Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 07:12 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,477 times

Advertisements

Wellington is evil. I'd actually prefer to live in Chicago, Toronto, Detroit etc as they get much warmer summers and are probably sunnier aswell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 09:06 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Wellington is evil. I'd actually prefer to live in Chicago, Toronto, Detroit etc as they get much warmer summers and are probably sunnier aswell.
I agree. I guess a lot of this comes down to personal preference, but I would rather have warm to hot summers and freezing winters than cool summers and milder winters.

Wellington's wind can drive you insane as well. The Wahini ship wreck in 1968 was the result of 200kph winds.

When we lived there, a house at the end of our street had its roof clean blown off during the night. Don't bother with an umbrella as it'll get turned inside out (use leggings and long jackets).

Wellington's sunshine is around 2,000 hours/year - similar to Toronto, but less than Chicago (and I suspect) Detroit.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:01 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,477 times
and with wind comes windchill, which would make Wellington's year round winter even worse.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:26 AM

14 posts, read 54,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
I would rather have warm to hot summers and freezing winters than cool summers and milder winters.
I on the other hand would prefer cooler summers (not chilly, but 70's, maybe hitting 80 to 85 as a 'heat wave') and milder winters (less snow and a shorter time below freezing)! Chicago and Detroit are even colder and snowier than where I live (just outside of Cincinnati). I want to head in the other direction--south--to find milder winters. Unfortunately, in most of the US, if you want mild winters you have to take hot muggy summers. It's hard to find a perfect match. From your descriptions of your climates, though, I guess I should be grateful for what I've got. It could sure be a lot worse. Wow!

I just looked up a little info about Wellington's weather...I can't imagine living someplace that chilly, rainy and windy year-round! It sounds somewhat like parts of Oregon's coast, where it's never really warm.

Last edited by NoRoots; 03-02-2010 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: did a little research

Old 03-02-2010, 10:37 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,421,810 times
Yes, and on two occasions:

1. Grew up in Florida for the first 18 years of my life...didn't mind the weather until 2004 when Hurricane Ivan nearly destroyed my hometown. Left Florida to go to college in Pennsylvania at PSU in Fall 2005. Turned out to be the right decision, as a little over a month before I left for PSU, Hurricane Dennis struck my hometown again, with the eyewall passing over my house and destroying my neighbor's house. It's safe to say that I do not EVER want to deal with Florida and Hurricane Homeowner's Insurance again.

2. After PSU, I went to graduate school in Arizona for 10 months. I had realized I fell in love with four seasons in PA... love snow, fall leaves, the return of spring, and summer storms. In Arizona, I was baking in an oven for 9 months of the year. No. Thanks. Got out of there and now I live in Nebraska which has AWESOME! weather. Experienced -23 for the first time twice in January, had some awesome snow and blizzards, and now getting ready for severe weather season!!!

Old 03-02-2010, 02:32 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRoots View Post
I on the other hand would prefer cooler summers (not chilly, but 70's, maybe hitting 80 to 85 as a 'heat wave') and milder winters (less snow and a shorter time below freezing)! Chicago and Detroit are even colder and snowier than where I live (just outside of Cincinnati). I want to head in the other direction--south--to find milder winters. Unfortunately, in most of the US, if you want mild winters you have to take hot muggy summers. It's hard to find a perfect match. From your descriptions of your climates, though, I guess I should be grateful for what I've got. It could sure be a lot worse. Wow!

I just looked up a little info about Wellington's weather...I can't imagine living someplace that chilly, rainy and windy year-round! It sounds somewhat like parts of Oregon's coast, where it's never really warm.
Wellington has one of the worst climates in NZ which is a shame as it offers great outdoor pursuits with its terrain (mountain biking, off country road running, kayaking....). Also as a capital city, climatically it would be like choosing somewhere in SW Tasmania to represent your country (or Oregon or Washington for the US).

There are large parts of the top part of NZ or SE Australia that could meet your climatic requirements. Very mild winters and non roasting summers. A couple of examples are Wollongong (south of Sydney) or southern NSW (e.g. Jervis Bay, although probably not an option for work).

Perhaps others can ship in here?

Old 03-02-2010, 02:58 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
From Alaska, headed to Florida in July. Can you blame me for hating me weather? Didn't think so.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
Wellington has one of the worst climates in NZ which is a shame as it offers great outdoor pursuits with its terrain (mountain biking, off country road running, kayaking....). Also as a capital city, climatically it would be like choosing somewhere in SW Tasmania to represent your country (or Oregon or Washington for the US).

There are large parts of the top part of NZ or SE Australia that could meet your climatic requirements. Very mild winters and non roasting summers. A couple of examples are Wollongong (south of Sydney) or southern NSW (e.g. Jervis Bay, although probably not an option for work).

Perhaps others can ship in here?

It could be worse...the capital of NZ could be Christchurch...

Old 03-02-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
From Alaska, headed to Florida in July. Can you blame me for hating me weather? Didn't think so.
Good luck with the humidity + heat.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:23 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
It could be worse...the capital of NZ could be Christchurch...
Or even worse.. Invercargill.. definitely colder than Wellington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather