Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 12:42 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Melbourne's average low in January is a pathetic 59F/15C, so they are actually warmer
Only 59 I thought Melbourne was closer to the equator, NYC's low in July is around 72, this August it never dropped below 70 yet .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 04:01 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,452,494 times
I don't mind high levels of humidity with heat, apart from when playing sports, thats the worst thing.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:15 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
^^

Yeah but your seasons don't change nearly as quick...

By October most places have their average lows close to 40.....and by November it's below 30...seasons change quick in a 4-season climate.
Just a note…

I realize the Northeastern United States is a large area – from northern Maine 600 –miles south to the Washington DC. However… “average lows are ABOVE 30 F in most places in the Northeast south of Massachusetts (Connecticut south to DC). If you look at the official NWS data for NYC, Hartford, CT, and Bridgeport, CT…there are only about three full months when the average low is below 30 F …Dec/Jan/Feb.

In fact, “on average” places like NYC, Trenton, NJ, or Bridgeport, CT …have less than 90 days a year with lows below 30 F. Normally, only the period from December 12th to March 7 th have average lows below 30 F. Here is the NWS Almanac if you are interested:

Climatological Data - Upton, NY

Old 08-27-2009, 07:10 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
Excellent point as people tend to zero in on the bad (myself included sometimes in late fall/winter).

I see people saying all the time about the Upper Midwest and the Northeast that we have six months of winter, temps lower than 30° for months on end, too funny!

Checking the averages for where I am, which varies a great deal, Dec.-Feb. were the only months that the temp was less than 30°F. Lows are below 30° for more than 3 mos. maybe but I'm sleeping!

Of course, we have less than warm summers, which people that want a 80-90° summer, not happening here. High 80's, maybe a few 90's do happen but not too many.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:50 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,895,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Only 59 I thought Melbourne was closer to the equator, NYC's low in July is around 72, this August it never dropped below 70 yet .
Melbourne is the last stop to Antarctica, there is nothing but thousands of miles of extremely cold ocean to the south which throws up an unlimited supply of cold fronts, causing extremely cold summer nights with many cold and overcast drizzly "crummer" days aswell.

Night's below 15C/59C are very common, atleat 50% of all crummer nights are below 15C/59F. Nights above 20C/68F are extremely rare, perhaps occuring 10 times per summer at most, due to the extremely cold oceans to the south.

It is a blow to the balls.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:46 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Excellent point as people tend to zero in on the bad (myself included sometimes in late fall/winter).

I see people saying all the time about the Upper Midwest and the Northeast that we have six months of winter, temps lower than 30° for months on end, too funny!

Checking the averages for where I am, which varies a great deal, Dec.-Feb. were the only months that the temp was less than 30°F. Lows are below 30° for more than 3 mos. maybe but I'm sleeping!

Of course, we have less than warm summers, which people that want a 80-90° summer, not happening here. High 80's, maybe a few 90's do happen but not too many.
You are quite right…folks do seem to hype the negative more than the positive in weather. One bad weather day = 7 good weather days (lol). Still, I think the problem is with geography as well. People seem to group the whole United States… outside the subtropical south and California into one climate zone. You bring up a great example – not only is there a great variation in winters in the Midwest (from Fargo to say Indy), but there is a great difference between winters in the Midwest/Great lakes/New England and winters in the I-95 corridor/Middle Atlantic. Places like New Jersey or Maryland for example, share little with places like Wisconsin, Michigan, or New Hampshire in winter.

Since I have time to kill at work…let me give another good example. Take heating costs and Heating Degree-Days (HDD). Take a look at the map below of the Central and Eastern United States: Places like the Dakotas, Minnosata, Wisconsin, New Hampshire, and Maine…etc average 7000 to 9000 HDD a winter…while places from southern Connecticut south to Maryland average from 4500 to 5800 HDD. Obviovuly, the duration of the heating season in a place like Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Maine is much longer (and potentially more costly) …than in a place like the New Jersey or Long Island, NY. In fact, places in the Northeast like southern New Jersey or Maryland… have almost HALF as many HDD (4500) as places in the upper Midwest like Wisconsin or Minnesota or in New England like Maine, Vermont, or New Hampshire.

I think a big part of the problem when it comes to cold hype in the northern United States – is people tend to think the winter is the same across the USA everywhere outside the subtropical south/Gulf States and California. It is even worse for people who live outside the USA: Someone in Australia or England thinks NYC or DC has the same winter as Chicago or Minneapolis …they tend to forget that the Atlantic Ocean is there bring up warmth and humidity from the subtropics. This is the reason why that snow/cold can never really hang around long in most places from southern Connecticut/Long Island south...the advection of warmth from the subtropical Atlantic.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:47 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I am now officially tired of the heat and humidity. The dewpoints have been in the 70s for five days in a row. That is five days too long for me.

What is your tolerance threshold when it comes to dewpoints?

50sF and lower is generally in the "comfortable" range.
Between 60F and 70F is generally classified as "humid."
Any dewpoint above 70F is generally considered oppressive.

I like a little humidity so my ideal range would be 55F to 60F for a dewpoint during the summer season.
VERY LOW tolerance. I like NO humidity. Even if it's 64 degrees out and humid, put on the a/c to get the humidity out, and leave windows closed.

We've had a rare, cool, (scarcely humid) summer here in Minnesota.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:59 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
Wow, great map, I like it and excellent explanations! Interesting on the map, Door County and Green Bay are darker 8000, where I am a little lighter or 7000.

I moved to Wisconsin 2 yrs. ago and everyone said, you'll love our winters, not as cold or snowy as the rest of Wisconsin, so far hasn't happened! The weather hasn't been "normal" since I got here!

Old 08-27-2009, 07:11 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
------" from Fargo to say Indiana "--

looking at your map ( or any map/atlas ) of the US will quickly show that Indiana is a lot further south than Fargo North Dakota.

Yup, that does make a huge difference in winter temps

Old 08-27-2009, 08:08 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,956,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Just a note…

I realize the Northeastern United States is a large area – from northern Maine 600 –miles south to the Washington DC. However… “average lows are ABOVE 30 F in most places in the Northeast south of Massachusetts (Connecticut south to DC). If you look at the official NWS data for NYC, Hartford, CT, and Bridgeport, CT…there are only about three full months when the average low is below 30 F …Dec/Jan/Feb.

In fact, “on average” places like NYC, Trenton, NJ, or Bridgeport, CT …have less than 90 days a year with lows below 30 F. Normally, only the period from December 12th to March 7 th have average lows below 30 F. Here is the NWS Almanac if you are interested:

Climatological Data - Upton, NY
I know what what you are saying....and you are absolutely correct. But, I was mostly talking about inland cities like Albany, NY or Burlington, VT for example. Believe me, I get REALLY annoyed when people from DC, Philly or NYC compalin about how "cold" their winters are. For crying out loud, DC averages 27 for a low in Jan, Philly is 25, and NYC is 27 as well. Nashville, TN also has an average of 26 in Jan. And I rarely hear their residents complain about how "cold" their winters are. As a matter of fact, on a normal winter I think Nashville's extreme low would be a few degrees colder than DC/Philly or NYC. Most of the "Northeast corridor"'s winters are severely overhyped by their natives. Some people act like NYC has severe cold winters, when the temp goes below 0 there about once average 5-10 years lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather