Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 09:52 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times

Advertisements

I'll just add that I vastly prefer Europe to anywhere else in the world.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:11 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
This site has a good format for explaining the various groupings. I can't fault the factors/characteristics comments, as they seem to be spot on.

http://www.eoearth.org/article/Moist...pe?topic=49664

Under this rationale, NYC is clearly a subtropical climate. At the same time, it is less able it to grow as wide a range of plants, as many of the warmer oceanic climates.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:47 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Of course the UK is part of Europe. You can see France from Kent and vice versa!

Photo was taken in France, those cliffs are England.
Ah but that's Kent. It's in the end of the British isles. It's even in the eastern hemisphere.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:20 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,027,668 times
We are quite close to France too, lots of ferries go to France from Portsmouth (as well as northern Spain & the Channel Islands)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
So you guys always forget about Malta. I guess it's too small of an island to be discriminated from the rest of the continent.
In Malta they speak Maltese, as well as English By the way Valletta is apparently the warmest city in Europe...

Old 11-07-2012, 06:35 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Nicosia is warmer than Valletta.

Nicosia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Valletta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-07-2012, 08:19 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
We in the British Isles refer to Europe as a completely separate place, possibly for obvious reasons.

People here have no desire to be 'European'. We feel more akin to Canada, Australia and New Zealand and we look towards the US as opposed to Europe as our closest ally. The BI are in Europe, obviously, like Greenland is in North America, but that holds no bearing to what we want or how we feel. Not one iota I'm afraid.

Not sure what this has to do with the weather though!
My comment was actually meant to be postive toward Europe:

Sometimes (not always of course), the most profound lens that a place can viewed through is one from outsiders. My take in western Europe in the several trips over the years –there doesn’t seem to be a huge difference between the UK, France, Italy (northern), Ireland, Lux, Switzerland, Germany…etc in the social makeup/culture: When I say similar culture - I mean in social sense: Most western Europeans (not all of course) tend to be cosmopolitan, social, a bit liberal, and often have a sense of history.

Here in the states (just for example) we are much more fractured in terms of culture;

The cultural characteristics above found in much of western Europe tend to be bi-coastal here in the states – meaning they are generally found in the big cities on the West Coast (San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle…etc …and in the big cities on the East Coast (Boston, NYC, Baltimore, Washington, DC, Atlanta, Miami…etc). However, parts of the vast interior, the deserts, deep in the subtropical bayous, the remote northern areas…etc tend to have a larger percentage of folks who are far from cosmopolitan, social, or liberal.

Perhaps ( and who really knows?) because much of western Europe shares similar temperate climates (there are no sharply arid areas, no hot subtropical climates…etc) much of the social fabric in the region as a whole mixes well - and people have a similar perspective (in the larger sense) across the whole of western Europe. That’s definitely not the case here in the states; the farmer in Arizona or Colorado struggles for survival in an severely arid climate - while the farmer in Mississippi or Ohio worries annually about flooding….they fear cold/snow and frost bite in Minneapolis, Buffalo, or Boston - while they fear tropical cyclones, heat indexes, and snake bites in Galveston, New Orleans, or Orlando,,,etc. A farmer of 10,000 acres standing in the 100 F sun in a cloudless sky in hot and arid southern Texas often seems to share little culturally or climatically with the urban commuter standing in the rail station of a 58 F cool cloudy day in oceanic Seattle or Portland .

I guess my point is that from an American perspective – western Europe seems far more cohesive (in a good way) than here in the states in terms of culture and climate. We are much more a fractured land in terms of culture, climate, and perspective it seems.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:22 AM

152 posts, read 226,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I guess my point is that from an American perspective – western Europe seems far more cohesive (in a good way) than here in the states in terms of culture and climate. We are much more a fractured land in terms of culture, climate, and perspective it seems.
What counts as western Europe in this?

Old 11-07-2012, 08:39 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
When I say similar culture - I mean in social sense: Most western Europeans (not all of course) tend to be cosmopolitan, social, a bit liberal, and often have a sense of history.
That is how I would describe every western European country. In many ways, we are actually rather similar to other western European nations - our cities look similar, we have similar public transport (underground, trams), a similar disdain of cars, liberal views on most things, similar drinking habits, similar healthcare systems, large social net, you name it.

But we don't affiliate ourselves with continental Europe. This itself has no bearing on our culture or where we are located, but it does have a bearing on who we are closest to politically, and that isn't Europe IMO. I love Europe though, and I enjoy going there.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:23 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darth serious View Post
What counts as western Europe in this?
France west.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:41 AM

152 posts, read 226,773 times
The thing I noticed that's very different in the USA is that the political left is thought of as liberal and the right as authoritarian. That's a very weird way of thinking, kinda paradoxical. The right, after all, promotes a small state that doesn't take much money from the citizens and doesn't take away the citizens' freedoms - how the hell is that not liberal?

Here the political right is usually thought of as liberal and progressive and has more support of young people. It seems it's the other way around in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather