U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 07:57 PM

10,954 posts, read 6,904,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
False. In northern CA the hills are usually green by mid November even in the driest years. (I lived there)

In southern CA the hills are usually greened up in December. Peak rain is February in both regions. Ironic because the shortest month has the most rain there. If you want to see the LA River flowing, the best chance is in February but usually there is a strong system that hits in December and another in January.
I agree. The very first time there is any significant rain, green grass starts growing. It could be October (but not often), or it could be November or December, but unless it's such a bad year that it doesn't rain at all, and we did have a couple of those in recent memory, the hills are green by January.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 09:46 AM

4,151 posts, read 1,781,133 times
Quote:
False. In northern CA the hills are usually green by mid November even in the driest years. (I lived there)

In southern CA the hills are usually greened up in December. Peak rain is February in both regions. Ironic because the shortest month has the most rain there. If you want to see the LA River flowing, the best chance is in February but usually there is a strong system that hits in December and another in January.
But remember that SoCal has had a lot of drought years recently, and I'm speaking from a SoCal point of view.

The residential neighborhoods are green all year round thanks to evergreens and irrigation, though.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:07 AM

12,064 posts, read 11,305,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin171 View Post
^In my experience it usually starts to become green in november or december (depending on rainfall) but becomes the greenest in march or april. Shortly after it heats up and the rain stops, all the grass quickly becomes brown.

iirc, there was a very dry winter season (2014-2015?) where it was brown until feb.
Yeah, that's my experience as well. Yes there can be anomalies where it's brown until Feb. There are also times when it greens up in October from an early season rain.

My nephew has a picture in front of the Hollywood sign in January of this year and the hills look green like Ireland. It was New Year's Day.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's my experience as well. Yes there can be anomalies where it's brown until Feb. There are also times when it greens up in October from an early season rain.

My nephew has a picture in front of the Hollywood sign in January of this year and the hills look green like Ireland. It was New Year's Day.
The winter rains last winter started early for SoCal, though. It really depends year to year, Feb 2018 on Google Street view in Irvine shows mostly brown hills.

I guess hills facing the ocean might green up earlier from the fog, but foothills in Inland Orange County green later.

SoCal weather is pretty complicated, one man's microclimate is not another man's microclimate. We all have different experiences as such.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin171 View Post
^In my experience it usually starts to become green in november or december (depending on rainfall) but becomes the greenest in march or april. Shortly after it heats up and the rain stops, all the grass quickly becomes brown.

iirc, there was a very dry winter season (2014-2015?) where it was brown until feb.
I can agree with this. It slowly starts to get green (assuming a non drought year) in December but if you're talking about entire hillsides of pure green then that happens in March. That's what I mean by green, not just some green mixed in with the brown.

I lived in SoCal up until 2017, drought seems to be getting more common and winter rains keep coming later, although this winter it seemed like winter rains came very early for SoCal. The old timers in SoCal probably are right in that twenty plus years ago, the hills started greening earlier.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:

It's really not consistent, though. Looking at Irvine SR 73 during Feb 2018, you see most of the hills are brown. Same for Jan/Feb 2019. The fact is that rainfall in SoCal is not consistent year to year. Some years have tons of rain, some years are drought years, still other years have plenty of rain but December would be bone dry and the big storms would start in late January or February.

You got lots of rain early on in the season last winter in LA, that is not the case every year.

Also, hills facing the coast get greener earlier due to more fog, while those on the windward side don't green as early.

Then you have the fact that fires can char the landscape for a couple years in certain spots, diminishing from the greenery.

I am not saying that during every winter in California that the hills don't green up until February. I am simply saying that with California's highly variable wet seasons, you can't count on a January greening of the hills, not that it never happens.

I think sometimes you see me make a generalization, and then you think I am making an absolute statement. This happened last time with how I stated that Santa Ana winds usually blow in the fall and winter and are least likely in the summer. Instead of acknowledging that, you simply kept pointing out that Santa Ana winds blow in the summer. I never denied that, I simply said that Santa Ana winds blow infrequently during the summer, which is different from saying they never blow during the summer. And then you went silent.

Also, when I said that high dew points in California usually come with higher temps, you then said that that's not true, because there are many heat waves that come with dry heat. I never said that most heat waves in SoCal come with humid heat. I said most high dew points come with higher temps on SoCal, which is an entirely different proposition. So please read my posts carefully before making a straw man out of them and then ghosting me when I clarify my position.

Last edited by MrJester; 09-15-2020 at 10:16 AM..

Old 04-23-2021, 08:27 PM

76,005 posts, read 60,632,776 times
We need climate change to help California like it did in 2017, 2018 & 2019. Something was changed and it was a good thing.

https://twitter.com/thirstygecko/sta...83310940012544

Old 04-28-2021, 07:45 PM

23,585 posts, read 29,821,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Not a state you could pay me to live in. At least they get some weather unlike FL that is hot year round.
Not every area in California has 100 degree temperatures. Eureka and San Francisco are quite cool even in the summer.

As for fires, those who don't live in or near mountains or canyon areas are not living in a fire zone.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:34 PM

89,595 posts, read 84,755,864 times
It's a La Nina year. It's normal to have a dry year during La Nina. All those affected by it can do, is muddle through it, and hope that when it's over, there will be more precipitation.

Old 04-29-2021, 12:19 AM

23,585 posts, read 29,821,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's a La Nina year. It's normal to have a dry year during La Nina. All those affected by it can do, is muddle through it, and hope that when it's over, there will be more precipitation.
That's true. And last season, Los Angeles received above average rain, 19 inches (normal is 15 inches).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather