U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 06:36 PM

8,516 posts, read 4,242,751 times

Advertisements

I think the Weather Channel knows that they are in trouble with viewership and even the choice of weather.com as a source of weather info. Today I was watching TWC, and there was a link to take a survey to give your opinions about the Weather Channel, and weather.com as compared to other sources in the media.

It was a lengthy survey that took over 30 minutes. I really enjoyed giving them the bad news on how horrible they've become. (Simply having Al Roker doesn't make me want to watch.) I especially dumped on the never-ending-documentaries such as "It could happen tomorrow", "When weather changed history", and my favorite dumping ground, "Storm Stories, AKA Storm Bories" Once in a while these programs are Ok, but to keep repeating the same ones over and over again is too much, especially when there is severe weather in an area, and all they show is "Storm Stories/Bories", when there is actual storm story going on in real life.

In case you didn't see it, the weblink is: weather.com/myviews Give it a try and give NBC Universal YOUR opinion on what they've done to the Weather Channel.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 08:18 PM

3,435 posts, read 2,777,854 times
I have not checked out their survey yet.
But I have heard similiar stories from people I talk to.
I downgraded my cable channels to just about 22 channels.
The Weather Channel is Not one of them.
I haven`t actually seen the weather channel since Feb of 09.
It sounds lke I am not missing much.
Their web site is excellent however.
When I heard that Dave Schwartz left along with a few others that had been there for several years I was disappointed.
Yes they do cover too many stories and not enough Local weather. Local on the 8`s is not the same on all cable systems either.
I think it is up to each cable system as to how much time is given to any severe weather occurence.
Or If that is even available in some areas.
We have had this questioned several times here in Jackson, Tn.
The best that we get is a scroll at the bottom of our screen and an 15 second look every 10 minutes of the local radar. and it is uaually about 10 minutes old.
Basically I totally agree with you.
Maybe some other locations have better service than others.
That is why I go to the internet.
I have several weather blogs with several radar links.
I have one that is within seconds of actual time.
I even have it fixed for a real close up view of my area.
It is easy to adjust to any area coverage though.
Click on my Homepage link and you will see that link at the bottom of each updated blog.
Thanks for such a Great Thread.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:34 PM

11,340 posts, read 18,641,399 times
Cool, I'm gonna take the survey, I stopped watching the Weather Channel after that whole "cool summer" thing.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:51 PM

2,618 posts, read 3,317,490 times
I have a lot to complain about agreeing with post #1. I hate when they do the weekly update and blab so much on the precip. part they breeze through the temperature part and sometimes all together just skip it. The storm stories etc. in moderation are okay, but when something major is happening it's nice to see something on the weather channel. Hurricane season was a bust, so their ratings probably were too. I do however like the Why i like...(seasons). I like to see different people say why they like a certain season and show videos of places that are known for those seasons or what to do. The " I wake up with Al" commercials are soooo annoying. And now i realize that jazz was really the way to go for local on the 8's. I realize i missed it when i didn't have it. "Sometimes" they will play a good soft rock tune, but most of the ones i've heard are not popular or i liked to begin with.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:32 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,647,795 times
Thanks for the link.
I miss the good old days.
I wish they would put the **what if ect. ect. ect. type shows on another channel, or just not do them.
Annoys me I want to check the weather say before I go to bed and you can't.
Do not like the Al show either.
I just want the basics lol.

I do like the website and use it often.
http://www.weather.com/maps/maptype/..._animated.html

Old 09-28-2009, 05:48 PM

12,890 posts, read 12,866,625 times
I feel like they've been going downhill for quite some time and bringing Al on was the icing on the cake so to speak!

I've felt for a long time they don't give equal time to various areas, amazing that covering weather can be so slanted, Atlanta, the east coast, west coast, maybe Texas and forget the rest!

Old 09-29-2009, 09:32 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,527,785 times
They have to realize that Atlanta is not the center of the world.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:52 AM

22,225 posts, read 20,059,030 times
I took the survery, although it was excessively long. Bsically I said : MSNBC is poison for weather as well as news. Hyping the weather and over covering storms and severe weather gets boring and often comes across as unprofessional( reporters going Wow, look at the wind, look at the rain, this is incredible") Weather history is just that, history. Pople that get off on watching weather disasters from 40 years ago are weird. People that obsess over the weather are weird. Keep it clear, in depth when warranted and precise.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:43 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,599,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
They have to realize that Atlanta is not the center of the world.
oh my gosh, i know! it's so frustrating to watch, hoping to hear what the weather is like here or somewhere you are traveling, and all they talk about is Atlanta. You notice how often they show footage from there as well?

Old 10-01-2009, 07:10 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,838,056 times
The Weather Channel did to the "weather"......what MTV did for "music" and no different!
TWC was really at its peak, IMO.......way back in the late 80's and up until about the mid 1990's.
After that......they really sucked and still do.
Far too much "sideshow entertainment" that only distracts and gets in the way of WHAT the viewer WANTS MOST.....when they turn the channel to TWC!
Some of their storm story shows ARE great.....but shouldn't be aired NEARLY so often along with so many various others that the REAL purpose of the channel is effectively......drowned out.
Oh....and I REALLY wish they would bring back their maps that showed all the FRONTS, highs, lows, precip. AND the ISOBARS too!
Current to several days out....forecast maps like this.
Yeah....Isobars....those lines of equal pressure around the Highs and Lows that USED to be included on the weather maps.
They give a GREAT indication of the strength associated with a Low pressure (storm system) or how strong a High pressure area is......(and the gradiant between them)........ISOBARS......indicate windflow and likely, wind speed very well, when shown on a weather map.
They SHOULD draw them again, IMHO!
Just my 2 pennies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather