Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which YEAR ROUND Weather Is Better To Live In?
Phoenix (boiling hot summers / gorgeous winters) 63 40.13%
Minneapolis (freezing cold winters / gorgeous summers) 94 59.87%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 09:19 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,167,014 times

Advertisements

???

110, no matter where in the country, is too dangerous to be playing in, humidity or not. Sure Phoenix is dry, everyone knows that, but playing outside in that brutal sunshine (PHX has the highest skin cancer rates in the world) and dry heat, dehydrates you much faster than in a humid environment. Last summer in IL we had a massive heat wave that lasted 5 days. On the hottest day, my brother and I hiked 8 miles, while wearing pants. Sure we were soaked in sweat, but I only went through a small 16 oz water in those 4 hours we were out. In Phoenix, I hiked Mummy Mountain, when it was "only" 95, and not only did I get royally sunburned in no time, but I went through TWO 32 oz waters, ON THE WAY UP. The desert is no joke, and it dehydrates you much faster, as there is no moisture in the ari. Not only that, but its bad for the sinuses, skin and hair. Just look at Alice Cooper to see what Phoenix will do to you (j/k). LOL Anyways, 110 is HOT, especially if youre in the sun, its absolutely brutal. Stepping into a 140 degree car in Phoenix is something you have to experience to believe, its HELL. Here, we get some hot and humid spells, the rest of the summer is completely comfortable with low humidity and highs in the 70s and 80s. PHX can expect 5-6 months of 100 plus, with several 110 and 120 days. I know, Ive experienced it many times. Dry, yes. Comfortable? No. And about monsoons. Sure the temps drop a little, for a few measely days (hey look, a cloud! WOOT!), but then what happens? Yep! You guessed it! The humidity skyrockets in PHX and it feels crappy too. But then the monsoons pass, the blazing sun comes back out, and the temps skyrocket again. Thats not exactly what I call a break. LOL Up here, we get NICE breaks, something PHX doesnt get all summer. And regarding playing outside and children, here they can frolick anywhere they want and not worry about scorpions, black widows, gila monsters, rattlesnakes and giant centipedes. LOL IN grass too! Or under the shade of a mighty oak tree. Imagine that! LOL

All in good fun...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 11:43 AM

6,615 posts, read 16,513,243 times
[quote=miamiman;718131]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Amen! Most people seem to think the midwest is hot and humid all summer long, like Florida or Louisiana or Arkansas, etc. Its not! Sure we have spells here and there, but nothing to write home about. I LOVE the midwestern summers, you get a nice mix of everything (hot and dry, hot and humid, cool and dry, cool and humid, etc)![/QUOTE

Minneapolis might not be hot and humid all summer, but there are definitely long periods where it is hot and humid. I saw that Minneapolis already hit a high of 90 degrees yesterday, whereas Phoenix was just above 100. However, the humdity was low enough here in Phoenix that it felt much cooler. I bet that 90 degree reading in Mpls. carried some humidity with it. People seem to get thrown off by the fact that triple digits are a norm in Phoenix, but are unaware of the fact that 100 degrees does not feel as bad as it does anywhere else in the country. Children still play outdoors when its 105-110, something that they wouldn't be able to do in the Midwest or Back-East because of the humidity. Plus, by the time August and September roll around, Phoenix actually experiences a monsoon, where temperatures cool down into the 90s, usually accompanied decent amount of rain.

I realize that hot weather may not be for all, however, it's really not as bad as you think.
Well, I was here Sunday and yes it did hit 90 (actually 92 here in St Paul). Was a weird day, started out in the low 60s, had to wear my sweatshirt when I went out for bagels in the morning. Late afternoon, some kind of front went though and by 5:00 it hit 90.

But it was NOT humid! The dew point was in the high 40s, low 50s all day. We do get hot & humid days around here, but we also get hot & dry days, and Sunday was one of 'em.

Also, I've lived in Milwaukee and in Iowa City. Summers are definitely less humid here in MSP than they are in either of those places (and I'll venture to throw in Chicago, Indianapolis and St Louis (the king of humid summers!).

miamiman, I assume you live in Miami, so you know humidity. I lived there too, for 6 years. Unlike the constant humidity Miami endures from March to November, in the upper Midwest, we have stretches of humidity intermixed with stretches of dryness, so at least there is relief.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:16 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,900,048 times
I'll take the cold winter, nice summer. I live in ohio and love the change in seasons. Winter only sucks from Jan-march...........AZ is way too hot and sunny for me. Besides, i love fall and can't imagine living someplace where there isn't one. Also, watching college and high school football in the heat would suck. I love the crisp smell and feel of autumn air!

Old 05-15-2007, 12:20 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,375,727 times
Why would anyone want to watch high school football in any weather?

Old 05-15-2007, 12:31 PM

942 posts, read 1,383,112 times
I like MSP, its only the climate I cannot stand, it is a virtual icebox, long cold winters, are worse than New England. If it were not for the weather there, I think it is a great place to live. Phoenix, Im not a fan of that city period, worse planned city I have ever encountered, add in the blistering heat and dust and dryness, I can't stand it. Its a shame all the decent cities are the cold weather climates, or if they are nice like San Diego, few can afford to live in them.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:47 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,900,048 times
Well, being from NE Ohio, it's kind of like texas when it comes to high school football. I know high school football doesn't matter in lots of areas, but since we have a lot of talent here we like to watch it. It doesn't hurt that professional football started here either.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:27 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,375,727 times
OK, I'm really not into spectator sports, but if you enjoy it, go for it.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:59 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,645,395 times
I chose Phoenix. I don't like extreme weather of any sort, but I can't stand the cold. Anything below 60 degrees and I'm freezing my tuchus off.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:08 PM

615 posts, read 1,370,420 times
Talking Phoenix is one of the best-managed cities in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
Phoenix, I'm not a fan of that city period, worse planned city I have ever encountered . . .
What do you think that Phoenix is the worst planned city that you have ever encountered? The municipal government of Phoenix has been widely recognized for its effective city management. Phoenix, for example, was selected as the 1993 winner of Germany's Carl Bertelsmann Prize for being the best run city-government in the world after a months-long search for models of modern, efficient municipal governments. Phoenix's municipal government has been widely recognized for its effective city management. Phoenix was also recognized as the best-managed of the nation's 30 largest cities by Financial World and was the only competitor to receive a straight "A" report card in the annual "State of the Cities" rankings, according to this link.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:10 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,167,014 times
Im sure they were referring to the roadways/development planning, not government? Who knows...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather