Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:06 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,922,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Well depends on their definitions.
It would be sub-tropical compared to Toronto:
Any place with a "hot" summer and winters where the ground isn't normally frozen.
Also an abundance of broad-leaf evergreens sounds subtropical compared to here.
So would you consider Cincinnati, St. Louis or Kansas City subtropical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 07:49 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,436,946 times
Another danger is to make "temperate" climate too broad. I'm not sure if there is any logic in putting, say, Atlanta and Quebec City into "temperate" category.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:32 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,589,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Another danger is to make "temperate" climate too broad. I'm not sure if there is any logic in putting, say, Atlanta and Quebec City into "temperate" category.
I would consider Quebec City to be on the northern boundary of the cold temperate zone, almost subarctic.
Atlanta I would consider to be warm temperate and not quite subtropical.
The dividing line between warm temperate and cold temperate would be somewhere like NYC I would think where the average temperature in the coldest month is about 0C (32F) - below 0C (32F) is cold temperate and above 0C (32F) is warm temperate.
The dividing line between Warm Temperate and Subtropical in my mind is 50F (10C) for the coldest month. Above 50F for the coldest month average is subtropical and below 50F but greater than 32F is warm temperate. That seems to make sense to me as a general rule with possibly a few exceptions.

Last edited by deneb78; 03-25-2010 at 09:04 PM..

Old 03-25-2010, 09:29 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,695,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
So would you consider Cincinnati, St. Louis or Kansas City subtropical?
If Canada acquired them, yes!

Actually I would say going west from Cinncinnati,
your choices would have increasingly continental climates.
I would be very hestistant calling KC sub-tropical.
St. Louis is marginally subtropical erring more on "warm-continental", relative to Ontario.
Cincinnati would be somewhat sub-tropical.

I was in Cincinnati this past autumn.
Plant life looked similar to what grows around D.C. and central Maryland.

If you want to go by what I really "feel"
subtropical northwestern limit would start in northeast TX maybe 50 miles south of Oklahoma and 50 miles east of Dallas
head east to where it's mild enough for Spanish Moss, then bend northeast as you head into eastern SC
and terminating somewhere in coastal NC, somewhere north of New Bern and Cape Hatteras
This is the land where local residents almost never see snow; like 3+ years in between snowfall accumulations normally.

Most of the southeastern US I would class as "warm-temperate" or "warm-humid-continental"

Most of the northeastern and Midwestern US I'd class "cool/cold temperate" or "cool/cold-humid-continental"

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 03-25-2010 at 09:41 PM..

Old 03-25-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
If Canada acquired them, yes!

Actually I would say going west from Cinncinnati,
your choices would have increasingly continental climates.
I would be very hestistant calling KC sub-tropical.
St. Louis is marginally subtropical erring more on "warm-continental", relative to Ontario.
Cincinnati would be somewhat sub-tropical.

I was in Cincinnati this past autumn.
Plant life looked similar to what grows around D.C. and central Maryland.

If you want to go by what I really "feel"
subtropical northwestern limit would start in northeast TX maybe 50 miles south of Oklahoma and 50 miles east of Dallas
head east to where it's mild enough for Spanish Moss, then bend northeast as you head into eastern SC
and terminating somewhere in coastal NC, somewhere north of New Bern and Cape Hatteras
This is the land where local residents almost never see snow; like 3+ years in between snowfall accumulations normally.

Most of the southeastern US I would class as "warm-temperate" or "warm-humid-continental"

Most of the northeastern and Midwestern US I'd class "cool/cold temperate" or "cool/cold-humid-continental"
I agree with you however Cincinnati seems to be several degrees colder than DC during winter and even NYC but I do see how they would have the same plant life because they are at the same latitude and have similar summer temps.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:47 PM

Default My opinion on versions "temperate climates"

American/North American Temperate Climates:

Warm-Temperate: Annual means of 56 F to 64 F
Cool-Temperate: Annual means of 50-55 F
Cold-Temperate: Annual means of 43-49 F
Very-Cold Temperate: Annual means of 36-42 F (Taiga/Northern Woodlands temps?)

Anything lower an annual mean of 36 F "should" be sub-Arctic, imho.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:56 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,436,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I would consider Quebec City to be on the northern boundary of the cold temperate zone, almost subarctic.
Atlanta I would consider to be warm temperate and not quite subtropical.
The dividing line between warm temperate and cold temperate would be somewhere like NYC I would think where the average temperature in the coldest month is about 0C (32F) - below 0C (32F) is cold temperate and above 0C (32F) is warm temperate.
The dividing line between Warm Temperate and Subtropical in my mind is 50F (10C) for the coldest month. Above 50F for the coldest month average is subtropical and below 50F but greater than 32F is warm temperate. That seems to make sense to me as a general rule with possibly a few exceptions.
Or we could divide subtropical zone into "cool subtropical" and "warm subtropical". Cool subtropical would reach as far north as NYC

Old 03-25-2010, 09:57 PM

I agree with CC. I've also heard that where the annual mean temp is below 50F that Winter is the dominating season in the year and where the annual mean temp is above 50F that summer is the domination season. So pretty much the dividing line (according to this) is a line that stretches from Southeastern Nebraska, Southern IA, Northern IL, Northern IN and Northern OH. Do you guys agree with this? Do you guys view a place like Omaha, NE (average annual temp of 50F) as having "equal" 4 seasons?

Old 03-25-2010, 11:11 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,871,057 times
But the issue with that is , at exactly what temps are the seasons "defined"?

Old 03-25-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
I agree with CC. I've also heard that where the annual mean temp is below 50F that Winter is the dominating season in the year and where the annual mean temp is above 50F that summer is the domination season. So pretty much the dividing line (according to this) is a line that stretches from Southeastern Nebraska, Southern IA, Northern IL, Northern IN and Northern OH. Do you guys agree with this? Do you guys view a place like Omaha, NE (average annual temp of 50F) as having "equal" 4 seasons?
Warm-temperate is where summer weather (or growing season) starts to dominate.

I would say "cool temperate" would have equal balance between winter and summer dominance.
Think Boston, NYC, NJ, Indianapolis, Columbus OH, Pittsburgh, southern Iowa etc.
April's and October's weather is typically pleasant, but you'd probably want a light jacket morning, evening and overnight.
Toronto is generally like that in the first half of May, and the last half of September.
(Apr and Oct seem to be "mid-points" in most seasonal climates )

Ontario misses out on "cool-temperate"; Windsor's mean is 49 F.

Cold-temperate can still have satisfying growing seasons, for agricultural purposes.
Most of southern Ontario's main challenge for agriculture is short summer duration, not inadequate summer temps.

Very-Cold Temperate would probably be when even the summer temps can be cool/cold enough to hurt agriculture.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 03-25-2010 at 11:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather