Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:27 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
Those "lowest" temps in the low-mid teens seem like they should be the coldest readings of the year for a place like Macon, GA instead of NYC lol
Why is that suprising? What would you expect for the coldest readings for place like NYC? When I lived in Long Island, most winter months the coldest readings of the year would be in the low teens. Once in a while, we'd get "artic air break" and we'd have a stretch of nights in the single digits which made miserable mornings.

So a place as far south as Georgia gets as cold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 11:35 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,019,044 times
Yeah this winter is still brutal here, snowing even now heading towards April.

Sick and tired also of idiots on other forums who of course not only love the snow and cold but chastise or bully those who express their desire to see some warmer weather including making out an observation of snow as being a "complaint". This is the reason I left www.netweather.tv, their forum is full of such total jerks.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:21 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,896,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
Yeah this winter is still brutal here, snowing even now heading towards April.

Sick and tired also of idiots on other forums who of course not only love the snow and cold but chastise or bully those who express their desire to see some warmer weather including making out an observation of snow as being a "complaint". This is the reason I left www.netweather.tv, their forum is full of such total jerks.
exactly the same garbage on the australian weather forums. Some of these prats even went as far as blaming heat-lovers for the Feb 2009 bushfires ANd then they bang on about how "hot" Melbourne is and how we are having a "5 month" summer and tripe like that.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:38 AM

29,890 posts, read 9,958,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Why is that suprising? What would you expect for the coldest readings for place like NYC? When I lived in Long Island, most winter months the coldest readings of the year would be in the low teens. Once in a while, we'd get "artic air break" and we'd have a stretch of nights in the single digits which made miserable mornings.

So a place as far south as Georgia gets as cold?
Yes, indeed north Georgia outside of Atlanta gets just as cold....usually the lowest temp of the winter is somewhere between 5-15F...in a cold winter it's possible for it to get down to 0F....in a warm winter it may not even get below 20F all winter.....

Old 04-02-2010, 05:11 AM

I consider winter to have ended (for England anyway) when we are getting days consistently above 60F, which would be in late May - June. Long winters.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:00 PM

963 posts, read 2,409,593 times
I think I'd rate most of NC as cold, and a bit snowier than the norm, but no record-breaker on either front. In the mountains - western North Carolina - it was quite a bit worse.

March 1980, December 1989, March 1993, January 1996, January 2000, and February 2004 saw different parts of the state getting rocked by epic, wildly abnormal snowstorms, and there wasn't any of that this year, and no subzero (unlike Dec 89, Jan 85, or Dec 83) snaps either. This winter did want to hang around for a while though.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:13 AM

Winter's STILL here, I consider crap below 50F as winter, in fact I've known winter months (such as the record mild January 2007) far milder than this Gaypril.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:01 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,589,203 times
I rate it as one of the top 5 winters ever! (Since supposedly it was one of the top 5 coldest winters here.) It was CONSISTENTLY colder for longer periods of time. We didn't get any brutal weather, no frozen precip, but like I said, colder, longer. That I liked!

Old 04-06-2010, 03:24 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,007,752 times
It was a very, very chilly winter. Here in Tucson we dipped below freezing on about 1 or 2 nights in December. Since then we haven't experienced a freeze, but we have still had some brutally cool nights. There were quite a few rainstorms that kept many days cold. I would say that there were at least 15 days this winter where we didn't even make it to 60 degrees.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:54 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,896,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
It was a very, very chilly winter. Here in Tucson we dipped below freezing on about 1 or 2 nights in December. Since then we haven't experienced a freeze, but we have still had some brutally cool nights. There were quite a few rainstorms that kept many days cold. I would say that there were at least 15 days this winter where we didn't even make it to 60 degrees.
Sounds like a typical winter here - except we get about 3 times as many days below 60F

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
Winter's STILL here, I consider crap below 50F as winter, in fact I've known winter months (such as the record mild January 2007) far milder than this Gaypril.

Last edited by §AB; 04-07-2010 at 07:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather