Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 06:06 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times

Advertisements

I left MN because of the weather. Just got sick and tired of Winters that last half the year and Summers(so called) that were 60 degrees and cloudy. Yuck! And whenever there was no snow, the bugs were fierce. Yes, I got tired of the shoveling, raking, and mowing too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 06:18 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Weather is the reason we're in Central Florida. When the right job opportunity came, we moved. DH says the first time it snows in Tampa, we're moving further south. I don't think I could take any more heat though. We're having near record breaking highs this week.
I hear you re: that record heat. My West Palm radio station's forecast is for ANOTHER HOT DAY with the high @ 92 °, AGAIN. Sigh...... Believe it or not, it wasn't always this hot. Summers are still the same, but it would of cooled off, at least a little, by now. The Winters, although nothing compared to the North, used to actually be chilly and it was pretty consistent Dec. thru March. My family moved down here in the '70s and they were very suprised to find that they needed to put the heat on in the house. They had had the gas taken out figuring they wouldn't need it, and ended up having to put in central heat as well as central air conditioning. I always mention this, but it actually snowed on my birth day(1st or 2nd) in '76 or '77. Of course, I don't remember it but it did happen. I don't want to get into a big debate but it definetly is different now. Any long-time Floridians here remember?

Old 10-08-2009, 07:01 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,362,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I hear you re: that record heat. My West Palm radio station's forecast is for ANOTHER HOT DAY with the high @ 92 °, AGAIN. Sigh...... Believe it or not, it wasn't always this hot. Summers are still the same, but it would of cooled off, at least a little, by now. The Winters, although nothing compared to the North, used to actually be chilly and it was pretty consistent Dec. thru March. My family moved down here in the '70s and they were very suprised to find that they needed to put the heat on in the house. They had had the gas taken out figuring they wouldn't need it, and ended up having to put in central heat as well as central air conditioning. I always mention this, but it actually snowed on my birth day(1st or 2nd) in '76 or '77. Of course, I don't remember it but it did happen. I don't want to get into a big debate but it definetly is different now. Any long-time Floridians here remember?
I can feel the pain that you must have to go through if you dislike hot sultry weather. Since I’m in Florida often let me just weigh in on this. I personally love south Florida…it’s unique in the United States: A tropical climate in a country that is mostly in the middle latitudes. South Florida has the warmest winter weather in the USA…even Arizona and California seemed way too cold to me in winter once I lived in south Florida.

However, when it comes to the climate of Florida, especially south Florida…one must realize that a place like Miami, Naples, the Palm Beaches, Ft. Myers, Stuart,…etc, is not just Chicago or Boston without winter…it’s a tropical humid climate. Seasonal change is at a minimum. Expecting or waiting for a “cool down” in most of central/southern Florida can be disappointing often. The only change in winter is it becomes drier with less humidity. If you lived in Hong Kong, Hanoi, Vietnam, or Honolulu, Hawaii (all near the same latitude as south Florida) you wouldn’t expect a cool down in winter either. It the tropics - it’s hot and humid…your not in San Francisco or Washington DC (lol).

I guess my point is part of loving south Florida…is knowing that there are 14-foot alligators and 100-foot coconut palms for a reason: You’re in the tropics…there is little seasonal change. Winter in the north is just “one” of the 4 seasons. Hot, sultry weather is not a “season” in most of central/south Florida…it is the “climate” of Florida. Moving from the far north to most of Florida …your trading a “season” of weather for totally different “climate”.

By the way, that trace (0.1) of snow in the early morning hours of January 1977 in parts of south Florida… was the first and only time a trace of snow was ever reported in places like Palm Beach or Miami in 300 + years.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:29 AM

557 posts, read 1,675,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
By the way, that trace (0.1) of snow in the early morning hours of January 1977 in parts of south Florida… was the first and only time a trace of snow was ever reported in places like Palm Beach or Miami in 300 + years.
I was there. Was going through a water survival school at Homestead AFB. It was so cold that they cancelled a day of the class. I remember seeing the pictures in the news of people making snowballs on the hoods of their cars. Everyone was so astonished.

I now live in Mississippi and will eventually be moving, in large part due to the unbearable humidity. We want to move somewhere out West. Can take heat and cold just fine, just not the soupy air.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:03 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,003,579 times
I have moved many times, but never because of weather. I have lived in places where the temp can hit 120. I have lived in places where the temp can hit minus 70. One of my favorite places I lived had rain 300 days out of the year. I just take the weather for whatever it is and do not let it get me down.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:56 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Not yet. Still living in the same area I've always lived in. BUT with any luck, we'll eventually be living in a warmer area. The area does get a touch of winter, but absolutely nothing like we have here.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:13 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Not yet. Still living in the same area I've always lived in. BUT with any luck, we'll eventually be living in a warmer area. The area does get a touch of winter, but absolutely nothing like we have here.
That's kind of what I want. I'd like a warm climate but not so warm that it's always the same season, 365 days a year, like in South Florida.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:44 AM

1,355 posts, read 4,185,884 times
The weather would ultimately be the top reason for me leaving Oklahoma. I'm fine with everything about this state, love the people, have all my friends here. The weather and lack of family (outside parents) are the main things I don't like. The scenery isn't the greatest but I'd rather live on flat red dirt with friends than by myself in mountains.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:59 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
That's kind of what I want. I'd like a warm climate but not so warm that it's always the same season, 365 days a year, like in South Florida.
South Florida does get some variety;

I've been there when it's been 66 F for a high, maybe mid-high 40's F for a low; felt quite spring-like...
But that still wasn't cold enough to hear anyone talk about it.

There's also been spells where it's barely into the low-70's F and quite breezy for several days...
which to me is also spring-like, or at least "not-summer-like."

*Of all the winter days I've been in South Florida, nearly-half of them were "not-warm", but still "pleasantly-cool."

Old 10-08-2009, 07:19 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,921 times
South Florida winters are still within the range of some of the northern places call "summer", for example PNW or my hometown of Riga. I suppose there is some difference between summer and winter but mainly because summers are so hot, not because winters are at all cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather