Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which YEAR ROUND Weather Is Better To Live In?
Phoenix (boiling hot summers / gorgeous winters) 63 40.13%
Minneapolis (freezing cold winters / gorgeous summers) 94 59.87%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 06:26 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times

Advertisements

I voted for Minneapolis, which is ironic since I've never had the pleasure of visiting! However, I don't think I could stand the brutal heat in Phoenix. During the day it's 115 and then it "cools down" to 95! No, thanks. Besides, Phoenix is so dry that everything is brown and parched (kind of like So-Cal is looking right now because we just had our driest winter on record!).

I probably shouldn't have voted, since I have no direct experience with really cold weather for months on end. I still think I'd rather deal with cold than heat, though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 09:08 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Wow- I must've spent the coldest winter on record in MPL then. I worked there for several months at a stretch, and at no point in the winter did it reach above 10 degrees. I walked from the hotel to my work building through the rat maze downtown (aka skyways). Actually, the fact that there ARE skyways should give you a clue as to the harsh winters. When it was time to come home I got in my car in the enclosed parking and brought it back to the airport enclosed parking. It was just too way f'in cold there in the dead of winter for my liking.
Are you sure you were in Minneapolis? Several *days* in a row not reaching 10 degrees happens every few years, but certainly never months.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:40 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,059 times
Phoenix for me. Minneapolis has far from great summers. Minneapolis routinely has annual heat waves in the 90's with extreme humidity making it feel as though it's around 110 degrees. Minneapolis winters are dangerously cold, the fact that the average low in Minneapolis is literally 2 degrees in January is not the comforting either.

I don't see how anyone can actually enjoy the climate of Minnesota, as it experiences volatile temperature swings in every season, with the exception of summer. The fact that it might be 65-70 degrees one day, and the next day there's an accumulation of snow on the ground, just proves that Phoenix has a more appealing climate.

At least in Phoenix during summer, you can be active in the early morning or late in the evening. Sure, it frequently doesn't get below 85 degrees at night in Phoenix, but with the low humidity that 85 often feels very relaxing. Plus, December and January in Phoenix, is comparable to early-mid May/early-mid September, without the variability the MSP often experiences during that time. Plus, you can't beat the arid climate Phoenix.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:02 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Are you sure you were in Minneapolis? Several *days* in a row not reaching 10 degrees happens every few years, but certainly never months.
Swear!!!! This was winter 94/95..................

Old 05-14-2007, 02:07 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
I would definitely choose Minneapolis over Phoenix in terms of weather. I do not mind the humidity at all, but can not stand very dry arid climates. I can not tolerate the heat either, and anything above 80F feels hot to me. Minneapolis also has a lot of winter activities to do even though mountains are not nearby. Ice fishing, snowmobiling, and skiing at nearby locations in the Minneapolis metro is not to bad. I do not mind the cold at all and it only bothers me if the temperature gets lower than -10F. Green landscapes appeal to me compared with ugly brown landscapes.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:53 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Minneapolis might have heat waves that last a week or more, true. But at least its not MONTHS of constant, deadly, arid heat.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:26 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,908 times
Minneapolis! Humidity doesn't bother you when you have issues sweating regardless (as I do).

Old 05-14-2007, 04:02 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,713,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Minneapolis might have heat waves that last a week or more, true. But at least its not MONTHS of constant, deadly, arid heat.
This is true. Places in the upper Midwest like MPLS, Milwaukee, Chicago, Indianapolis, etc., may have a week or so of hot, humid heat in the summer, but then a massive cold front will roll through and cool things for a long stretch. MPL's highest summertime average temp for a month is 83 degrees...downright cool, even with humidity factored in, to much of the country in the summer.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:41 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
This is true. Places in the upper Midwest like MPLS, Milwaukee, Chicago, Indianapolis, etc., may have a week or so of hot, humid heat in the summer, but then a massive cold front will roll through and cool things for a long stretch. MPL's highest summertime average temp for a month is 83 degrees...downright cool, even with humidity factored in, to much of the country in the summer.
Amen! Most people seem to think the midwest is hot and humid all summer long, like Florida or Louisiana or Arkansas, etc. Its not! Sure we have spells here and there, but nothing to write home about. I LOVE the midwestern summers, you get a nice mix of everything (hot and dry, hot and humid, cool and dry, cool and humid, etc)!

Old 05-14-2007, 11:11 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,059 times
[quote=Steve-o;717551]Amen! Most people seem to think the midwest is hot and humid all summer long, like Florida or Louisiana or Arkansas, etc. Its not! Sure we have spells here and there, but nothing to write home about. I LOVE the midwestern summers, you get a nice mix of everything (hot and dry, hot and humid, cool and dry, cool and humid, etc)![/QUOTE

Minneapolis might not be hot and humid all summer, but there are definitely long periods where it is hot and humid. I saw that Minneapolis already hit a high of 90 degrees yesterday, whereas Phoenix was just above 100. However, the humdity was low enough here in Phoenix that it felt much cooler. I bet that 90 degree reading in Mpls. carried some humidity with it. People seem to get thrown off by the fact that triple digits are a norm in Phoenix, but are unaware of the fact that 100 degrees does not feel as bad as it does anywhere else in the country. Children still play outdoors when its 105-110, something that they wouldn't be able to do in the Midwest or Back-East because of the humidity. Plus, by the time August and September roll around, Phoenix actually experiences a monsoon, where temperatures cool down into the 90s, usually accompanied decent amount of rain.

I realize that hot weather may not be for all, however, it's really not as bad as you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather