Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:55 PM

252 posts, read 735,869 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking possibly... Asheville,NC
It's in the Appalachian mtns, over 2,000 ft elevation (I think),
significantly cooler than lower elevation eastern NC
Fair sized city too, I'd live there, no problem
Good recreation nearby, Smoky Mtns National Park, Mt Mitchell

But western US "medium" elevation places are really hard to beat

My picks would be...

Glenwood Springs, Colorado elevation 5700 ft
Really nice, giant hot springs pool right in town, and is close to
much more expensive Aspen and the great scenery of
the "Maroon Bells" (best scenic area in CO)

Albuquerque,NM elevation 5,000 ft
Fast growing city of almost 1 million metro
Very good 4 season climate
Sandia Mtns and skiing is only a quick aerial tram ride away

Funny but if you look at the climate data for Asheville and
Albuquerque, they are kinda similiar in a way
It's weird but I think of Asheville as the eastern version Albuquerque
and Albuquerque as the western version of Asheville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 03:36 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Somehow I don't think Alaska will many peoples lists.
Hey, I moved here for the weather, I guess it must be at the top of my list.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:12 PM

414 posts, read 798,023 times
The Pacific Northwest is hard to beat (either Oregon or Washington). There's something for everyone. For example:

Winter: Snow, snow and more snow at elevation, whilst if you want a break from winter, the coast is nice and mild.
Summer: Dry and sunny for the most part. Heat lovers go inland, heat haters stay near the coast.

Bend, OR has a nice four season climate, almost perfect for my tastes (just a bit too dry, but temps are excellent).

Old 03-05-2012, 04:13 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times
Best weather? Eastern Washington, Eastern Oregon, Northern California, Idaho, Montana, South Central Alaska, and Interior Alaska.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:22 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Hey, I moved here for the weather, I guess it must be at the top of my list.
Alaska is up there for me.
Anchorage, Valdez, Wasilla - all on my list for great climates.
Fairbanks is too cold in the winter, and not snowy enough..

I have to say though, the best weather for me in any state would have to be Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine - they are all cold and snowy, all over, nowhere is mild, and summers are not too warm and they all get thunderstorms, a lot more then here anyway. True four season climates will always get my vote.

The worst state for me would be Hawaii, obviously, unless I lived on the highest mountain.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:37 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times
Iowa. Or maybe Indiana if the former is too extreme. Des Moines has a lovely climate.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:46 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,258 times
Eastern MD and VA near sea level no question about have MY favorite weather! Warm temperate climate with mild winters and nice hot summers, but still some snow (10-15 inches/yr is ideal for me), but not so much it gets sickening.

Most importantly plenty of days with low stratiform clouds, rain and fog just like in CT where I live.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:30 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,362,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Eastern MD and VA near sea level no question about have MY favorite weather! Warm temperate climate with mild winters and nice hot summers, but still some snow (10-15 inches/yr is ideal for me), but not so much it gets sickening.
Most importantly plenty of days with low stratiform clouds, rain and fog just like in CT where I live.
Over the last decade I’ve been hearing a lot about how many people are retiring to the Delmarva (eastern Maryland/Delaware along the Atlantic Ocean). It really didn’t make a lot of sense to me at first? Like most people I never (ever) considered the Delmarva region, as Americans we tend to look toward the southern Sunbelt states for nicer climates.

Yet, when you really look at the hard numbers, stations like Dover, Salisbury, Lewis…etc have a nice seasonal climate. You get true hot summers/great beach weather with summer highs near 80 F (or over) for a solid 4 months, the shoulder months (March, April, May, Oct, Nov) are fairly comfortable with highs in the 50’s and 60’s F. The cold season (Dec, Jan, Feb) is short, cool (but not really cold), and the light snow that falls (some winters no snow falls) is very fleeting. You’re right, in a state like Montana, Michigan, Massachusetts…etc the winter gets sickening with the protracted and colder temps, heavy snow, and long transition into spring. Yet, in the Delmarva, you get the semblance of a winter season - without the hassles of real winter. Add in the tax free status of Delaware, and no wonder the retires are flocking to southern Delaware along the Atlantic.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:54 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,953,145 times
Arizona

Old 03-06-2012, 11:47 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,589,659 times
Every state!!!........................According to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather