U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2009, 07:52 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,115,911 times

Advertisements

Christchurch experienced a "freakish" jump in temperature today as a norwester turned up the heat.

Temperatures jumped from 9degC to 21degC in just 20 minutes, said WeatherWatch.co.nz weather analyst Richard Green.

While it was relatively common for southerl ies to cut temperatures that much and that quickly, it was unusual to see it go the other way.

Dunedin Airport also had one of its hottest nights on record for September, as the temperature remained in the low 20s until 5am.

Eastern and central areas of the mainland could eye record highs for September as very warm air is being blown across the Tasman Sea, he said.

Both Queenstown and Christchurch reached 21degC at 10.30am.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 09:36 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,333,212 times
Pretty impressive. A classic chinook wind. What sort of highs are they expecting?

Incidentally, Melbourne was in the high 20's until 1am on Saturday and only dropped below 20C at about 5 or 6am. A couple of places out in eastern Coastal Victoria recorded overnight lows of 20-21C.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Pretty impressive. A classic chinook wind. What sort of highs are they expecting?

Incidentally, Melbourne was in the high 20's until 1am on Saturday and only dropped below 20C at about 5 or 6am. A couple of places out in eastern Coastal Victoria recorded overnight lows of 20-21C.
They're expected highs of around 24 around the Christchurch area but about 200kms south it hit 27C at 1pm, they're now expecting the possiblity of unoffical highs of reaching 30C.

Really is good to have this sort patch of good weather, today in Invercargill its over 20C, tomorrow its expected to dip back down to a daytime max of 12

Good to see Melbourne finally getting some good overnight temps.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
They're expected highs of around 24 around the Christchurch area but about 200kms south it hit 27C at 1pm, they're now expecting the possiblity of unoffical highs of reaching 30C.
It's awesome what a proper mountain range can do. Imagine if it wasnt there...I reckon the south Island would be much colder than it is now. I wish we had a 4000m tall range to the north and northwest....

Quote:
Really is good to have this sort patch of good weather, today in Invercargill its over 20C, tomorrow its expected to dip back down to a daytime max of 12

Good to see Melbourne finally getting some good overnight temps.
Just typical for us sub-arctic dwellers, almost all hot days here are followed by foul cold rainy and overcast weather. Here it was 30C on Saturday, stayed above 25C until early Sunday morning, and by the time I woke up at 9am or whenever, it was 15C with rain and full overcast

I hate cool changes so much. It's terrible when it occurs in summer....nothing worse than a cold grey mizzly day after a hot day and hot night.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
It's awesome what a proper mountain range can do. Imagine if it wasnt there...I reckon the south Island would be much colder than it is now. I wish we had a 4000m tall range to the north and northwest....

Just typical for us sub-arctic dwellers, almost all hot days here are followed by foul cold rainy and overcast weather. Here it was 30C on Saturday, stayed above 25C until early Sunday morning, and by the time I woke up at 9am or whenever, it was 15C with rain and full overcast

I hate cool changes so much. It's terrible when it occurs in summer....nothing worse than a cold grey mizzly day after a hot day and hot night.
Its great what a good mountain range can do, but then again it can have a downside,

Alexandra got to an offical high of 29C today, easily NZ's best climate, but yup I'm gana savour the rest of the heat now, now the forecast for the next few days is sh*t compared to what its been

Old 09-14-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Its great what a good mountain range can do, but then again it can have a downside,

Alexandra got to an offical high of 29C today, easily NZ's best climate, but yup I'm gana savour the rest of the heat now, now the forecast for the next few days is sh*t compared to what its been
Same deal in Melbourne. It's a typical summer pattern, one or two days of heat followed by a week of cold stratocrapulous drizzly rubbish. It is routine to have a 30-40C day followed by a week of 20C crap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather