Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 03:10 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times

Advertisements

Im back from my little weekend trip to visit relatives in South Carolina!

Brrrr! Looks like most of the southeast is in a frost/freeze advisory tonight. We have not even had our first frost here yet in NE TN and we have went straight to a freeze warning! I just got back from visiting relatives in South Carolina and they are in a frost advisory... all of the leaves are still green down there.

It was COLD there this morning... only 40° at 7am, but it was 50° by 11am... when we got home here to NE Tennessee, it was back down to a coooooold 48° at 1:30!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 06:10 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Welcome to the club.
I received frost about a month ago.
Picked up some wet snow and rain today with afternoon temps in the mid 30s in central NH.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:27 PM

Wow... thats too early for my tastes! LOL

lol. I know. Our forecast is 30° and we have not been anywhere close to that yet... last night ( I wasnt here ) low was 39°, which was our first low in the 30s of the season.

I was visiting relatives in Anderson South Carolina over the weekend (they live about 10 minutes from the Georgia-South Carolina state line and almost all of their trees are still all green. Only the earliest maples have started to change, but the are forecasted to be 34° tonight and they have not even been in the 30s yet. I am sure after this, alot of trees in the southeast that have not started changing colors, will now rapidly change. It was only in the 50s at my relatives in South Carolina on Saturday with rain.... it was 40° there at 7am when we got up, but 50° by 11am with sun, but 3 hours later when we got home here in northeast Tennessee, it was only partly sunny and in the upper 40s! Then clouds rolled back in. Its cloudy now and holding at 42°... if the clouds hang here, WE may not see a frost tonight.... which would be odd for us to not have one, but places well to our south to have one with the clear skies.

I noticed that most of NE GA has a point forecast in the upper 20s and Newnan GA forecasted 30°! BRRRR! From summer to winter! lol.

If we get a frost, it will be our first. Almost the entire state of TN is in a freeze warning, the rest is in a frost adv. Only extreme SW Tennessee is excluded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Welcome to the club.
I received frost about a month ago.
Picked up some wet snow and rain today with afternoon temps in the mid 30s in central NH.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:52 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Wow... thats too early for my tastes! LOL

lol. I know. Our forecast is 30° and we have not been anywhere close to that yet... last night ( I wasnt here ) low was 39°, which was our first low in the 30s of the season.

I was visiting relatives in Anderson South Carolina over the weekend (they live about 10 minutes from the Georgia-South Carolina state line and almost all of their trees are still all green. Only the earliest maples have started to change, but the are forecasted to be 34° tonight and they have not even been in the 30s yet. I am sure after this, alot of trees in the southeast that have not started changing colors, will now rapidly change. It was only in the 50s at my relatives in South Carolina on Saturday with rain.... it was 40° there at 7am when we got up, but 50° by 11am with sun, but 3 hours later when we got home here in northeast Tennessee, it was only partly sunny and in the upper 40s! Then clouds rolled back in. Its cloudy now and holding at 42°... if the clouds hang here, WE may not see a frost tonight.... which would be odd for us to not have one, but places well to our south to have one with the clear skies.

I noticed that most of NE GA has a point forecast in the upper 20s and Newnan GA forecasted 30°! BRRRR! From summer to winter! lol.

If we get a frost, it will be our first. Almost the entire state of TN is in a freeze warning, the rest is in a frost adv. Only extreme SW Tennessee is excluded.
Here, some trees have completely lost all leaves, while others still have many leaves. Some leaves are freeze dried to the trees after several mornings with lows in the 20s. It will be interesting to see how quickly or slowly the leaves come off over the coming weeks.
I just checked the obs and it looks like much of east TN is clearing out. Crossville is already down in the mid 30s. It looks like a freeze for your area by tommorrow morning (especially at the Tri-Cities airport)

Old 10-18-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Here, some trees have completely lost all leaves, while others still have many leaves. Some leaves are freeze dried to the trees after several mornings with lows in the 20s. It will be interesting to see how quickly or slowly the leaves come off over the coming weeks.
I just checked the obs and it looks like much of east TN is clearing out. Crossville is already down in the mid 30s. It looks like a freeze for your area by tommorrow morning (especially at the Tri-Cities airport)
lol.. oh yes! Its cleared out and temps have fallen big time! Its down to 30° at the airport and 33° at my house! Already a frost on the car... our first frost. BRR!

Yeah, still alot of green leaves down here, but nothing like it was in South Carolina (see pics below). They will change soon now everywhere.

Its already down to 37° in Crestview Florida! Frost advisories extended down to northern Florida panhandle!

These were taken on Friday afternoon... this is just as we crossed out of North Carolina into South Carolina on highway 25 near Flat Rock... this is about 1900 ft. In NC, about a mile before this, there was some patchy fall color, but after we crossed the state line, it was like you had flipped a switch... ALL green! Only some of the early maples have started to change, but after tonight, I am sure that will change!

South Carolina mountains on 10-17-09

I will post some from Tennessee tomorrow.

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 10-18-2009 at 11:52 PM..

Old 10-19-2009, 04:30 AM

29,890 posts, read 9,959,271 times
I used to live about 30 miles south of Atlanta and I check the weather there regularly...and right now at 6:28 AM it's a frosty 29.4F under clear skies with still about an hour left of cooling off , here in south Florida it's 52.8F which is the best we'll get here in mid-October.

And I must add that it's 24F in Blairsville, GA right now.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:27 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
33 here in Matthews, NC near Charlotte. It hit around 20 last night. A chilly start...

Old 10-19-2009, 10:24 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
That frost/freeze warning did reach WAY down there and such a huge area. Kind of strange for Oct. This morning TWC said that Atlanta was one degree warmer then their record low. I don't think they like the cool weather there.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:57 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Up here in the GTA (5 miles from Lake Ontario)
we've just started getting light frost overnight a few days ago.

It might not have even hit 30 F yet in my neighbourhood.
We still have no more than 50% colour change, and less than 10% leaf fall.

I'm actually a little disappointed that the trees aren't defoliating faster,
because it casts a lot of afternoon shade, making more "cool spots" for the rare occaisions we get bright sun.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:43 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
We have had cooler weather here in Texas earlier too. Of course, no freezes or frost yet. Just cooler. The leaves are just beginning to change colors here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather