Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 03:27 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I see how similar the two climates are. They're almost identical in many respects.

I guess one significant difference is that Durban has a much steeper gradient going inland. Some inland suburbs are over 500 m AMSL. This means you get greater climactic variety (I assume).

SSTs are pretty much the same, 21 - 27 for Brisbane and 22 - 26 for Durban. Annual rainfall for both cities averages around 1000 mm.

Durban has about 6 sunshine hours in its cloudiest months, so Brisbane beats it in that department, but not by a huge margin.

Durban winters are significantly dryer; Brisbane has 70% more June - August rainfall and more than double the number of rain days during this period.

I'd probably rather live in Brisbane due to Durban's high crime rate. But I prefer Durban's climate because of the dryer, warmer winters. Everytime I've been in Brisbane during the winter it's been marginally under my "shorts and t-shirt" threshold whereas Durban is probably just over it.

But overall you're right, there's not a lot of difference.
I'd take Brisbane for its higher sunshine - but then I prefer Mediterranean or desert types over these ones anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 02:31 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I'd take Brisbane for its higher sunshine - but then I prefer Mediterranean or desert types over these ones anyway.
Is that why you live in Wellington?

Old 05-15-2010, 04:11 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,174 times
Quote:
Is that why you live in Wellington?
Now then - Ch'ch ain't exactly desert territory either! (and W'gton gets about the same amount of sun). If it were a practical option for me, I'd live in NZ's sunniest zones. But I've had holidays in deserts (Atacama) and spent over 3 very sunny weeks in the dry season in east-central Brazil. Arizona is on the list of future destinations...

Old 05-15-2010, 10:37 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times
Quote:
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I see how similar the two climates are. They're almost identical in many respects.

I guess one significant difference is that Durban has a much steeper gradient going inland. Some inland suburbs are over 500 m AMSL. This means you get greater climactic variety (I assume).

SSTs are pretty much the same, 21 - 27 for Brisbane and 22 - 26 for Durban. Annual rainfall for both cities averages around 1000 mm.

Durban has about 6 sunshine hours in its cloudiest months, so Brisbane beats it in that department, but not by a huge margin.

Durban winters are significantly dryer; Brisbane has 70% more June - August rainfall and more than double the number of rain days during this period.

I'd probably rather live in Brisbane due to Durban's high crime rate. But I prefer Durban's climate because of the dryer, warmer winters.

Everytime I've been in Brisbane during the winter it's been marginally under my "shorts and t-shirt" threshold whereas Durban is probably just over it.

But overall you're right, there's not a lot of difference.
Can you describe typical winter temp patterns between Durban and Brisbane?

Warmer drier winters may be a plus; especially the warmer part.
Though if Durban's winter is drier with a similar annual total, wouldn't summer be wetter?
I don't think I'd want a summer any wetter than Brisbane.

With winter avgs as low as 20/9 C (68/48 F), the sunshine for me would "make-or-break" comfort in short sleeves.
I don't think I'd like short sleeves under 18 C (65 F) unless I was getting some immediate sun warmth.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:57 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,068 times
Sadly, I've never been in a desert, except for a one day drive to Las Vegas from LA.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:03 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,895,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Can you describe typical winter temp patterns between Durban and Brisbane?

Warmer drier winters may be a plus; especially the warmer part.
Though if Durban's winter is drier with a similar annual total, wouldn't summer be wetter?
I don't think I'd want a summer any wetter than Brisbane.

With winter avgs as low as 20/9 C (68/48 F), the sunshine for me would "make-or-break" comfort in short sleeves.
I don't think I'd like short sleeves under 18 C (65 F) unless I was getting some immediate sun warmth.
It's truly surprising how cold Brisbane gets in winter. The inland suburbs have seen temps as low as -3C in winter, and I remember atleast one instance of of -5C temps at Amberely (airforce base in the westernmost suburbs). Infact temps of around 5C are normal in that area in winter. Some of the outlying towns such as Kilcoy and Dalby get winter lows colder than anything Melbourne is ever likely to see. For example, Dalby, about 200km inland from Brisbane has seen a -5C low in June last year.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:27 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
It's truly surprising how cold Brisbane gets in winter. The inland suburbs have seen temps as low as -3C in winter, and I remember atleast one instance of of -5C temps at Amberely (airforce base in the westernmost suburbs). Infact temps of around 5C are normal in that area in winter. Some of the outlying towns such as Kilcoy and Dalby get winter lows colder than anything Melbourne is ever likely to see. For example, Dalby, about 200km inland from Brisbane has seen a -5C low in June last year.
Lowest daily-means would interest me more than record lows, if you know any stats.
(it affects objects with high thermal mass )

Many parts of Oz's inland north average maybe 24 C/75 F in the day, but lows of 8 C/46 F or less overnight.

My opinions on "winter" (chilly-season) daily-means:

16 C/60 F = Winter? What winter?
13 C/56 F = pretty good
10 C/50 F = quite chilly
7 C/45 F = true grossness begins
4 C/40 F = get me out of here!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:42 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,397 times
Quote:

13 C/56 F = pretty good
10 C/50 F = quite chilly
Are those daily highs or 24-hour means?

Australian climate data is available from the excellent Bureau of Meteorology website: Climate Data Online

Coldest month mean overnight lows in the Brisbane region range from about 7 - 12, depending on distance from the coast.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:27 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,690,365 times
Quote:
Lowest daily-means would interest me more than record lows, if you know any stats.
(it affects objects with high thermal mass )

Many parts of Oz's inland north average maybe 24 C/75 F in the day, but lows of 8 C/46 F or less overnight.

13 C/56 F = pretty good
10 C/50 F = quite chilly

Wow... I can see why you want to get out of Canada so badly Virtually everywhere in this country has daily means in winter under 4C / 40F Also, why I want to leave as well

Old 05-18-2010, 02:44 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
A few cold nights does not consititute a winter.
And I can assure you, winter is a non-event up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather