Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 12:43 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,425,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by free_food View Post
I like four seasons, but that is just too dang cold. I could probably never live much North of the Texas border, lol...
I don't blame you. I'm not here by choice~like from a move. I was born here and I've never liked our winters. SO many other good things here, but winter is definitely not a plus in my area. It's the number one minus.

Tan, I remember the story you're talking about. She was such a sweet gal and was very young. I followed her story as she struggled through that winter. I thought she was so cool because she had the courage to come back to her home state forum and tell everyone that she was wrong and she missed what she'd originally had. That took a lot of courage cause she had said she was so glad to leave because she was sick of the heat.

I still wish there was a way to "even out" the weather so we could all be happy. I'd have loved to take 50 deg. of warmth from anyone offering it this week. That would've put my "feels like" temp at 25 above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 08:44 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,412,813 times
I do appreciate the concern and it's not falling on deaf ears. I truly believe, however, that I'm suffering from SAD as I just CAN'T take it down here anymore, I honestly hate it(& for more reasons than just weather). I too didn't choose to live here but was born here but finally I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel as we are finally leaving this place. Did that girl you mentioned spend anytime up North? Although I have never lived in a cold climate, I have spent a good amt. of time up North in New England primarily and I know it's no substitute for actually living in a place, I have spent months in total in the cold. Hey, could I be wrong? Yes, I certaintly could be wrong and because of this, we will only be renting for the first yr., renting a place and renting out our home as a contingency incase we can't take the cold or the economy, ect. I am quite confident though, that I won't have any problems with the cold. So nobody who was raised in a hot climate and then moved to a cold one, can make it and had to move back? I was just reading about two Floridians who just moved to Fairbanks, granted I don't know how they are doing. I just love the time I've spent up North and it would kill me to have to stay here, the heat and humidity has me truly depressed. Heck, maybe I'm nuts, I don't know? I can't imagine I'm the only one who wants to make a drastic change, ppl do the reverse all the time. I will keep you posted! Take care and thanks again.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:50 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,412,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith n Beth :-) View Post
I have lived in eastern Maine my entire life(almost 40)and I love Maine, it's my roots, but I would love to be in SF warm sunshine. I am planning a move this spring to Florida with my husband and two boys, I'm nervous as ever it is a tremendous move for our family---any suggestions as to a family friendly town? Have looked at Palm Bay, and Palm Coast would love any input. Good luck to all who are looking to change their current living places
I'm so sorry, I just saw your post today. I'm using my PDA for everything right now and wow, do I ever have some sore thumbs, lol. In all seriousness, I will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have re: Florida. I will DM you today and see if I can help. Take care!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:18 AM

Lil, sorry if it sounded like I was preaching to you or making parallels with the other situation we were talking about.

I don't believe she had spent much time at all up north before she moved. It seems like it was N.H. Just her luck, they ended up with an extremely snowy winter~even more then average.

I do remember that she had been there visiting, but can't remember what seasons she'd been there. Her husband and his family were from N.H. so it wasn't totally unfamiliar to her.

She was a Fla. native and her husband agreed to move back up north. He'd lived in Fla. for a few years and was shocked saying he didn't remember it being that cold and snowy.

He had an outside job~law enforcement~so there was no way to avoid the elements. That is something else that can make a huge difference. If you know that you will always have an office job, your life will be easier. If you're a paramedic, salesman, truck driver, and many occupations, you HAVE to be able to spend a lot of time outside in the cold no matter how horrible it gets.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to discourage you. I do understand about the SAD thing cause I swear I have it during the wintertime. We do get a lot of sunshine in my area, but it has very little warmth this time of year so that may make a difference, too.

I just don't want to see someone move many miles without being warned that winter can be brutal in some areas. I've been to your state and just love it. BUT there is no way that anyone could've described the differences in our humidity. Now I like humidity and we get some pretty humid and muggy, high dewpoint days here, too, BUT it rarely can compare to those in Fla.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:36 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,602,879 times
I don't think pointing out all the variables is discouraging really. One has to be prepared for a major change, south to north is drastic. I'd really be concerned about Ely, Minnesota (no offense intended to Minnesota) but Ely is all the way north and I wouldn't go there.

I've been in the midwest always and couldn't live much further north than where I am now. If I could, I'd be by my sister!

Old 12-14-2009, 05:23 AM

OH, I think the Minnesotans know it's very cold and aren't offended. Anybody can call my area the tundra and I don't care cause it's kinda true.

I just checked out Ely and it would be one I'd scratch from the list. It's minus 8 right now with a "feels like" temp of minus 8. Granted, it feels 12 deg. warmer there then at my house. BUT their avg. Jan. low is minus 9 and their avg. Jan. high is 14. Factor in the windchill and it will be extremely miserable. My avg. Jan. low is 4 above and it's bad enough here. (Just using Jan. cause it's the coldest month on avg.)

Iowa City looks pretty good to me right now. Their temp is 34 and their windchill is 30. But they can get cold and snow, too. Storms that come out of Colo. hit them. Iowa is a fairly reasonable cost of living state. I don't know if that's a concern at all, but Colo is quite expensive.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:53 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,012,429 times
I'm in Mpls and wouldn't live in Ely either. We have 3-4 different climates in this state and yes, the far north can get extremely cold. Speaking of that - tonight will be -7 here and tom orrow it will be awful again. Global warming must just hit certain parts of the world This is too cold for December.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:47 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,602,879 times
Someone pointed out (scarey) the every other month routine we've been having! September was above normal almost all month then October tanked, November was unbelievable it was so nice and now we have December tossing out some colder than normal temps!

Wait, does that mean January will be wonderful??? Lets all think no single digits in January, oh, ok, maybe that is a stretch!!!

Old 12-14-2009, 09:53 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,017,751 times
It's going to be 90 degrees here soon, but it will be 90 degrees Kelvin.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:56 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,650,854 times
Oh how I would of loved 90s when I couldn't get home in the ice storm yesterday. Accidents everywhere.....cold and freezing "black ice."
I am living also where I grew up. In NEPA and also spending time in NENJ. The heat just never bothered me in Florida. I'd prefer warm sunshine and heat. Swimming to cool off rather then shoveling........
Although I love winter at Christmas time, I am so happy to head south for warmth and fun during those grey, dark, damp and snowy days of winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather