Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 11:06 AM

3,512 posts, read 9,426,438 times

Advertisements

I tuned into the Weather Channel today and it was highlighting current weather conditions for select cities in the Northeast at the bottom of the screen and my city's weather ....Syracuse, NY....was one of the cities shown. This isn't just the local scrolling at the bottom....anyone could see these current conditions anywhere in the country.

It is a beautiful sunny day here in Syracuse and I was wondering if the Weather Channel would show that. To my surprise the Weather Channel clearly lied about the current conditions in Syracuse and stated the following:

Syracuse, NY
Temperature 62F
Showers in the Vicinity

The closest rain showers are over 200 miles away in Pennsylvania!

The real current Temperature at the time was 69F!

Now I remember why I stopped watching the Weather Channel. This isn't first time they have hidden any good weather in my town and tried (or lied) to highlight the bad weather. The weather channel just disturbs my peace with it's childish deceptive tactics. So I avoid it now.

I snapped a picture of the what the sky looked like here in the Syracuse area when the Weather Channel was trying make look rainy and dreary:

BTW, I need rain badly! I haven't had any rain in two weeks and before that I was in a severe drought. Leaves are turning yellow and dropping off many of my trees from the lack of rain this year. The local airport is 3 inches below average for the year, but I'm nearly 8 inches below average since I never had those 4 or 5 thunderstorms that dumped rain over the airport.

Thanks for listening to my rant! I'm done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 11:09 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
You bring up a very good point. Funny thing~a day or two ago TWC said it was supposed to be 68 for a high today. Now they changed it to 84. Quite a difference there which tells me they really don't know what they're talking about half the time.

I've posted this before, but something else that bothers me about TWC is the fact that they don't even get PAST weather correct. They can even show the high in my area one day and have something several degrees off on their OWN site the following day.

I pretty much limit that channel to Storm Stories, Full Force Nature, etc. I realize it's trivial, but it is kinda frustrating, isn't it?

Old 09-10-2009, 01:45 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,589,659 times
Interesting I think i'll keep a lookout for that and see how they do us.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:35 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,003 times
I don't use the Weather Channel very often. Just to check average temperatures in certain places to see if I could (or couldn't) live there. I use WeatherBug for daily weather, and my weather is quite accurate since they have a weather station right at the college.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:50 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,578 times
I do believe since the weather channel has been sold, it is less of a 'real weather' channel and more of a 'today show' theme. sigh, it used to be a great network.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:32 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
I don't watch the weather channel after that whole "cool summer" thing when half of the summer was actually above average. They barely acknowledged our 9 day heat wave. I've seen a forecasted average 85° degree day turn into a 95° with a 108° heat index in one hour.

The Weather Channel is a joke, I only watch the specials like "It could happen tomorrow", etc.

And to think I actually wanted to work there in the future .

Old 09-11-2009, 06:57 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
The Weather Channel is not the station to look to for local forecasts and conditions. We have the accuweather channel for that. WC does post forecasts and current conditions which are about as accurate as accuweather but you'll never get updates and in depth forecasts.
WC is good for major weather coverage anyplace else around the country( which they hype or cover till you're totally bored) or rehashes of storms from 5, 10 or 25 years ago. Which is puzzling, why would anybody even want to watch that?

Old 09-11-2009, 08:42 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
They do a good job on hurricanes,though.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:53 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
I no longer use the weather channel or weather dot com since they got bought out. Forecasts they gave were to far off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather