Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 07:40 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm willing to admit that I DO understand why you guys and gals who live in the north and have to shovel snow and deal with that all winter long etc would be really longing for Spring. Makes perfect sense. I especially understand it this year with the record snows etc which has even affected us here in the south.

What I don't understand is my fellow southerners who I keep hearing over and over and over say they can't wait till it's spring, they're so tired of winter etc., etc. C'mon, people. Winters are mild here, but summer is brutal! I personally don't want winter to end, but I dare not say that around these parts!!! So let me just say it here... I LOVE WINTER!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 08:12 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,019,930 times
You're more than welcome to come and stay in Buxton Derbyshire this summer then where the average high is 62 degrees and total sunshine amounts to about 400 hours over all three months.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
You're more than welcome to come and stay in Buxton Derbyshire this summer then where the average high is 62 degrees and total sunshine amounts to about 400 hours over all three months.
I don't know about the scarcity of sunshine (though I do enjoy cloudy too) but the temps sounds wonderful!

Old 02-22-2010, 10:32 AM

Ok, just had another one leaving the bank tell me how ready for Spring she was. I just kinda smiled and laughed and didn't comment one way or the other. Arrrrggghh! Maybe I should just tell them I love Winter and see what happens!

Maybe everyone else around here just belongs in the south and I don't!

Old 02-22-2010, 10:34 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Ok, just had another one leaving the bank tell me how ready for Spring she was. I just kinda smiled and laughed and didn't comment one way or the other. Arrrrggghh! Maybe I should just tell them I love Winter and see what happens!
Hey, they expressed their opinion, you should be able to express yours.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Hey, they expressed their opinion, you should be able to express yours.
LOL, yes but I work here and have to be "pleasant." They don't. It's almost like around here it's just a given that you want to see warmer weather! I just don't. I love when the house is slightly cool (naturally, not from a/c) and you have a nice fire going in the fireplace and you can cuddle up under a blanket on the couch! Great evening IMO!

Old 02-22-2010, 10:40 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
LOL, yes but I work here and have to be "pleasant." They don't.
You can be pleasant. Just smile nicely and in a very pleasant tone, all the while smiling, say, "Yes mam, I understand you have you head up your keester, summer sucks, ya'all have a very pleasant winter day."

Won't that work?

Old 02-22-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
You can be pleasant. Just smile nicely and in a very pleasant tone, all the while smiling, say, "Yes mam, I understand you have you head up your keester, summer sucks, ya'all have a very pleasant winter day."

Won't that work?
ROTFL! It would work fine for me, but I doubt I could say that to very many people before some busybody would report it to my boss, and I doubt it would "work" for her. Or let me put it this way, kaykay would not be "working for her" much longer! Of course, as long as I kept smiling while I said it, many would probably not believe they heard me correctly and just go on about their day!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:10 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Even in milder climates. people look forward to spring for the same reason us in northern climates do-------to see the ' re-birth"

Grass greening up, flowers blooming, flowering shrubs and bushes, leaves back on trees etc

I think it's normal to want to see that every year even if one lives where winters are milder.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Even in milder climates. people look forward to spring for the same reason us in northern climates do-------to see the ' re-birth"

Grass greening up, flowers blooming, flowering shrubs and bushes, leaves back on trees etc

I think it's normal to want to see that every year even if one lives where winters are milder.
Yes, that's a point. Spring is pretty, but IMO the heat, geckos, insects, pollen etc are SOOOO not worth it. And did I mention it's hot???!!!

Most of the people who are pining for spring are complaining about the cold we've had this winter. (To put it in perspective, many of our trees didn't even lose their leaves till late December!) To me, it just seems like a normal winter. I think part of my problem is I grew up in Texas, but not in the Dallas area. Grew up in the Panhandle and we on average, were quite a bit cooler and less humid than Dallas. We also got a fair amount of snow (for as southern city) I think that's why Dallas probably seems too hot to me and a colder than normal winter seems "normal" to me. Or...maybe I just hate the heat in general!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather