Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 05:08 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,397 times

Advertisements

I guess 2500 hrs is considered cloudy in the US? That's more than anywhere in NZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 05:22 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I guess 2500 hrs is considered cloudy in the US? That's more than anywhere in NZ.
Wavehunter could confirm with his graphs, but the average of 100+ stations in the US with a good geographical spread comes out at about 60% of possible, so that would net out at about 2650 hrs/annum. In population terms the average would be significantly lower, because the sunniest regions include a lot of low-density population areas.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
I found Wavehunter's graph and looked through it again. My town has about 2400 hours, and the 2400 hours line passes through Sussex county, NJ (where ilovemycomputer lives?). NYC and Boston are both above 2600 hours, as the coast is generally sunnier than inland. Since most of the population in the Northeast is concentrated along the coast, 2400 hours is below the norm. And the northeast is not one of the sunnier places in the country and definitely not known for its sunny weather. The only places in the country less with 2400 hours is the Pacific Northwest, the eastern Great Lakes and band following the east coast mountains that includes the three Northern New England States, most of upstate NY :-( , most of Pennsylvania except the region near Philadelphia and Appalachia. Judging from their population, I'd guess the average would be higher than 2650 hours, because it looks like the cloudy regions of the country form a minority of its population.

2500 hours isn't considered cloudy in the US, just not all that sunny. Where I live we get a good number of cloudy days, but usually they're right before, after and during rainstorms. But sometimes they linger. But we get a lot of clear "blue dome" days that's rare in the coast even though it's sunnier overall.

It seems that in northern latitudes there's a choice of mild winters and cloudiness or cold winters and relative sunniness. Though in the NE USA, the inland regions are both cloudier and colder (especially in the winters). But I think that's due a few quirks of geography.

What's the sunniest place in NZ?

Old 11-19-2010, 06:06 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I found Wavehunter's graph and looked through it again. My town has about 2400 hours, and the 2400 hours line passes through Sussex county, NJ (where ilovemycomputer lives?). NYC and Boston are both above 2600 hours, as the coast is generally sunnier than inland. Since most of the population in the Northeast is concentrated along the coast, 2400 hours is below the norm. And the northeast is not one of the sunnier places in the country and definitely not known for its sunny weather. The only places in the country less with 2400 hours is the Pacific Northwest, the eastern Great Lakes and band following the east coast mountains that includes the three Northern New England States, most of upstate NY :-( , most of Pennsylvania except the region near Philadelphia and Appalachia. Judging from their population, I'd guess the average would be higher than 2650 hours, because it looks like the cloudy regions of the country form a minority of its population.

2500 hours isn't considered cloudy in the US, just not all that sunny. Where I live we get a good number of cloudy days, but usually they're right before, after and during rainstorms. But sometimes they linger. But we get a lot of clear "blue dome" days that's rare in the coast even though it's sunnier overall.

It seems that in northern latitudes there's a choice of mild winters and cloudiness or cold winters and relative sunniness. Though in the NE USA, the inland regions are both cloudier and colder (especially in the winters). But I think that's due a few quirks of geography.

What's the sunniest place in NZ?
A handful of locations - Nelson, Motueka, Blenheim - in the north of the South Island, all with about 2450 hrs/annum (58-59% of recordable). There is not much seasonal variation - late summer/early autumn (Feb-Apr) is the (% wise) sunniest time in all of them, and late spring-early summer (Oct-Dec) the relatively cloudiest.

A quirk of NZ's changeable maritime climate is that the relatively sunniest monthly readings ever recorded were in a winter month - in July 1952 Blenheim recorded 84%+ and Nelson 83% of the possible. On the other hand, a value of just 60 hours in December 1959 at Waimate was only about 13% of the possible, little better than the worst numbers ever recorded in winter anywhere in the country.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:16 PM

87 posts, read 120,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Isn't Hobart colder than Melbourne year-round?
Yeah, but on the mainland, Melbourne "wins".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
That's 300 hours more than Melbourne

Old 11-19-2010, 06:20 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,023 times
2500 hrs is the around the highest that Canada can get too (The sunniest city has 2512 hours).

From looking at a global map, 2500 doesn't look bad either-- it seems to be around middle-range or average for the world.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:59 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Quote:
Bridgetown is classified as a cool Mediterranean climate, because the nights are rather cool (55°F). Together with the lack of humidity, you might find the summer not as bad as you would expect. You'd probably dislike the endless sun. I'd assume the winters are rather cloudy but not endless cloud?
Noticeably cloudier than Perth in winter. I find the summer nights a little cool for my liking (coolest summer nights in WA).

Old 11-19-2010, 08:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Noticeably cloudier than Perth in winter. I find the summer nights a little cool for my liking (coolest summer nights in WA).
Do you know the sunshine percentages?

Old 11-19-2010, 08:04 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
2500 hrs is the around the highest that Canada can get too (The sunniest city has 2512 hours).

From looking at a global map, 2500 doesn't look bad either-- it seems to be around middle-range or average for the world.
2500 is very decent anywhere. Few people would complain about 2500 hours, unless they were all stacked in winter.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:05 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,211,711 times
Quote:
Bridgetown is classified as a cool Mediterranean climate, because the nights are rather cool (55°F). Together with the lack of humidity, you might find the summer not as bad as you would expect. You'd probably dislike the endless sun. I'd assume the winters are rather cloudy but not endless cloud?
I did notice the cool summer lows. I would probably find the temperatures comfortable during the summer (I'll take a dry 85 F over a humid 77 F). But the sunshine would get old quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather