Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:36 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times

Advertisements

Me, too! Longer days are great and a sign things are improving! Won't see many 60's here in April unless we get really lucky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 06:03 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,261,120 times
Back to the original question, and twisting it around, I think autumn is arriving early in Sydney this year, at least for the next foreseeable week....

The next 7 days are all expected to max out at 23C (73F) which (and I know this is little consolation to the northern hemisphere posters) feels decidedly "chilly" at the moment!

Old 03-08-2010, 06:10 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Anyone else waiting for DST (Daylight Saving Time) to kick in this weekend? I am! Daylight after 7pm is awesome.
I think it's dumb that DST starts in winter now.
I like the later sunsets, but I feel cheated when it's below freezing at a 7pm sunset on DST.

I also hate that it ends after Halloween;
making sure there's daylight until 6:45pm on Halloween Night,
but just a few days afterwards they switch off DST.
Used to be dark at 5:45 pm on Halloween.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:26 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,464,547 times
I wouldn't mind it if DST was year round
I don't really care if there is daylight during the morning commute. On weekends I care even less. Daylight in the evening is much more important for me, regardless of out time of the year. Maybe I need to move to Indiana (westernmost edge of EST)

Halloween I guess is a special case but it's not like I go trick or treating anyway.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
Back to the original question, and twisting it around, I think autumn is arriving early in Sydney this year, at least for the next foreseeable week....

The next 7 days are all expected to max out at 23C (73F) which (and I know this is little consolation to the northern hemisphere posters) feels decidedly "chilly" at the moment!
I would be upset if in mid September our warmest days were only 23C. September is still warm in NYC, with many days in upper 70s and 80s, with beaches still semi-crowded.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:35 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
Anyone else waiting for DST (Daylight Saving Time) to kick in this weekend? I am! Daylight after 7pm is awesome.
Does this mean waking up earlier? I love when the sun sets at 8 but I hate getting up early, oh well I'll adjust lol.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:01 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
It arrives when I stop wearing sweaters every day. Shed the coat, ear muffs, then the sweater, maybe 3/4 length sleeves, short sleeves means spring, Over 70 degrees over a long period of time. I always get too anxious and think spring is here and it's not.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Does this mean waking up earlier? I love when the sun sets at 8 but I hate getting up early, oh well I'll adjust lol.
Yep, you will lose 1 hour on Sunday.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:16 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
I wouldn't mind it if DST was year round
I don't really care if there is daylight during the morning commute. On weekends I care even less. Daylight in the evening is much more important for me, regardless of out time of the year. Maybe I need to move to Indiana (westernmost edge of EST)
I'm completely agree with you. I love late sunsets. I can't wait for a 7:40 sunset next week. I'm really lucky that I live in the western edge of the Eastern time zone. I couldn't stand to live in Alabama with such an early sunset time even with DST.

Spring starts here when the pollen starts to cover the cars. That's usually the same time the Bradford Pear Trees start to have blooming flowers that smell terrible. Our tree fell over last year (most Bradford Pears fall over in mid-life) so it's gonna be harder to tell.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:09 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,261,120 times
Quote:
I would be upset if in mid September our warmest days were only 23C. September is still warm in NYC, with many days in upper 70s and 80s, with beaches still semi-crowded.
Yeah I am hoping it is only temporary - March SHOULD be warmer than this I am getting married on Saturday and have been constantly checking the weather updates. Unfortunately Saturday does not look brilliant weatherwise (shower or two, max 23C (73F)) After a few beers and wines that won't matter tho

But looking back on the last six months, we averaged 23C maximums last September, one month out of winter so we had a good spring...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather