Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 05:32 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2az2id View Post
A few years ago went back home to visit family in Northern Ohio in August. Sitting on the porch with sweat dripping off my nose, shirt soaked with sweat and fighting mosquitoes my brother asks " how in the world can you live in Phoenix in the summer". I just said its a lot better then this and I couldn't wait to get back to Phx. To each his own I guess....
Two summers ago, we had numerous record-breaking days in August. I recall several says with temperatures a hair over 110. However, the humidity was only about 25%, so it actually bothered me less than what we had yesterday, which was temperatures in the low 90s with a mixture of showers and sun. It's the sun after the showers that are so horrible, since the humidity is still hovering neat 100%. It's disgusting, and I find it considerably more uncomfortable than those 110 degree, low humidity days. There's a darn good reason that people say, "It's not the heat, it's the humidity."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 05:57 PM

59 posts, read 52,818 times
Any state on the gulf coast, especially the parts of those states that are within 100 miles of the gulf coast. Just horrible humidity and sticky heat all summer long. It's disgusting. It's bad enough here in the DFW area, but far worse in places like Louisiana where you step out of the shower and immediately begin to sweat.

Although today I'd trade places with the weather in New Orleans, it's a good 10 degrees cooler there than it is here.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:47 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
Isn't that unusual or do the run temps very close? New Orleans to me is awfully humid, I've visited in late May, not ideal weather!

I haven't been to Houston, Corpus Christi, or that area of the Gulf and probably never would in the summer. I've been to Gulfport, Mississippi and Gulf Shores, Alabama again in the Spring and it was already too hot, the Gulf was like swimming in a bath tub!

Old 08-20-2009, 08:55 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I live in texas and thought it was hot but nevada and arizona wer the hoittest ;dustiest place i have ever been. When the wind blow it is terrible. I guess it depends on what you like as when my family lived in pennsylvannia I thought the mornings were too cold ofwen in the summer and forget from opctober to may with the winters. Guess more what you get use to really.From late september to mid june I really like the weather where I live on the texas coast.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:06 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,961,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk72 View Post
I agree. I'll take the brutal dry heat of June, July and August in Phoenix over the humidity found else where. I know hot is hot but there really is a difference.
I find it much easier to sit outside around the pool with a beer in 115 than 96 and 80%+ humidity. And when you get out of the pool you actually feel chilly for a little bit because the water is evaporating off your skin so fast.

Plus the other 9 months are to die for
96 degrees with 80% humidity NEVER happens....wow what a hyperbole. It's one thing that annoys the crap out of me is that people out west assume that our 95 degree days come with 95% humidity.....it leaves me dumbfounded that people can be this ignorant. First off, if a 110 degree day EVER happens east of the Mississippi chances are that it would be with the same humidity as a 110 degree day in Phoenix. Which is WHY 100 degree days are rare anywhere east of the Mississippi is because of the plentiful humidity in the air. If the temperature is 95+ east of the mississippi chances are that the humidity is going to be less that 50%, unless you're on the Florida penninsula where it can still be in the 60-70% range if it's 95, and that's only because we're surrounded by fricken water. Everytime someone says "oh this summer we had so many days of 90 degree days with 100% humidity" I just roll my eyes.......it's really annoying.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:48 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,573 times
Perth because it hardly ever rains and it's always sunny nearly every day. Adelaide comes a close second and Melbourne third.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:08 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
96 degrees with 80% humidity NEVER happens....wow what a hyperbole. It's one thing that annoys the crap out of me is that people out west assume that our 95 degree days come with 95% humidity.....it leaves me dumbfounded that people can be this ignorant. First off, if a 110 degree day EVER happens east of the Mississippi chances are that it would be with the same humidity as a 110 degree day in Phoenix. Which is WHY 100 degree days are rare anywhere east of the Mississippi is because of the plentiful humidity in the air. If the temperature is 95+ east of the mississippi chances are that the humidity is going to be less that 50%, unless you're on the Florida penninsula where it can still be in the 60-70% range if it's 95, and that's only because we're surrounded by fricken water. Everytime someone says "oh this summer we had so many days of 90 degree days with 100% humidity" I just roll my eyes.......it's really annoying.

---" the humidity is going to be less than 50 %---

Weather statistics don't back up your claim !

Just about all locations in the SE have afternoon humidty in the 60's or higher.

Very few of those places have humidity in the 50's.

Don't take my word--------check out locations all throughout TN, GA, SC,AL,MS , using city-data detailed profile .

Old 08-21-2009, 07:21 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
I've seen it in the 90s here with 100% humidity many times...when it's raining. Just earlier this week when I got home from work it was 91 degrees with 80% humidity, and when it was 111 here a couple of summers ago, the humidity was 25%, which is a little more humidity than Arizona usually sees, I believe. Of course, that sort of humidity isn't normal here. Normally when it's in the 90s here the humidity is 40-50%. Rarely lower, though.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:32 AM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
I find it very hard to believe, we rarely get less than 60% let alone 50% in NE Wisconsin, all year!

Old 08-21-2009, 01:30 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,573 times
Another vote for the lone star state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather