Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 10:09 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,960,276 times

Advertisements

Best: Minneapolis, Duluth, Rhinelander, WI

Worst: San Diego (weather would bore me to death), Phoenix or Yuma, AZ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 11:32 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Davenport, that is funny! I consider Davenport pretty tame compared to Upper Michigan, Minnesota, Upper Wisconsin in the winter!

I'll have to remember to check Davenport every day when I check temps in the midwest!
On looking at the stats Davenport doesn't look too bad: I was thinking more the combo of cold winter/hot summer. Upper Michigan has icy winters but pleasant summers, while a place like Liberal, Kansas (with July highs hotter than most Southern cities!) probably has that combination of still uncomfortably cold winters and properly hot summers. St. Louis would probably be bad in terms of heat and cold.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:54 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,997 times
best: Phoenix - hot, lots of storms but still hot, nice mild crisp winters

worst: Duluth - summers are more like a lukewarm autumn, no need to mention winter....

Old 10-31-2009, 06:46 AM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
I'd switch yours, too, SAB! I have friends in AZ and I politely try to avoid visiting!

I had to go for a wedding a few years back in May, it was too hot. I was so glad to get back to the midwest and my green scenery. As much as I love rocks, I would never live somewhere where I have to rake dirt!

Old 10-31-2009, 07:40 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
I think to experience the greatest weather would require living in 4 dofferent areas for only 3 months at a time.

Living anywhere year around results in trade offs ( exception being parts of California )

Old 10-31-2009, 10:03 AM

1,355 posts, read 4,185,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
On looking at the stats Davenport doesn't look too bad: I was thinking more the combo of cold winter/hot summer. Upper Michigan has icy winters but pleasant summers, while a place like Liberal, Kansas (with July highs hotter than most Southern cities!) probably has that combination of still uncomfortably cold winters and properly hot summers. St. Louis would probably be bad in terms of heat and cold.
Liberal, cold? Complete with their 80 degree day on February 6th this year? Yes I'm nitpicking but between their cold weather they have plenty of mild weather (50's, 60's even 70's). Besides in the summer humidity is pretty much a foreign concept out there.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:21 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Eastern Kansas seems to have humidity, but does western Ks. get humid and muggy? And yea, Ks. is quite Conservative. There are a few small pockets that are Liberal, but not many. Oh, and I'm off topic now.

This is funny like a lot of our weather threads are. I could take a few cities listed as the worst and use them for my best. Funny how we can prefer such opposite weather.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:39 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,185,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Eastern Kansas seems to have humidity, but does western Ks. get humid and muggy? And yea, Ks. is quite Conservative. There are a few small pockets that are Liberal, but not many. Oh, and I'm off topic now.

This is funny like a lot of our weather threads are. I could take a few cities listed as the worst and use them for my best. Funny how we can prefer such opposite weather.
Kansas has the same affect with humidity as all plains states. Gradually decreases from east to west. They say the 100th meridian divides the "dry" and humid" weather. Which means basically the first 100 miles in western Kansas from Colorado. Not to say it's never a bit muggy, but it's never tropical for sure.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:29 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Kansas has the same affect with humidity as all plains states. Gradually decreases from east to west. They say the 100th meridian divides the "dry" and humid" weather. Which means basically the first 100 miles in western Kansas from Colorado. Not to say it's never a bit muggy, but it's never tropical for sure.
OK, that makes sense. It's the same for my state and for Neb. so I figured western Ks. would be quite similar.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:33 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,960,276 times
I could never picture myself living in San Diego....60's/70's and sunny isn't my kind of thing ...well maybe for a week in September but I like change , I wouldn't want the same weather in and out for 330 days a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather