U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 10:39 PM

12,064 posts, read 11,305,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
It's eerily beautiful. I'm sure the smoke is bad though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by segfault1361 View Post
Even though I know the science behind California's climate, I still always find it hard to believe that while everyone else is sweltering in summer heat in June and July, coastal Californians are shivering at times in the foggy "June Gloom" weather. Then as everyone else starts to cool down in September and October, California, including the coastal areas, get the most horrendous of heat waves, winds, and wildfires.
I always explain to people that the summer in CA is shifted when you're on the coast. Summer is August, September, and October in the southland and only September/October up north. Fall is November through February and Spring is March through August in the north and March through July in the south. There really is no winter in the sense one thinks because days in the 60's and 70's can always occur. There is a precipitation difference but because of the fog it's not marked like inland. Also sometimes in the morning fog there is drizzle. Actually part of the reason the redwood trees can grow is from November to April it is rainy and from May to August it is foggy. The redwood trees absorb the fog. There is a narrow period in late summer/early fall where there is no fog and that is the redwood trees dormant period.

Inland, it's summer from May to October and then winter from November to April. Summer is hot and dry and winter is cool and rainy. It's two season and the winter is quite mild although there are cold spells. The big differentiator is precipitation.

Old 09-09-2020, 12:33 AM

7,238 posts, read 3,667,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
These fires are proof that even California climate is not perfect.

Seriously, these fires happen every year, just like tornadoes in Tornado Alley and floods along the Mississippi river, or hurricanes on the Gulf Coast and eastern seaboard.
Other than fires, mudslides and earthquakes, California is not perfect. There are forest fires in California that result in mudslides. That must really suck - sitting in your mudslide mansion when a mudslide has you buried up to your neck.

Old 09-09-2020, 12:40 AM

7,238 posts, read 3,667,454 times
Is there a general link to California fires today?

When I do a google search for info on fires today in California, I get 2017 Oprah/Ellen and 2018 mudslides.

Links to the fire department seem to be about promotion and marketing rather than information.
Does anyone have a link to the California fire daily update perimeter?

Old 09-09-2020, 04:28 AM

20,147 posts, read 13,094,654 times
Not a state you could pay me to live in. At least they get some weather unlike FL that is hot year round.

Old 09-09-2020, 09:14 AM

4,151 posts, read 1,781,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes. I've known tourists who came to go to the beach in June because they thought it would be hot, and also tourists who came in the fall thinking it would have cooled down. Then there is the factor that it's green here in the winter and brown in the summer, rather than vice versa. Everything is a little bit off.
What sucks is that for whatever reason, it seems like every Labor Day there's a massive heat wave, which means people all flock to the beach even more because it's one of those small windows of opportunity to get warm temps at the beach. Otherwise, expect temps in the seventies with strong breeze.

Also, it's actually greenest during the late winter/early Spring, around March. You'll still see brown hills December and January.

Old 09-09-2020, 09:28 AM

5,760 posts, read 5,887,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Is there a general link to California fires today?
https://www.fire.ca.gov/

There is a link at the top to "Incidents".

A Google search of the term, "status of california fires", brings up a lot of media sites. The one at the L.A. Times is pretty good.

https://www.latimes.com/wildfires-map/

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-09-2020, 04:30 PM

76,004 posts, read 60,632,776 times
Cool Satellite view and sorta good news in all this

https://twitter.com/NWSBayArea/statu...57408678760448

Old 09-09-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post

Also, it's actually greenest during the late winter/early Spring, around March. You'll still see brown hills December and January.
False. In northern CA the hills are usually green by mid November even in the driest years. (I lived there)

In southern CA the hills are usually greened up in December. Peak rain is February in both regions. Ironic because the shortest month has the most rain there. If you want to see the LA River flowing, the best chance is in February but usually there is a strong system that hits in December and another in January.

Old 09-09-2020, 05:51 PM

702 posts, read 511,896 times
^In my experience it usually starts to become green in november or december (depending on rainfall) but becomes the greenest in march or april. Shortly after it heats up and the rain stops, all the grass quickly becomes brown.

iirc, there was a very dry winter season (2014-2015?) where it was brown until feb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather