Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:22 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times

Advertisements

Hi...

I just saw a press release from the Midwest Climate Center in Champaign Illinois. Prelim temperature data indicate that for the Midwest as a whole it was the coldest July on record. Many individual climate stations set monthly records as well. Here is the info...

ISWS - Midwest Sets Record Cold Temperatures in July

Dan
Meteorologist in GF ND
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 10:18 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Thank you for the link, Dan. I believe every word of it cause it's been chilly in the upper Midwest this summer. It seems like our local station said this ended up being our 4th coldest July in recorded history. I'd originally heard it was our coldest, but I don't think that was accurate.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:23 AM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
Same here, Jammie! Thanks for the link, interesting reading, Dan! I thought ours was the coldest but the NWS in Green Bay claims the 3rd coldest.

Of course, the temps over here vary quite a bit from Green Bay (in either direction colder/warmer) but I'm 30+ miles away so that would be splitting hairs, I suppose!

Old 08-05-2009, 12:23 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,464,547 times
According to this website, there is STILL ice in the southern Hudson Bay (despite near record low overall ice extent). Though it is about 1000 miles north of Midwest, usually the ice there melts by late spring.

Arctic Sea Ice News & Analysis

Old 08-05-2009, 03:04 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
According to this website, there is STILL ice in the southern Hudson Bay (despite near record low overall ice extent). Though it is about 1000 miles north of Midwest, usually the ice there melts by late spring.

Arctic Sea Ice News & Analysis
Is that what the article says, that the ice is gone by late spring?

From the stories I hear, lakes in "northern" (55+ degrees north?) parts of Canada usually have ice until late May.
I imagine Hudson bay would hang on to their ice a little longer, from ocean currents.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:30 PM

No that part wasn't stated in the article. Depending on the definition, spring can last until June 21. I'd assumed ice would be gone by then.
Here is the info from Wiki:
Hudson Bay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-05-2009, 04:37 PM

^^

Ah...

I really don't know how people in northern Ontario count the seasons,
but what makes sense to me is June is "early summer" as it is down here...
(I believe when I was working in northern Alberta, June also counted as early summer)
however I would have expected the ice to be gone before "mid-summer" so that would make sense.

*I would also expect "May" to be "spring month" too;
though a "northern spring" might normally have occaisional ice and snow still.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:01 PM

Interesting. Looks like summer starts earlier in Canada than in the US (at least as far as conventions go). When does the ice melt on Lake Ontario?

BTW if you lived in northern Alberta, Toronto should seem balmy to you. How do they compare?

Old 08-05-2009, 05:27 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
Now that I'm in NE Wisc., my gauge is to drive through Point Beach State Forest and see how much snow is there among the trees! This year it was very late leaving and of course, I call my sister in da UP, give her grief, she usually has snow in the middle of May and Bay de Noc still has ice!

Old 08-05-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Interesting. Looks like summer starts earlier in Canada than in the US (at least as far as conventions go). When does the ice melt on Lake Ontario?

BTW if you lived in northern Alberta, Toronto should seem balmy to you. How do they compare?
I think we just have different standards, not warmer weather.
Ex: In Canada, it would be impossible for a meteorologist to justify calling anything highs above 43 F (6 C) "winter" weather;
whereas at least in half the U.S.A. anything under 55 F could easily pass for winter. Also in Canada, "spring" in southern Canada means the ground shouldn't freeze solid, and if it snows, the snow should melt within hours. It can be warm, but it doesn't imply "warmth."

When does the ice melt in Lake Ontario?
It never totally freezes over; too deep... It only gets a crust around the lake edge
Only in a severely-cold winter might the ice extend several hundred feet out from the shore.
(this makes a big difference when comparing us with places further north; they have a lot more ice to melt )
I can easily expect to see no ice by Lake Ontario at all by April 1st.
Snow? Maybe, but it's usually wet snow by that time of year.
The ice probably disappears sometime in March,
but it's not too unusual to have no ice around the lake during milder parts of winter.

*Actually I was only there from early-May to mid-August. Since Alberta has a strongly-continental climate, relative to their annual temp. range, they warm up early but also cool down early, making autumn and winter start earlier as well.

Most of the time there was little-to-no difference temperature-wise, with the exception that there tends to be more day-to-day temp variations, and rainy days tend to be a lot cooler/colder than their days with no precip. There also tended to be less wind and/or humidity during periods where it might have been colder than Toronto, also helping to lessen the difference. However, northern Alberta CAN see nearly as much humidity as southern Ontario... it's just the higher humidity can easily stick around more than 2 weeks in Toronto.

Best way to compare a 14-day forecast in northern Alberta is a rollercoaster ride of temps, where it's common to see highs swing 20 F, and the graph of the highs might look like a yo-yo, changing direction 2-5 times. In Toronto, a 14-day forecast would normally have highs swinging 10-15 F, and the graph might change direction 1-3 times.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 08-05-2009 at 10:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather