Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 12:20 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,465,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Yeah, because technically it's possible given the exact right set-up, without Al Gore's "global warming" fantasy. "Global warming" is not a prerequisite for such heat, as seen in January 1939
So when you have a hot year, that is just a natural variation that occurs normally (even though it hasn't for 70 years). But if it is cooler than average, that proves that clearly global warming is a hoax? (Even when different regions in the same country are having record high temps?)

Again, climate naturally varies quite a bit. You can easily cherry pick your data by relying on anecdotal information (last summer was cool blah blah, we had some rain wail wail). On aggregate, though, when you consider declining arctic ice, retreating glaciers, stronger hurricanes in the recent decades, rising ocean levels, and other evidence, it is fairly hard to argue against global warming. Not that I know much about climate change but at least I know enough to defer to the majority scientific opinion on the issue.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:25 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,351,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Were you also rolling your eyes when you had record heat last summer in Melbourne?

Anyway, expecting temps during a couple of months in one part of the country to be necessarily consistent with global warming is stupid. Global warming does not mean all places in the world will be warming in an even, linear trend.
Here are some comparisons between Sydney and Melbourne in terms of the mean daily maximum (obtained from BOM):

January 2009:

Sydney: 27.6oC
Melbourne: 28.6oC

February 2009:

Sydney: 25.7oC
Melbourne: 28.1oC

Which shows Melbourne was hotter than Sydney, the February difference between those two cities being 2.4oC.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:53 AM

659 posts, read 899,336 times
I love this. I hate heat/humidity. I hate summer and usually dread it, but this year has been ok for me Bring on the cool temperatures and rain!

Old 07-18-2009, 05:58 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
I posted this somewhere on TWF yesterday. TWC has been talking about how chilly it has been in the Northeast. NYC averaging 5 below normal temps. Boston is avg. 4 degrees below average temps. Of course, they did their "sensationalism" thing when they were talking about the above avg. in the Southwest. 5 degrees above avg. and 3 degrees above avg. were the best they could come up with for the Southwest. So to me it was all a wash.

They went on to say that NYC broke records with the most days for not hitting 85 degrees.

As far as why it's happening~my theory has never changed and I believe a Supreme Being is in control of our weather. He's not bringing on an ice age nor is he bringing on global warming.

I don't have the stats for my own area, but we've been well below average many of our spring and summer days, too. Example~yesterday our high was 13 below avg. Our low was only 2 degrees too high to tie our record low that was set in 1900. We've had some nice days, too but we didn't get summer weather until the third week of June. This happened a few years ago and we actually ended up with a decent winter. Just the opposite of what one would expect.

Parts of the South are really having a cool down right now. I'll bet many people are enjoying that break.

But back to the Northeast~I'm sorry because I'll bet a lot of people were hoping for a nice, warm summer. The pics on TWC are sad. People are walking around dressed up like it's Nov.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:43 AM

659 posts, read 899,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I posted this somewhere on TWF yesterday. TWC has been talking about how chilly it has been in the Northeast. NYC averaging 5 below normal temps. Boston is avg. 4 degrees below average temps. Of course, they did their "sensationalism" thing when they were talking about the above avg. in the Southwest. 5 degrees above avg. and 3 degrees above avg. were the best they could come up with for the Southwest. So to me it was all a wash.

They went on to say that NYC broke records with the most days for not hitting 85 degrees.

As far as why it's happening~my theory has never changed and I believe a Supreme Being is in control of our weather. He's not bringing on an ice age nor is he bringing on global warming.

I don't have the stats for my own area, but we've been well below average many of our spring and summer days, too. Example~yesterday our high was 13 below avg. Our low was only 2 degrees too high to tie our record low that was set in 1900. We've had some nice days, too but we didn't get summer weather until the third week of June. This happened a few years ago and we actually ended up with a decent winter. Just the opposite of what one would expect.

Parts of the South are really having a cool down right now. I'll bet many people are enjoying that break.

But back to the Northeast~I'm sorry because I'll bet a lot of people were hoping for a nice, warm summer. The pics on TWC are sad. People are walking around dressed up like it's Nov.
Huh?

I know many that are relieved to be free of the heat/humidity this summer. Do you know how high electric bills can be during a hot summer?

Supreme Being?

I know I have a low post count and all, but is this turning into church or an AA meeting? I'm praying to the "higher power" for more lower than average temperatures.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:27 AM

It's an explanation as to how I feel about the global warming theory. Keep in mind that I said, "Theory" and that's all it is. There are many people who will make massive fortunes if they can convince others of this.

I'd also like to point something out to you in your previous post. You stated how the majority of scientists believe in it. There are thousands of scientists who think it's hogwash. They'll let the others rant on just like they did in the 1970s with their, "The ice age is coming."

Now, I had allowed you to state your opinion on it, yet when I stated mine, I was ridiculed. Why is it that whenever we've tried to discuss "global warming", it's always the believers who like to lash out at anyone who doesn't blindly follow THEIR beliefs?

This was actually a topic about the chilly weather in the Northeast. Global warming may be something to throw into this thread, but it is NOT the main topic and my previous post did not make it the main topic.

And no, this is not an AA meeting or church. If you aren't comfortable with my posts, there are many other forums in City Data. I suggest you find one you're comfortable with.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:39 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
It's an explanation as to how I feel about the global warming theory. Keep in mind that I said, "Theory" and that's all it is. There are many people who will make massive fortunes if they can convince others of this.

I'd also like to point something out to you in your previous post. You stated how the majority of scientists believe in it. There are thousands of scientists who think it's hogwash. They'll let the others rant on just like they did in the 1970s with their, "The ice age is coming."

Now, I had allowed you to state your opinion on it, yet when I stated mine, I was ridiculed. Why is it that whenever we've tried to discuss "global warming", it's always the believers who like to lash out at anyone who doesn't blindly follow THEIR beliefs?

This was actually a topic about the chilly weather in the Northeast. Global warming may be something to throw into this thread, but it is NOT the main topic and my previous post did not make it the main topic.

And no, this is not an AA meeting or church. If you aren't comfortable with my posts, there are many other forums in City Data. I suggest you find one you're comfortable with.
Um... Based on the above comments you probably are not suited to be moderator of a forum on weather.

I dont think your feelings about a Supreme being, which has nothing to do with the topic, should be brought into the thread. Also I wouldn't trust someone's comments on Global warming, which is a scientific issue, who says I trust a Supreme being over science. You pretty much discredit yourself with comments like that.

The beleivers in a Supreme being vs. the scientific community. I think I know which side I'm going with.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:34 PM

Moderator cut: I was merely explaining my point of view just as the other member did and I have that right even if some of you aren't in agreement with it. However, my "being fit" for moderation is not for you to determine. HMMM, both from Mass??? This thread is closed. Take your rhetoric elsewhere.

Last edited by Jammie; 07-18-2009 at 04:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather