Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 12:04 AM

7,646 posts, read 18,046,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Not surprised...
When I was in South Florida (it was always in winter) my reaction to their A/C was always between these choices: "...it feels okay...", "...makes me a little grumpy..." and "...hard to function after 5 min..." I almost-always felt better outside than inside with A/C, even after 30 minutes under bright, midday sunshine. My condition makes anything under 75 F "less-than-perfect", while most Floridians seem to think A/C allowing their indoor temps to stay consistantly lower than 72 F is the best thing since "sliced-bread."

I think the warmth of sunshine is underrated.
Just the other day I was basking in direct sunshine at 2 pm, with a temp of 59 F, wearing only a bathing suit and sunglasses.
Thanks to the winds being less than 10 mph, I actually felt warmer out in the sun than if I were indoors at 72 F similarly-dressed. ()
Yeah..although I certainly enjoyed the A/C, sometimes it was just overkill. For example, I'd take a late-night walk before retiring to bed. It'd be about 80-85 with a dewpoint in the upper 70's and dark, so while not especially uncomfortable when outside, the A/C felt very good inside. But then I'd go to bed, wake up, and be chilled, I mean really chilled, with my feet freezing. Perhaps a system that automatically rachets down the A/C (say to 75-80) when you're sleeping would be smart, just as shutting off your water heater at night or HVAC that lowers heat at night would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 08:35 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,439,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
Lots of people who come up to New York/New Jersey area says it's frigid cold when it's 60s and 70s during day. WTF.. do you guys know what cold is?! Anything below 70° seems "cold" for Floridians.
Having been born in Pennsylvania I understand where you are coming from. However, after living in Florida for years, I too get cold at about 60 degrees....your body changes in it's reaction to heat/cold depending on where and how long you've lived there.

When I returned home for my mom's funeral, in November...I never removed my winter coat...even to sleep, I was that cold. That said I'd still prefer the cold to stifling heat/humidity.

Those dang Floridians complain about the heat and the cold...LOL..

Old 10-10-2009, 10:07 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,875,005 times
I don't own a coat or gloves.
I consider it COLD...if I have to wear a sweater over my regular clothes.

I remember the frost on my windshield last winter. I stood there for a period of time trying to figure out what to do. I used my ATM card to scrape off the intrusive chill thing on my windshield. I have no idea how people make it through snow and stuff. I just wouldn't/ couldn't get out to work in those conditions.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:53 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,437,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post

I remember the frost on my windshield last winter. I stood there for a period of time trying to figure out what to do. I used my ATM card to scrape off the intrusive chill thing on my windshield. I have no idea how people make it through snow and stuff. I just wouldn't/ couldn't get out to work in those conditions.
If you could scrape off the frost with an ATM card, there probably wasn't much there, sorry to say. You probably need something like this, with a brush on one side for snow and a sharp scrapper for ice at the other end. I went to school for 4 years in upstate NY - tools like this become quite handy up there

Old 10-10-2009, 11:12 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,699,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post

Start the car and turn the cabin heat "on" (slide the dial to "max" heat )
Once your car is at least 70-something F inside, there shouldn't be any frost on it.
If you just scrape it and don't let your car warm up, it will slowly frost over again.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:36 PM

Um, you will be waiting for 15 min or more for it to get to 70F inside. Unless you have remote ignition, that's a lot of time to wait if you are going to work.
Another thing you could do, if it isn't too cold, you can spray windshield fluid - it will act like anti-freeze.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Um, you will be waiting for 15 min or more for it to get to 70F inside. Unless you have remote ignition, that's a lot of time to wait if you are going to work.

Another thing you could do, if it isn't too cold, you can spray windshield fluid - it will act like anti-freeze.
You can be sitting in the car, foot on the throttle if need be, making it do a "fast idle"... say 1500-2500 rpm?
That would warm the car up at least twice as fast.

Yes, don't even bother with "washerfluid" if it's 25 F or colder;
it will "separate" and you windshield willlook even worse than before.

Seriously though,
it's silly to assume that 15 extra minutes is a "long time" to need to get ready for work;
if the weather's *CRAP*, you should EXPECT to need an extra 20 minutes or so.

*I usually warm my car AND scrape/shovel at the same time; usually goes pretty quick that way.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:02 AM

15,317 posts, read 17,146,581 times
Yeah on frosty mornings I make sure I heat my car up at least ten minutes before I leave. It can be a real pain trying scrape all the snow and ice off. I usually dump hot water so that ice will melt faster. Or I use hot water when an ice storm completely covers my car, to the point where its difficult to open the door. Those are always fun mornings .

Old 10-11-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Yeah on frosty mornings I make sure I heat my car up at least ten minutes before I leave. It can be a real pain trying scrape all the snow and ice off. I usually dump hot water so that ice will melt faster. Or I use hot water when an ice storm completely covers my car, to the point where its difficult to open the door. Those are always fun mornings .
Nice idea about using hot-water to de-ice your car.

We don't usually get ice-storms in Toronto; maybe once per year and it's never over 1/4" thick, so typically it's not "damaging."

Old 10-11-2009, 01:01 PM

I usually hate to wait. As long as I can see what's ahead of me, I will drive. When I was in college, I had a 15 min drive to class and I remember the air coming out of the vents would just begin to feel warm about half way there and it would start to get warm in the cabin when I was already looking for parking. On days with snow, of course it would take some time to brush the snow off and scrape the windshield but still much less than 15 min. 5 maybe. You don't need to be perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather