Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 04:33 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times

Advertisements

I agree with this, although I haven't moved yet I still feel this within my current climate. I remember one Summer we had a cold, damp, cloudy day our high only made it up to 68F which was about 20F below average. I wasn't prepared to deal with 68F (which was lower than our average low) I was so cold I was under the covers most of the day. I think I actually got sick behind that weather. The next day we were in the 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 02:11 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I was in Brisbane in late August and it was 36C: that's the problem with alot of mid and northern Oz, heatwaves any time of year.

Perth summers seem to drag on and on. If you look at averages they aren't that hot, but they seem hotter because heatwaves are frequent (a few 40C days a year, many 35C days), and you get this persistent sunshine until May.
You are dead right, Perth's summers are very long and hot.
I have been there in February and March and it was very hot.
Heatwaves seem to occur most frequently in Perth and Adelaide compared with other capitals.
Bear in mind though, temps up to the low 30's Celsius (about 90 degrees Farenheit) are quite tolerable in Perth.
At mid-latitudes on the east coast, such as Brisbane or even the NSW-QLD border region where I lived for several years, temperatures at or above 28-29 degrees (85 degrees Farenheit) are virtually insufferable during summer due to the humidity and sun strength.
I remember having floods there in February and March, however within a couple of days it was back to 33-36 degrees (nearly 100) with 99% humidity.
The heat comes back almost instantly once the rain has gone.
Try that, and a mosquito plague to boot, and you wonder why you anyone would ever want to live there.
This would never happen at a latitude such as Sydney, or even Newcastle for that matter.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:44 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Heatwaves seem to occur most frequently in Perth and Adelaide compared with other capitals.
Bear in mind though, temps up to the low 30's Celsius (about 90 degrees Farenheit) are quite tolerable in Perth.
At mid-latitudes on the east coast, such as Brisbane or even the NSW-QLD border region where I lived for several years, temperatures at or above 28-29 degrees (85 degrees Farenheit) are virtually insufferable during summer due to the humidity and sun strength.
I remember having floods there in February and March, however within a couple of days it was back to 33-36 degrees (nearly 100) with 99% humidity.
Try that, and a mosquito plague to boot, and you wonder why you anyone would ever want to live there.
This would never happen at a latitude such as Sydney, or even Newcastle for that matter.
The reverse: some places get so much snow and cold weather that you wonder why anyone would want to live there

Old 11-02-2009, 10:23 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
When I was in Coffs Harbour in 2005 it was about 32C with 100% humidity and that felt as bad as anywhere I've been in the tropics. It's a more oppressive kind of heat then you usually get in Perth.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:32 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,895,820 times
There is no such thing as 32C with 100% humidity in Coffs harbour, or anywhere else in the country. Dewpoints above 22C are actually rather uncommon in NE NSW.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:23 AM

174 posts, read 516,569 times
We recently experienced the edge of the blast of cold that hit the Rocky Mountains of the U.S. Here in Los Angeles the early morning temperatures were generally between 45F and 50F. You should hear the residents whine. You would think nuclear winter had hit. It was colder than average for October, but not record breaking by any means.

Having been raised on the east coast of the U.S., I miss the winter. The coldest temperatures you ever experience in Los Angeles are temperatures near or around freezing - and that only happens about ten miles inland. The coast is moderated by the Pacific.

I've gotten used to 60 degree Christmas Days even though I still sigh a bit in December, but I must confess that it makes life easier when you never have to worry about bundling up or shoveling snow.

Heat bothers me. In Los Angeles the air quality tends to decline with increased temperatures. August and September are horrible.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:03 PM

872 posts, read 1,712,611 times
Anything below 70 degrees here in Orlando is considered cold. the funny thing is the weather changes so very little on a day-to -day basis unlike New Hampshire where I grew up. We're warm/hot the entire year but last month we were unseasonably warm and it felt just like July/August. Anyhow, someone said its easier to get used to the cold and I disagree. In the heat you can at least head inside with the AC blasting full throttle. In the cold you can only layer up and at a certain level you need some amount of mobility just to do something basic. The cold in NH during the winter months was so extreme that sometimes it was painful just trying to speak.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:52 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I never really get "used" to the heat, but by the end of Summer I can tolerate it a little better. Our first taste of cooler weather is always a shock, because it's been 6-7 months since we've felt it, but to me it's a pleasant shock; a relief. I get used to winter weather pretty quickly, and just try to savor every moment of it knowing that we'll see warm weather again in April or even March, and then it won't go away until at least mid October.
It's the same here in central Texas. Now that the weather is delightful, I think I can stand living here forever but in reality, I know what awaits me again rather early in the year. I despise the relentless heat and when it's gone for a while, it's absolute excitement for me. I act as crazy as a child in a candy store because it's such a relief that words can't even describe the feelings it brings.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:23 AM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
In the heat you can at least head inside with the AC blasting full throttle. In the cold you can only layer up and at a certain level you need some amount of mobility just to do something basic.
And you can't go inside with the heater on

Old 11-08-2009, 08:07 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
It's the same here in central Texas. Now that the weather is delightful, I think I can stand living here forever but in reality, I know what awaits me again rather early in the year. I despise the relentless heat and when it's gone for a while, it's absolute excitement for me. I act as crazy as a child in a candy store because it's such a relief that words can't even describe the feelings it brings.
Same here..Live in North Carolina...originally from New England. Once October comes i get happy again and stay that way until April. Come May to September I get hot and miserable. Give me a 40 degree day over 90 any time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather