U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 03:02 AM

11,346 posts, read 9,825,785 times

Advertisements

Odd, their fire season coincides with ours.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 02:48 PM

9,878 posts, read 5,607,158 times
So what’s new? Ca is always in a “drought” and the hills burn every year. Some people act like this is some kind of new phenomenon or something. It’s not... it’s Ca.

Old 09-07-2020, 04:00 PM

12,065 posts, read 11,173,763 times
Hopefully the rainy season starts off strong in California in early November and is consistent from November to early March.

I want a strong system to lash northern California around Thanksgiving and then a strong system to lash southern California around Christmas. Then I want a constant barage of systems from Christmas until Valentine's Day with each system producing 3-4" of rain on northern and then southern CA.

Then I want March to taper off a bit with light showers and then a final rainstorm in late March in southern CA and a final system in northern CA in early mid April before the dryness sets in again.

I want all reservoirs refilled during the rainy season so everything starts off in a good position. Then let the bone dry summer commence.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:59 PM

4,151 posts, read 1,717,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
So what’s new? Ca is always in a “drought” and the hills burn every year. Some people act like this is some kind of new phenomenon or something. It’s not... it’s Ca.
A lot of people are surprised that there's triple digit temps in California (outside of the desert) because they think that California is the land of perfect weather, where you don't need AC during the summer. Tourists only go to coastal SoCal, walk along the beach in Santa Monica and Venice and La Jolla, or coastal NorCal, walk around SF proper, and then they conclude that Californians don't need AC during the summer. They don't have the foggiest idea that there's millions of people living in the Central Valley, the Inland Empire, and San Fernando Valley who need AC, because none of these areas are areas your average tourist is visiting. They don't know that a thirty minutes drive inland can mean twenty degrees hotter.

They're also not aware that even typically mild coastal locations can see big fluctuations in summer temps including heat waves.

They're also not aware of the Santa Ana winds that fan the fires, because once again, coastal, touristy areas seldom see Santa Ana winds.

Old 09-08-2020, 03:55 PM

10,647 posts, read 6,622,230 times
This thread was started in 2009, when there actually was a drought. California is not drought-stricken right now. The long summer dry season is normal. It's not supposed to be raining in June, July, August, September, or October.

We did have an intense heat wave over the weekend and were very grateful for a/c on Saturday and Sunday, but starting yesterday it was like a switch was flipped. Our high temperatures did not even reach the forecast of 86; it only got to 77.

Old 09-08-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Hopefully the rainy season starts off strong in California in early November and is consistent from November to early March.

I want a strong system to lash northern California around Thanksgiving and then a strong system to lash southern California around Christmas. Then I want a constant barage of systems from Christmas until Valentine's Day with each system producing 3-4" of rain on northern and then southern CA.

Then I want March to taper off a bit with light showers and then a final rainstorm in late March in southern CA and a final system in northern CA in early mid April before the dryness sets in again.

I want all reservoirs refilled during the rainy season so everything starts off in a good position. Then let the bone dry summer commence.
This all sounds really good to me. But let's not have the rain happen right during the two holidays...how about the week before or the week after?

Old 09-08-2020, 04:24 PM

12,065 posts, read 11,173,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This all sounds really good to me. But let's not have the rain happen right during the two holidays...how about the week before or the week after?
When I lived in northern CA, it usually rained every Thanksgiving and Christmas I was there. Nothing like eating a nice giant feast of turkey and fixings while it's pouring down outside. If the rain stopped we would usually get in the hot tub with wine.

This poster probably doesn't realize that dry summers are the norm in California. It aint' gonna rain until November so deal with it. I actually liked the stability of the summers, you could always plan something. Then the winters offered a different climate regime. I kind of like the two season climate. Here in Texas we can experience all four seasons in one day.

Old 09-08-2020, 06:55 PM

218 posts, read 68,937 times
Even though I know the science behind California's climate, I still always find it hard to believe that while everyone else is sweltering in summer heat in June and July, coastal Californians are shivering at times in the foggy "June Gloom" weather. Then as everyone else starts to cool down in September and October, California, including the coastal areas, get the most horrendous of heat waves, winds, and wildfires.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:17 PM

75,848 posts, read 59,859,681 times
Holy wow!!! "2020"

https://twitter.com/CPitawanichKGW/s...814698496?s=19

Old 09-08-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by segfault1361 View Post
Even though I know the science behind California's climate, I still always find it hard to believe that while everyone else is sweltering in summer heat in June and July, coastal Californians are shivering at times in the foggy "June Gloom" weather. Then as everyone else starts to cool down in September and October, California, including the coastal areas, get the most horrendous of heat waves, winds, and wildfires.
Yes. I've known tourists who came to go to the beach in June because they thought it would be hot, and also tourists who came in the fall thinking it would have cooled down. Then there is the factor that it's green here in the winter and brown in the summer, rather than vice versa. Everything is a little bit off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather