Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 08:04 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,895,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Does that place record the highest average dewpoints in Oz?

I could handle that.
Sweers Island can be nuts. It's a tiny low lying island surrounded by 32-33C waters.

Here is November 2008 - look at the 9am and 3pm columns with the temps and RH values. Plug those into a dewpoint converter and you have some serious humidity. November seems to be the worst month, just before the onset of the wet season. December is perhaps a tiny bit hotter, but with slightly less humidity. Jan and Feb are cooler, comparable to Darwin in terms of temp and dewpoint.

Sweers Island, Qld - November 2008 - Daily Weather Observations (http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/200811/html/IDCJDW4114.200811.shtml - broken link)
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/200812/html/IDCJDW4114.200812.shtml (broken link)
Cape Don in the NT is another nutter of a place.....dewpoints above 27C are routine there October thru till April.

The highest overnight lows in Australia can be found at Cockatoo Island in the Kimberelys....average lows are above 27C for 5 months of the year. Don't know what the dewpoints are as there is no AWS there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 04:21 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Sweers Island can be nuts. It's a tiny low lying island surrounded by 32-33C waters.

Here is November 2008 - look at the 9am and 3pm columns with the temps and RH values. Plug those into a dewpoint converter and you have some serious humidity. November seems to be the worst month, just before the onset of the wet season. December is perhaps a tiny bit hotter, but with slightly less humidity. Jan and Feb are cooler, comparable to Darwin in terms of temp and dewpoint.

Sweers Island, Qld - November 2008 - Daily Weather Observations (http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/200811/html/IDCJDW4114.200811.shtml - broken link)
Sweers Island, Qld - December 2008 - Daily Weather Observations (http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/200812/html/IDCJDW4114.200812.shtml - broken link)
Cape Don in the NT is another nutter of a place.....dewpoints above 27C are routine there October thru till April.

The highest overnight lows in Australia can be found at Cockatoo Island in the Kimberelys....average lows are above 27C for 5 months of the year. Don't know what the dewpoints are as there is no AWS there.
Neat stats!

I like how the lowest reading in a month is 24 C, yet the highest is "only" 36.7 C.
One of those reports for Sweers Island said 30.5 C with 93% humidity at 3 pm and calm winds.
That definitely sounds "steamy."

Cape Don? I'm surprised I've never heard of it before...

Cockatoo Island, WA doesn't have a weather station yet?
Aren't you a meteorology student?
You should build a weather station there.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Cape Don, a peninsula north of Darwin has already recorded a 27.8C dewpoint a few days ago.
I forgot that for Darwin tourism, they consider May-Sep the "Dry Season".
So I suppose a dewpoint of 27.8 C this early could catch some tourists off guard.
(dewpoints at 24+ C to me feel like the "should" be associated with somewhat cloudy or rainy weather. )

Old 09-11-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Neat stats!

I like how the lowest reading in a month is 24 C, yet the highest is "only" 36.7 C.
One of those reports for Sweers Island said 30.5 C with 93% humidity at 3 pm and calm winds.
That definitely sounds "steamy."
34.5C with 85% humidity at 3pm on the 24th, that equals a DP of 31.6C !

Quote:
Cape Don? I'm surprised I've never heard of it before...
It's not exactly NYC

Quote:
Cockatoo Island, WA doesn't have a weather station yet?
Aren't you a meteorology student?
You should build a weather station there.
No I'm not a met student.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
34.5C with 85% humidity at 3pm on the 24th, that equals a DP of 31.6C !

It's not exactly NYC

No I'm not a met student.
That's what I'd call "extreme" humidity.

I know a fair bit about Australian geography and I've never been there;
I'm a bit of a geography/climate buff... especially climates warmer than Canada's.
I like to read about them when our weather's lousy. (daydreaming of an escape )

Really? I remember you were in "uni" though... What are you studying?

Old 09-11-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
That's what I'd call "extreme" humidity.

I know a fair bit about Australian geography and I've never been there;
I'm a bit of a geography/climate buff... especially climates warmer than Canada's.
I like to read about them when our weather's lousy. (daydreaming of an escape )
Same here......hence the creation of Saab Island lol
Now, dewpoints of 30C have been known to occur on Saab Island, and some of the offshore Islands are warmer than Cockatoo Island.

Quote:
Really? I remember you were in "uni" though... What are you studying?
I was but flunked it. One of the subjects in mycourse was computer programming, and well, that is impossible and extremely boring and tedious. Computer programming is worse than death.

Going back to studying next year though.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Same here......hence the creation of Saab Island lol
Now, dewpoints of 30C have been known to occur on Saab Island, and some of the offshore Islands are warmer than Cockatoo Island.

I was but flunked it. One of the subjects in mycourse was computer programming, and well, that is impossible and extremely boring and tedious. Computer programming is worse than death.

Going back to studying next year though.
I'm not quite sure if comfort-wise I would have great difficulty with "extreme" humidity,
but it would make chips (crisps) go "rubbery" VERY fast,
plus it'd probably make a lot of ordinary tasks quite difficult.

Computer programming worse than death? lol.
I know what you're talking about.

Do you think your concentration would improve while studying in a warm/hot climate?
I find I study better outdoors when it's at least 22 C; I'm not distracted by my cool/cold frustrations.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:30 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,654,384 times
23C too hot? For Aussies???
The more weird thing is many people SHIVER at that temp at NEARBY lowland Java!!! (I like that temp though, about ideal for indoor).

Old 12-25-2014, 06:41 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,939,609 times
The OP should've posted a source/link for that.

23C may be a bit warm for Canberreans in September. In that month the average temperature is 16C with 3C lows. Still it's an over-exaggerated news story. Canberra experiences hot summers, so its inhabitants wouldn't have to worry about 23C "heat".

Old 12-25-2014, 07:15 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,654,384 times
The OP is "galaxyman" or "full overcast cold" (the melbourne guy)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather