than me, even many people from the tropics who claim they hate "cold."
I usually do not appreciate any indoor temps below 75 F, regardless of what I'm doing... including sleeping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather