Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 09:41 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Tonight, the system will spread heavy snow from the southern Appalachians into Virginiaand Maryland. Over a foot of snow will pile up in spots before the storm moves on late Saturday.

Meanwhile, gusty winds will roar along the coast, which could lead to coastal flooding and beach erosion. Tonight into Saturday, winds from Cape Hatteras to Atlantic City will top 50 mph at times.

The snowstorm will engulf the remainder of the mid-Atlantic Saturday, leading to even more travel headaches for those planning on heading into or out of the major East Coast cities from Raleigh to New York City.
http://www.accuweather.com/news-story.asp?article=0 (broken link)

Last night The Carolinas were under Winter Storm Watches and that has extended to the NYC area and probably even further north into Southern New England. Major Snowstorm has a different meaning for inland and a different meaning for the coast lol.

Why couldn't this happen on Christmas Eve & Christmas lol. I'm mad and excited at the same time, I'm mad because I hate cold-wintry weather but I'm excited because it's our first snow of the season and it's right around Christmas time. Last-Minute shoppers in the Mid-Atlantic (NC - CT) might want to try and get some things done today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 10:43 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
I'm glad I went through shopping hell yesterday at the malls. I'd rather this happen now because I don't want to be stranded home on Christmas (parties to attend and my father plows).

A good chunk of the east coast may have a white Christmas this year!

Old 12-18-2009, 11:02 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times

Old 12-18-2009, 11:18 AM

3,273 posts, read 2,968,632 times
I'm waiting to see how much we're really going to get. Right now, they are saying 10-12+ in my area.

I'm so glad DH bought a bigger snow blower in October.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:24 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,956,607 times
Boone, NC and the rest of NW NC and SW VA are going to see up to 2 feet of snow by Sunday morning!!! This is an amazing storm. Even non-mountainous areas like Greensboro, NC are predicted to have 6-10 inches of snow by tommorow morning! Absolutely amazing.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:57 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
We've gotten an inch an hour for 9 hours now and no end in sight. Getting down the hill to the barn in order to feed the horses in the morning is not going to be any fun at all.

If the wind gusts get much stronger then there will be some bad drifts to shovel my way through. Last March there was a deep drift right in front of the gate into the pasture that was hip high. Took and hour to shovel a route for what normally takes about 3 minutes to walk.

I've been going out and sweeping the side porch every couple of hours. If I don't I can't open the storm door because it swings out and there is too much snow to push. But I've got to go to bed at some point and so may have to exit via the front door and make my way round the house if the snow continues to fall at this same rate for the rest of the night.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:25 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Wow, I didn't even think of areas where snow is so uncommon that you don't have snow blowers and such. I imagine there is hardly enough plows to get to the roads, let alone plows for hire for driveways.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:37 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Now they're saying we may get Thundersnow during the height of the storm.

Still no snow yet but for the past 30 minutes the sky has been looking like its "All Systems Go".

Old 12-19-2009, 12:21 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Still not snowing in NW Jersey. I saw about three flakes while sprucing up the yard. But is is very cold out.

Hopefully it'll come soon!

Edit:

Nevermind. Just started snowing.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:34 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Now they're saying we may get Thundersnow during the height of the storm.

Still no snow yet but for the past 30 minutes the sky has been looking like its "All Systems Go".
I know you hate snow and cold while I love it. How about I get us two one way tickets to exchange locations for the week? My treat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather