Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 07:01 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Overcast View Post
Deceit, lies (there will be no carbon tax under the government I lead) and what did we get? A ****ing carbon tax! Wasteful spending, botched vote-grabbing schemes, divisive politics, instigating division between men and woman, stupid idiotic green policies that are now costing us taxpayers dearly (e.g. the desalination plant in Victoria ... now rusting away in the rain), rampant cost of living increases due to an endless parade of new taxes and tax increases, mostly an attempt at social engineering (i.e constant tax increases on alcohol and tobacco to "reduce consumption" but really a tax grab to not only an attempt to control the way people live, but to recoup some of the wasted billions , and Australia is already has some of the world's least affordable beer and spirit prices to begin with), massive increases in utility costs and the list goes on.

Yesterday was a great day for this nation. 6 years of suffocation is over. The new government has already promised to do everything to remove the carbon tax from day 1 and has actually allocated funding to make sure retailers and utility providers are policed so they pass on the savings to consumers.
This sounds exactly like our government. It's a miracle this six-party abomination of a government hasn't fallen yet. Moronic Left Alliance and Christian Democrat parties having much more influence than they should have and suggesting all kinds of new stupid laws. The new suggestion for alcohol laws are terrifying. Shorter hours for pubs and liquor stores, illegal to buy alcohol on Sunday in stores, and other unbelievable things. Too bad the elections are 1.5 year away.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:03 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Overcast View Post

Deceit, lies (there will be no carbon tax under the government I lead) and what did we get? A ****ing carbon tax! Wasteful spending, botched vote-grabbing schemes, divisive politics, instigating division between men and woman, stupid idiotic green policies that are now costing us taxpayers dearly (e.g. the desalination plant in Victoria ... now rusting away in the rain), rampant cost of living increases due to an endless parade of new taxes and tax increases, mostly an attempt at social engineering (i.e constant tax increases on alcohol and tobacco to "reduce consumption" but really a tax grab to not only an attempt to control the way people live, but to recoup some of the wasted billions , and Australia is already has some of the world's least affordable beer and spirit prices to begin with), massive increases in utility costs and the list goes on.

Yesterday was a great day for this nation. 6 years of suffocation is over. The new government has already promised to do everything to remove the carbon tax from day 1 and has actually allocated funding to make sure retailers and utility providers are policed so they pass on the savings to consumers.
I had no idea about the carbon tax, I thought that was just something that was being discussed, not implemented. Did it raise the price of petrol and electric power much? But I'd not count on the new party to cut out the taxes, once a tax goes in effect, it's sure hard to get rid of it...lol.

Oh yeah, if you want cheap alcohol, come to the states, we're practically drowning in the stuff...lol. A 1.75 l bottle of cheapo bourbon or vodka is about $12, and you can still get six-packs of beer for like $4. A 4-Loko, a 24-oz can that contains 12% alcohol (!), sells for $2.69 at the grocery store, you only need one to get a buzz...lol.

Oh yeah, they'd never pass a carbon tax here, we're too poor to afford things as they are...lol. We're already back below 1995 levels for CO2 emissions anyhow, so it's not like we need one anyhow.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:29 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Eww liberals.. Boke
The Liberals in Australia are actually the conservatives. Don't ask me why!

I generally dislike conservatives, but Labor decided to massively tax the only industry that was keeping Australia out of recession (mining). I hate the Greens more than any other party.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:38 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Ugh I am confused.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:41 AM
B87

Labor = Labour
Liberal = Conservative

It's the only place I know of where the Liberal party are the right wingers.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:43 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
So I don't like labour.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
The Liberals in Australia are actually the conservatives. Don't ask me why!

I generally dislike conservatives, but Labor decided to massively tax the only industry that was keeping Australia out of recession (mining). I hate the Greens more than any other party.

Why the hate for the Greens? Wouldn't they be the ones to keep rapicious corporations in check and level out the economy for the benefit for all? I'd bet they'd support full employment, unlike the traditional parties here in the States which seem to work in tandem to make America a poorer and socially unfair place.

I've decided to not vote in the national elections here anymore, as our 2-party system clearly doesn't work for the benefit for the people, only the corporations and the extremely rich. But if the Greens ever became a viable party, that'd be one thing to get me back into that voting booth...lol.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:47 AM
B87

I don't like anyone who is anti-mining. Most of them just see to be a bunch of misanthrope environmentalists (I have no problem with conservationists) who will happily prevent human advancement.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I don't like anyone who is anti-mining.
I do.

I went to the Keweenaw in July, which was torn up a 100 years ago do to unrestricted mining, and the workers had to work in hellish conditions for slave wages while the fatcats in Boston counted the the loot that was extracted from what was one of the wildest and most untamed places in the US. Of course now, 100 years later, the Keweenaw is paradise once again, although there are still problems with toxic waste, etc.

So yeah, I'd rather for there not to be any mining, at least near where I live...lol.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:01 AM

688 posts, read 841,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I had no idea about the carbon tax, I thought that was just something that was being discussed, not implemented. Did it raise the price of petrol and electric power much? But I'd not count on the new party to cut out the taxes, once a tax goes in effect, it's sure hard to get rid of it...lol.

Oh yeah, if you want cheap alcohol, come to the states, we're practically drowning in the stuff...lol. A 1.75 l bottle of cheapo bourbon or vodka is about $12, and you can still get six-packs of beer for like $4. A 4-Loko, a 24-oz can that contains 12% alcohol (!), sells for $2.69 at the grocery store, you only need one to get a buzz...lol.
A 1.75 litre cheap bourbon or vodka here would be $50 at the bare minimum, $4 for a 6 pack of beer, that is how much a single ****ing bottle costs here and an average 6 pack of beer is $12-15 (Aldi has 6 packs for $7-8 though), a 375ml can of 4.8% premix spirit costs upwards of $4..... and many stronger cans cost $5-6 and even more. An 6 pack of 375ml bourbon and coke is usually now $20 or more, and a 4 pack of 6.5% 375ml can of Smirnoff Ice is $18-20. A case of beer runs around $30-45 for the mainstream full-strength stuff, with the premium or stronger varieties costing more. A case of 24x500ml cans of Heineken or Stella cost $58 (recent increase from $54) When it comes to alcohol taxes and prices, this country ****ING SUCKS. THERE IS UNLIKELY ANYWHERE MORE EXPENSIVE FOR BOOZE OUTSIDE OF THE MIDDLE EAST... ****ING COMMIE LABOR DICKHOLES TAXING EVERYTHING TO DEATH . I'm sure anyone visiting from Europe or the USA would get a heart attack upon seeing our booze prices

booze is available freely, there are bottle shops everywhere and some supermarkets in Victoria (Aldi, NQR etc) sell it 7 days a week but the prices are a disgrace. Still, beer and cider can be found at Aldi for a fair discount compared to other places. Victoria probably has the most lax liquor laws, booze can be bought from Aldi and a number of other supermarkets (not from the major chains though). It is the only state that booze is sold at Aldi.

At least wine is cheap, a 4 litre box can be had for $8.95 and 18% bottles of port are available for $5-6.

A ****ing 600ml bottle of coke costs over $3 in the cooler at the supermarket, while in the same supermarket, a 1.25 litre soft drink can be picked up for little over a dollar (probably still ****ing expensive compared to the US)

However, Aldi sell 375ml cans of cooled softdrink for 59c. So it could be assumed that it's not just the govt ripping the citizens of this country off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
This sounds exactly like our government. It's a miracle this six-party abomination of a government hasn't fallen yet. Moronic Left Alliance and Christian Democrat parties having much more influence than they should have and suggesting all kinds of new stupid laws. The new suggestion for alcohol laws are terrifying. Shorter hours for pubs and liquor stores, illegal to buy alcohol on Sunday in stores, and other unbelievable things. Too bad the elections are 1.5 year away.
What are liquor prices like in your country? Surely can't be as bad as Australia....

Last edited by Full Overcast; 09-08-2013 at 08:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather