Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 10:44 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
I'd consider Alberta. It is cold but much drier and sunnier. Summers are not hot at all, with very cool nights. Plus Calgary and Edmonton are actual cities - either one is much larger than even Halifax.
Unless you stay in the mountains,
you'd be unable to rely on it "not getting hot."
The main thing I noticed in Alberta is that their summers are even more changeable.

When I was in Ft. McMurray we had a 2 week spell of 83-93 F highs, 60-73 F lows,
at least 10 days with highs exceeding 86 F and lows above 65 F
and afternoon humidity exceeding 50% somedays,
terrible convective thunderstorms at times
it was nearly as hot and muggy as "southern Ontario's worst"
and this is at the 56.5 parallel!

Edmonton would be similar to Fort McMurray for it's hottest days,
Calgary might be a hair milder due to its altitude.

*Coastal B.C. aside,
the only places in Canada to escape from potential summer days that can be incredibly hot
is to live where winters can be incredibly brutal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 11:06 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,232 times
The average high for McMurray in July is 75F which is actually a couple of degrees higher than that of Calgary or Edmonton. It is a continental climate in all those places so extremes are too be expected but I doubt 85+ days are very common.

It looks like southern Alberta is like a colder version of Colorado.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:20 AM

5,296 posts, read 7,235,512 times
?Summer.......has is started yet?

Oh wait,,,,, there were a couple weeks that resembled Summer.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:10 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,019,364 times
August

Very cool.

Average high of just 65f.
Several nights below 50f.
Most days not exceeding 68f/20c.
Highest high of just 23.4c/74f.
Only 112 hours sunshine all month. (25% of the max possible).

Old 08-30-2009, 03:49 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
August

Very cool.

Average high of just 65f.
Several nights below 50f.
Most days not exceeding 68f/20c.
Highest high of just 23.4c/74f.
Only 112 hours sunshine all month. (25% of the max possible).
oh man sorry to hear that, talk about a vomit of a climate

Our average high here is running at about 17C/63F (only 1C less than you) with 176 hours of sun, and it still feels cold and cloudy all the time, I couldn't imagine getting this (and less sunshine to boot) in summer

Old 08-30-2009, 04:39 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,019,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
oh man sorry to hear that, talk about a vomit of a climate

Our average high here is running at about 17C/63F (only 1C less than you) with 176 hours of sun, and it still feels cold and cloudy all the time, I couldn't imagine getting this (and less sunshine to boot) in summer
Not to mention, there have been no storms here all August, and on 28th the maximum temperature was 12c/53f.

I was in a terrible mood all day, swearing in public, very angry, and rightly so.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
The average high for McMurray in July is 75F which is actually a couple of degrees higher than that of Calgary or Edmonton. It is a continental climate in all those places so extremes are too be expected but I doubt 85+ days are very common.

It looks like southern Alberta is like a colder version of Colorado.
Regardless of them being common or not,
you cannot say that "...Well since it's way out West/North, at least the humidity will be low..."
as I would have assumed before actually working there.

Humidity-wise, Ontario is just more predictably-humid, humidity levels usually change gradually
whereas in Ft.McMurray it's also quite changeable, leaving some days wondering
"...why does it feel like one of the hottest days in Ontario all the way up here?..."

Temperature-wise,
I'd say Edmonton has more in common with Ft. McMurray than Calgary if you want to go by averages.

The highly-changeable nature of summer in Alberta might be even worse for Lamplight,
since you don't get time to acclimate to periods of higher humidity.

One day you wake up and *WHAM* the dewpoint has shot up 15+ F
This is more "the norm" rather than "the exception."

Perhaps very high, remote mountain areas wouldn't experience though;
Calgary is near the Foothills, not the actual Rockies; they are about 1.5 hours further west

Old 08-30-2009, 04:50 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,477 times
Quote:
Not to mention, there have been no storms here all August, and on 28th the maximum temperature was 12c/53f.
oh god I feel sick just reading this. Not even us down here in the coldest place in Australia did we get a day of 12C. Our lowest daytime high this month was 13.8C. last time we got a 12C day was in early June! We also had 3 storm days this month, one with an insane hailstorm which carpeted the ground like snow. That was kewl! However, that was more storms in this single month then for the entire time this year, and for the spring/summer storm season last year

Quote:
I was in a terrible mood all day, swearing in public, very angry, and rightly so.
Don't blame ya man!

Old 08-30-2009, 05:31 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
Quote:

That's pretty much my favorite weather! Ah, cloudy and cool. (although I do prefer a storm occasionally)

Old 08-30-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
That's pretty much my favorite weather! Ah, cloudy and cool. (although I do prefer a storm occasionally)
If you'd hate extreme-cold but also warmth too,
maybe moving to the British Isles would be a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather