Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 08:21 PM

637 posts, read 1,026,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Although I didn't get that far east when I was in Europe - that I could agree with: There IS a differecne in the culture of eastern Europe and western Europe...and that is not suprising since there is a difference in climate between Western Europe (Temperate or Temperate oceanic) to eastern Europe (Severe Continental).

However, to be fair, the difference between winter temps between London (40 F) and Warsaw (29 F) is a bit closer... than the difference between winter temps in Raleigh, NC ( 41 F) and Chicago (24 F).
Also maybe not realy good comparisons as latitude difference between London and Warsaw is only 1 degree,
however, Chicago is about 42 degrees north and Raleigh, NC is about 36 degrees north, 6 degrees difference.

An example of 6 degrees latitude difference in europe would be like Frankfurt, Germany (50* N) and
Nice, France (44* N), big difference in temps, similar to difference between Chicago and Raleigh,NC.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:45 PM

12 posts, read 26,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I get what you're saying...but I don't think I'd go as far as saying that "Seattle is relatively sunny"...at least to Americans - lol.
It's not very cloudy though.... Almost all cities on the East Coast get more rain than Seattle.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:25 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckForLife View Post
It's not very cloudy though.... Almost all cities on the East Coast get more rain than Seattle.

That is true…most cities on the East Coast (and several other parts of the USA) get more rain than Seattle. Also Seattle has sunny summers (June - Aug).

But of course in terms of cloudy/gloomy weather, that only tells half the story;

Seattle IS quite cloudy much of the year compared to everywhere else in the USA except the Great Lakes. The number of rain days (in which little rain might fall)...is spread out over a looong time of year. This is especially true in the fall/winter/early spring season (Oct – April). During the months of Dec, Jan, Feb, and March – Seattle and much of the PNW is VERY overcast compared to much of the USA (even more than the Great Lakes – a well known gloomy winter area). Here is a map of December sun hrs…you can see from the NYC area southward the East Coast averages more than 140 hrs of sunshine…while the PNW averages less than 80 hrs (and much of western Washington less than 60 hrs! – or almost 1/3 of what the East Coast averages):

Here is Feb:

What's the worst part (and might lead to the concept of the PNW of being thought of as so cloudy/gloomy all the time), is that the time of summer sun is fleeting. The overcast skies of fall start early and last late compared to many areas of the USA:

Here is October, the PNW is already leading the USA in the least amount of sun hrs:

So while Seattle (as well as much of the PNW) recives less rainfall than many areas (and has sunny summers)...the sunnyness of summer is fleeting, and those inches of rain are spread out over a large number of rain days,

Old 11-07-2012, 10:52 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,748 times
Seattle Summers are one of the best in the US. It's comfortably warm and Sunny most days, and much drier than anywhere on the east coast. I don't care about if its sunny or cloudy in winter, it's not like they have cold winters anyway. It looks like a very comfortable place to live!
I've never been though so please correct me if I'm wrong!

Old 11-07-2012, 11:45 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Depends how you define far Eastern Europe. The difference between London and Warsaw (eastern Central Europe) in winter temps is similar to the one between Raleigh, NC and Chicago.

Most Americans wouldn't consider that much of a diff really. More appropriate would be say, Raleigh, NC and Minneapolis. The diff in avg Jan temp between London and Warsaw is around 14.4F. The diff between Raleigh and Minneapolis in Jan is 24.8F. The average January temp diff between Minneapolis and Miami is 52.9F. What two cities in Europe have a difference of 53F between their January mean temps?

Old 11-08-2012, 12:39 AM

914 posts, read 2,103,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Most Americans wouldn't consider that much of a diff really. More appropriate would be say, Raleigh, NC and Minneapolis. The diff in avg Jan temp between London and Warsaw is around 14.4F. The diff between Raleigh and Minneapolis in Jan is 24.8F. The average January temp diff between Minneapolis and Miami is 52.9F. What two cities in Europe have a difference of 53F between their January mean temps?

Almería , Spain and Kiruna, Sweden. If most Americans don't consider the difference in winter temps between Raleigh and Chicago to be significant, then there must be some kind of obvious, popularly-perceived similarity between the two climates. Are you saying that they should both be subtropical? Raleigh is clearly subtropical, and if Chicago isn't that much of a difference, would it be subtropical as well?

Last edited by Kaul; 11-08-2012 at 12:49 AM..

Old 11-08-2012, 12:47 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Almería , Spain and Kiruna, Sweden

Tell me, what is the temp diff between Almeria and Kiruna?

Old 11-08-2012, 12:49 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Haha you tell them! they need to learn that America is not above everyone.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:58 AM

914 posts, read 2,103,198 times
Minneapolis mean Jan. temp is 15.5 For Miami, it's 67.5. The difference is 52
Almeria's mean temp is 54.6. For Kiruna, it's 2.3. The difference is 52.3

Old 11-08-2012, 01:02 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
And I assume the distance is less too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather