Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:34 PM

5 posts, read 22,869 times

Advertisements

The thing about temperate climates, at least where I live, is that while it is rainy and just warm enough to not snow from Nov.-Mar., the average summer day is about 80 with low humidity and usually no rain in sight. It's pretty much the best weather on earth during those summer months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 11:46 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Well, like I mentioned in another thread in my opinion, I think there are three basic types of subtropical climates

cool winter-hot summer subtype - Eg. Dallas, TX, Shanghai, China, Raleigh, NC
warm winter-hot summer subtype - Eg. Orlando, FL, Hong Kong, China, Brisbane, Australia
warm winter-cool summer subtype - Eg. San Francisco, CA, Bogota, Colombia, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

NYC I suppose could be said to be right on the cusp between temperate and subtropical as its average January temp is at 32F (0C) and has 7 vs 8 months of 10C and above....

The biggest problem with Temperate climates for me anyways, is that the winters are far too cold....I think many of us agree with that and subtropical climates are superior in that regard.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:05 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Where I'm from, it's easy to have daytime highs at 12 C or below from late-Sep until mid-May:
That's almost 8 straight months where it's weather you "could" need at least a coat, midday.

*Could be "fine" if the only kind of weather you hate is "heat", but I'm not one of those people.

**With Toronto being at the colder end of "temperate," few people would consider Toronto's normal temperatures "balanced";
we definitely err toward the colder or at least cooler side most of the year, and occaisionally in summer too,
so we are probably the reverse of what Derek was saying about "sub-tropical" climates.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 11-18-2009 at 09:17 AM..

Old 03-21-2010, 08:53 PM

7 posts, read 18,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
They are way over-dramatized! I've been to beaches when its 70 and people are wearing sweat suits and winter coats! Please, give me a break!
Agreed, i lived in houston all of my life and the minute its below 70, i see all people wearing sweaters. wonder what would happen if thwy had to go to Chi town.....whoo wee!!!

Old 03-21-2010, 08:57 PM

7 posts, read 18,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Although New York is technically in a subtropical climate, I really wouldn't consider it that. Average highs between December and February are in the upper 30s and lower 40s. Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, etc. are truly subtropical.
not even subtropical, more like humid continental. tx,LA, Ga,Miss,Fl and all of the gulf section is TRULY subtropical

Old 03-22-2010, 06:22 AM

578 posts, read 1,188,726 times
Here are London's mean temps.

Jan: 5.5C
Feb: 5.6C
Mar: 7.7C
Apr: 9.8C
May: 13.4C
Jun: 16.3C
Jul: 18.7C
Aug: 18.4C
Sep: 15.6C
Oct: 12.1C
Nov: 8.2C
Dec: 5.9C

Year: 11.4C

Not really subtropical.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:38 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUSTONBOY View Post
not even subtropical, more like humid continental. tx,LA, Ga,Miss,Fl and all of the gulf section is TRULY subtropical
Nah, Winters in NYC/Philly/Bmore/DC are too "mild" to be considered humid continental.

Subtropical is better than Temperate imo. Even though the climate I live in is just barely Subtropical we still get nights that don't drop below 80 in the Summer, most nights are in the low-70's but upper-60's to mid/upper-70's are common too. Most days are in the mid-80's to low-90's.

Most Winter days are in the 40's, even that is too cold for me. I'm already acclimate to mid-Spring after this stretch of nice weather, I was actually cold today and we were still above average by a few degrees (maybe because it was cloudy though).

70 isn't beach weather, thats too cold.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:53 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,898,596 times
IMO Anywhere that gets even a smidgen of snow is not even remotely subtropical, even if summers fit the bill.

Personally, I reckon an average low/high during the coldest month of 10C/50F , 20C/68F should be the minimum to be considered subtropical. Anything colder is temperate.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:35 AM

813 posts, read 951,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
IMO Anywhere that gets even a smidgen of snow is not even remotely subtropical, even if summers fit the bill.

Personally, I reckon an average low/high during the coldest month of 10C/50F , 20C/68F should be the minimum to be considered subtropical. Anything colder is temperate.
This opinion is coming from someone who has lived their whole life in one city so don't read too much into it....Young ones think they know everything...lol

Old 03-23-2010, 09:20 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
^^ Brisbane isn't even that warm in winter, by your definitions to be "sub-tropical."

To me, a "sub-tropical summer" should have the 3 warmest monthly-means of 24+ C (75+ F)
I think I would find Brisbane's summers barely-subtropical,
while Perth's summers may be short of the "3 months of 24+ C monthly-mean."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather