Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 03:09 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhitenorth View Post
Its not i never said so.... Its Southern Coastal Oregon gosh....
No it's not either... you can't compare Victoria, BC to say Brookings, OR ...

Old 09-23-2012, 03:36 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think I've made my thoughts perfectly clear about your claims of growing certain marginal plants in Victoria, BC. Victoria is not California... sorry to burst your bubble
Exactly.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Yes, in the sense of it being within the subtropical climate zone and having subtropical characteristics (under the Koeppen definition of the Cfa zone, not yours). Bermuda borders very closely on having a true tropical climate, just as Amherstburg borders very closely on having a true continental climate. I do not mean it in the sense that you and some others use, with "more subtropical" meaning warmer; of course Bermuda is warmer, but "more subtropical" in my mind is something closer to the middle of the zone temperature-wise, which would be 7.5C in the coldest month. Jackson, Mississippi with a January average of 7.6C is in the middle of the zone in most respects.

I think using "more subtropical" to mean "warmer", with borderline climates like Bermuda being passed off as prototypical, makes about as much sense as saying "more subarctic" to mean "colder", and passing off somewhere right on the tree line as prototypical of subarctic climate. That place is, of course, bordering on an arctic climate, and is not prototypical for subarctic climate, nor is it the "most subarctic" place you could find. "More subarctic" would entail getting closer to a climate like Fairbanks.

That was funny.
Don't be silly. Thats just stupid. Anywhere that has an average max of -2.9c is not subtropical. I don't give a crap what the statistics say.

You do not get an average max of -2.9c in florida or st barts do you? No.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Yes but I have actually seen a 5 foot Queen Palm along the water side with no winter protection.
Then again it doesn't really stay permanently below freezing in victoria for long. Its not the frost but the extremity of the frost.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:55 PM

647 posts, read 797,129 times
I think that Sochi, Russia has one of the most northern subtropical climates, I was surprised when I found that there is growing a lot of different types of palm trees, although the latitude of the city is pretty high. Palm trees in Sochi, Russia - DISCUSSING PALM TREES WORLDWIDE - PalmTalk

Old 09-23-2012, 06:13 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Don't be silly. Thats just stupid. Anywhere that has an average max of -2.9c is not subtropical. I don't give a crap what the statistics say.
The -2.9C is the daily mean, not the average maximum temperature. An average high of -2.9C is definitely cold enough to retain snow, so that would be silly, but that isn't what I'm talking about. Besides, it's borderline, so it won't fit all that well with either climate type. It's right on the border as far as climate classification goes, and as far as I recall it's right on the edge of the persistent snow line as measured by satellites, which is exactly where the Koeppen classification says it should be.

Quote:
You do not get an average max of -2.9c in florida or st barts do you? No.
What does Florida have to do with it? Half of Florida has a true tropical climate, for goodness sake. I present calm, rational explanation of climate classification and all you have to respond with are stereotypes and cliches. That's what I call being silly. The validity of the Koeppen definition (contained in the spoiler below) has been hashed and rehashed too many times already in this thread, so if you want to quarrel over that I refer you to previous posts made in this same thread which express everyone's feelings better than something I could type up this evening.

Spoiler
Any climate that has sufficient precipitation to avoid semi-arid status, hot summers (>22C), 4 or more months with a daily mean above 50F, and winters not cold enough to retain a snowpack, is subtropical, or more clinically a Cfa climate under the Koeppen system. There is variation in the snowpack isotherm, but -3C is the line that best fits the worldwide pattern, so that's what was chosen as the threshold.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:28 PM

129 posts, read 243,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
The -2.9C is the daily mean, not the average maximum temperature. An average high of -2.9C is definitely cold enough to retain snow, so that would be silly, but that isn't what I'm talking about. Besides, it's borderline, so it won't fit all that well with either climate type. It's right on the border as far as climate classification goes, and as far as I recall it's right on the edge of the persistent snow line as measured by satellites, which is exactly where the Koeppen classification says it should be.

What does Florida have to do with it? Half of Florida has a true tropical climate, for goodness sake. I present calm, rational explanation of climate classification and all you have to respond with are stereotypes and cliches. That's what I call being silly. The validity of the Koeppen definition (contained in the spoiler below) has been hashed and rehashed too many times already in this thread, so if you want to quarrel over that I refer you to previous posts made in this same thread which express everyone's feelings better than something I could type up this evening.

Spoiler
Any climate that has sufficient precipitation to avoid semi-arid status, hot summers (>22C), 4 or more months with a daily mean above 50F, and winters not cold enough to retain a snowpack, is subtropical, or more clinically a Cfa climate under the Koeppen system. There is variation in the snowpack isotherm, but -3C is the line that best fits the worldwide pattern, so that's what was chosen as the threshold.
You da man!

Old 09-23-2012, 10:34 PM

129 posts, read 243,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
No it's not either... you can't compare Victoria, BC to say Brookings, OR ...
In a way you can.... Victoria gets 10.3 nights a year and Brookings get 9.4. So if you were willing to plant different plants you could compare the two in that aspect.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:13 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
In a way you can.... Victoria gets 10.3 nights a year and Brookings get 9.4. So if you were willing to plant different plants you could compare the two in that aspect.
It's not about the amount of freezing nights or any one factor.. there are many different factors at play which makes growing certain types of plants like CIDPs or Queen Palms feasible in Brookings rather than in Victoria. I'm done arguing with you on this. This is my last post on this subject. End of discussion...

Old 09-24-2012, 01:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Please stay on topic. If your posts were deleted, do not continue posting the same thing. Personal attacks are not permitted on the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather