Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:45 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times

Advertisements

Light covering in central Minnesota( about 1-2 inches)

The plowed fields still look black from a distance

However, what we got will still be here til at least March ( plus additional amounts) cuz the ground already has a frost depth and normal highs are in the teens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 09:38 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Aren't most varities of grasses in the northern states green all winter The bermuda we have here is brown from late November through March.
Yeah, most/all northern grasses never go completely brown, without being permanently killed.
There's always some green left even after a heavy snow finally melts away.

*But the degree of "greenness" changes; thick, vibrant and rich in spring-like weather
to maybe 80% of all blades going completely-brown by the end of winter where the lawn looks "mottled" in overall appearance.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:01 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Only 8" so far in town. Supposed to snow this weekend.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:52 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Aren't most varities of grasses in the northern states green all winter The bermuda we have here is brown from late November through March.
I’m no grass expert (lol)…but I think CC is right. I don't know about the far northern states...but the grass in the Tri-State area/Mid Atlantic area of the East Coast seems to turn a straw like color from Dec to March…then slowly gets green again in April. However, from what I could see, the grass still seems more green than yellow. We did have alot of rain in the Mid Atlantic in the first part of December. Maybe that why it is still greenish.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:06 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Grass is still green as always in Vancouver, BC (never even turns brown after a snowfall)... and we have a trace of snow on the ground.. some light snow flurries today... first of the season in the city...

Old 12-11-2009, 11:11 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
A solid 4-5'' still here in NH. Temps will warm above freezing again by the end of the weekend. The longer range is still in flux according to the GFS. I think that temps will be close to average in New England with a few smaller snow chances. I don't see any big storms at the moment.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:18 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Default Compared with Vancouver...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Grass is still green as always in Vancouver, BC (never even turns brown after a snowfall)... and we have a trace of snow on the ground.. some light snow flurries today... first of the season in the city...
I think ours goes "mottled" because of snow cover that can last weeks, even months and/or because our frostline is 3 ft down.

*The grass I am most familiar with is Kentucky bluegrass, which is a soft, thick-bladed grass. This one goes "mottled"; like polkadots of green mixed in with the "straw". Other varieties like fescue, the mottling is less pronounced... but yeah, no healthy lawn grasses here are supposed to go entirely brown. Though I'm unsure about "bent grass." (used in golf course putting greens)

Old 12-12-2009, 01:20 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I think ours goes "mottled" because of snow cover that can last weeks, even months and/or because our frostline is 3 ft down.

*The grass I am most familiar with is Kentucky bluegrass, which is a soft, thick-bladed grass. This one goes "mottled"; like polkadots of green mixed in with the "straw". Other varieties like fescue, the mottling is less pronounced... but yeah, no healthy lawn grasses here are supposed to go entirely brown. Though I'm unsure about "bent grass." (used in golf course putting greens)

Yeah, I'm not sure what kind of grass they have here but often times you see moss growing throughout it. Our usual pattern for the winter is to get a week or two of freezing temperatures (usually not more than -10 at night) and then it goes back above freezing for a while with rain and then below freezing for a bit and the cycle continues like this for the winter, and so I don't think the ground here gets completely frozen. In fact, we do road construction work all year here even in the middle of winter. So, the ground must not be that frozen for them to be able to do that.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:34 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
The only living thing in central Minnesota that does not turn brown in winter are the pine trees. ( thus appropriately named " evergreen trees" )

Old 12-12-2009, 10:29 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
We have about 14" on the ground right now. Grass is still green as ever under the snow. In fact I had to mow the G-D yard the first week of December because it was still growing slowly and was getting long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather