U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 11:02 AM

2,618 posts, read 3,320,020 times

Advertisements

You can go here to see the old maps. I have this link of favorites, because it took some time for me to remember where they were at:

weather.com - Map Room - Satellite Map, Weather Map, Doppler Radar US Current Weather
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 05:20 PM

807 posts, read 2,350,549 times
I like The Weather Channel,but I use NOAA.gov for my online weather. I will say that my Dad loves weather.com

Old 10-07-2009, 07:09 AM

22,256 posts, read 20,077,327 times
Here's some suggestions. If they want to add some new topics of interest( but not hype them) they could do a daily segement on the sun. Just note whether or not there are significant sunspots or not and how that affects the earth. low sunpsot activity means cooler temperatures, more sunpsot activity or flare outbreaks mean higher temps and geomagnetic interference of satellite and radio signals. Just a minute or two a day. Then they could do a few minutes noting where earthquakes have occurred throughout the world, not just major ones causing disasters but also minor ones, especially ones in the USA that might have been felt. Check out daily earthquakes on the web and it gets interesting and you begin to see patterns. How about some shots and monitoring of major bird migration routes and track them? That could be done for a few minutes a day.
Harvest forecasts and results. There is so much more to reporting weather than just saying what is coming down where or how hard the wind is blowing. You have reporters chasing storms, they could be sent out covering more interesting meteoroligical events.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:34 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,980,082 times
Thank you for providing this survey link. I just took the survey. It was a bit long, but it was nice to voice my irritation about how far the Weather Channel has gone downhill over the past year or so. I specifically stated in the survey that they need to go back to their roots, or they can expect to see their ratings plummet.

Maybe we should all go down to Atlanta to riot in front of their studio!

Old 10-07-2009, 02:56 PM

8,516 posts, read 4,244,844 times
What's interesting is that just about everyone on this thread is fundamentally saying the same thing: get back to the basics of weather, and reduce/eliminate the glitz. If TWC actually did that, they might find increased ratings with their core viewers, instead of driving them away.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 723 times
I think Al and Stephanie are individually silly! I watch the weather channel to receive facts and graphs, charts, and analysis about the weather. They don't bring a thing to that....in fact they distract. The weather channel really does not have any substantial competition so why are they going to great extent to add to what they do well? Is the marketing department looking for reward?

If I am looking for silliness, there are lots of programs and people that deliver! I have watched the weather channel since it's inception for what it delivers. Al and stephany make me angry! James Hale

Old 10-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Status: "Let's end the left's War Against Reality" (set 28 days ago)

16,318 posts, read 13,110,446 times
I still watch the Weather Channel a bit. It’s just not as good as it used to be, though. After the big ‘shakeup’ a while back, my viewing time has gone down a lot. They canned some of my favorite personalities. They totally screwed the music (I used to just leave it on while I was doing other things for the cool music they sometimes played). They shuffled all of the people around (those who remain) so that there is no ‘personality’ at a given time of day. And now, they have this Al thing: nothing against him personally, but if I wanted to see network news and weather (I don’t), I would just watch it. I don’t like the little news blurbs they’ve thrown in either.

I’ve never really minded the storm stories specials and some of the others they used to show (I really liked the one about the lady in Antarctica who got cancer and was rescued, and one they just recently reaired about Donora ??? PA and the pollution inversion – interesting stuff).

I think the quality of their presentation has gone down as well. Even some of the folks I used to really like seem to have lost something. For instance, I like Heather Tesch, but she has become quite annoying the last little while for some reason. The only one I think still does a really good job most of the time is Kim Perez. But she’s hardly ever on. Bill Keneely is very good as well.

As a side note: the funniest moments I’ve ever seen on the Weather Channel is when Marshal Seese (retired a while back) said that there was golf-ball-sized-tennis-balls coming from a thunderstorm... and then he didn’t know how to cover himself. Or when Jennifer Lopez (I think it was her) was anchoring and had Mike Bettes drop the f-bomb by accident while out on assignment (with the camera on).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather