Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 10:54 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,523,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Doesn't Buckeye and all of AZ get pretty chilly at night in winter? I've seen the Phoenix area get frost and freeze warnings and even snow in the past.

Also this thread is about a "temperate" climate, which is not a warm one. 60's is temperate.

But I do somewhat agree, I wish nights in SD were a little warmer, but it's better than the rest of CA at night except for the desert. I couldn't stand how in the Bay Area it would be 95 during the day and 50 at night.
Well I would certainly never call the Phx area temperate!! But our nights do get cold in Dec and Jan usually. But I have been very cold in SD in the summer time. (the June gloom) When I said 60's are not warm I was talking for high temps.
To me Hawaii has the most temperate weather. It does not change much. I have not spent much time in Oahu but I have never used AC in Maui.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 11:10 AM

18,967 posts, read 32,451,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strategery52 View Post
Check it out:
Weather Variety - Least Variety

The California coast definitely has the "least variety" of weather, according to this report, which generally corresponds to most temperate or most pleasant. Also could be interpreted as most boring, but I don't think so; I just classify the seasons of California different: fog, heat, fire, and winter storm.
Even though SD has "boring" weather and little variation after living here for a while I can tell the difference between the 4 seasons. Winter is nice during the day, chilly at night with low humidity usually and we get rain. Spring the high temps are not that different but the low temp starts to creep up and there is less variation btwn day and night and it's more humid than winter. Summer is perfect with the least variation btwn day and night and it's the most humid time of year. Fall is great, very sunny and like summer except less humid and cooler at night. And when I say "humid" that is relative of course.

And you're "fog, heat, fire, and winter storm" seasons are pretty accurate too. Spring is definately fog, summer is heat, fall IS fires, and winter storms are....well what they are.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:16 AM

18,967 posts, read 32,451,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
Well I would certainly never call the Phx area temperate!! But our nights do get cold in Dec and Jan usually. But I have been very cold in SD in the summer time. (the June gloom) When I said 60's are not warm I was talking for high temps.
To me Hawaii has the most temperate weather. It does not change much. I have not spent much time in Oahu but I have never used AC in Maui.

Agree, hate the "May Gray" and "June gloom". Some years it's bad and some we barely even get it. 60's are definitely not warm for highs, but I noticed that the same temp here in SD will feel warmer than a place like SF b/c it's not as windy and sunnier generally, nice but not warm. When I go on vacation I want warm weather and HI is way better for that, love the weather there; too isolated for me to want to live there though. Summers (july and Aug and NOT June) hear remind me of Winter in HI. Honolulu is probably warmer than the other islands b/c it might have that urban heat island effect with so much development.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:10 PM

312 posts, read 1,516,070 times
Well,SD has PERFECT climate for me !

Old 02-26-2009, 02:39 AM

1 posts, read 8,955 times
I need to find a place to retire I have fibromylgia so too much rain and cold are out of the question. I grew up in LA and hate it so that is also out of the question. I have three horses and would need at lest five or more acres. We bring in a decent retiremnt but were not rich. Anyone have ny ideas?

Old 02-26-2009, 08:51 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,339,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockybull View Post
I need to find a place to retire I have fibromylgia so too much rain and cold are out of the question. I grew up in LA and hate it so that is also out of the question. I have three horses and would need at lest five or more acres. We bring in a decent retiremnt but were not rich. Anyone have ny ideas?
I wish I could help you. I also have fibromyalgia so I know exactly what you're saying. The only thing I can do is eliminate a part of the country for you. You don't want to live in the Upper Midwest.

People often say that the desert is good for arthritis sufferers, but I'd be interested in what others have to say for fibro sufferers.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:58 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,874,861 times
In terms of the least vairation between temps diurnally and throughout the year, it would probably be Eureka California.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:39 PM

5 posts, read 35,464 times
If you're looking for temperate, Morro Bay, CA may be your spot, with only a 7 degree high temperature range over the year. Highs range from 62 to 69 degrees, lows range from 42 to 53 degrees, and with the ocean influence, extreme temperatures are rare, yet there will be outliers. I know that it does get into the seventies there in winter a few times. Also, Morto Bay is cheaper than most of coastal California.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:44 PM

5 posts, read 35,464 times
I should also mention that it is NOT too rainy- less than 20 inches a year in Moreo Bay. Through all my searching I can conclude that it is the most temperate, in difference between summer and winter, in the US with the exception of Hawaii and Puerto Rico.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:25 AM

3,431 posts, read 5,211,270 times
It seems this thread turned into what is the "best" climate rather than what fit the original criteria of 40-80 degrees year-round, with few exceptions. For that, coastal California from SF to SD would fit the criteria, although I would say Santa Barbara and San Diego probably get the mildest temps within that range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather