Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 12:24 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
according to the western climate center, Atlanta has an average of 42 hot days (> 90F/32C) a year while NYC average 15 days above 90F a year.

ATLANTA WSO AIRPORT, GEORGIA - Climate Summary
NEW YORK CNTRL PRK WSFO, NEW YORK - Climate Summary

It didn't say anything about extremely hot days, though. Interestingly, NYC has a higher record highest temperature than Atlanta by a degree. Chicago has about the same number of days above 90F as NYC (17) but is a few degrees colder than NYC on average so it perhaps it has more temperature fluctations.
That whole Central Park thing throws me off, it's going to be cooler since it's a large park. The closest city Philadelphia averages 24 days above 90F, it'd be mind boggling how Philadelphia can average nearly 10 more 90F than NYC. I wish they had Newark's data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 06:49 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Southern Australia is of course known for it's heatwaves, but humidity is generally low during the hottest part of the day. We had three days above 40C (108F) which is a bonafide heatwave. Hottest was about 44C.
Adelaide is ofcourse mindnumbingly hotter than Melbourne.

Adelaide gets fantastic heatwaves, while at the same time Melbourne is 10-20C cooler day and night due to constant daily cold fronts and seabreezes

Old 04-07-2010, 07:52 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
That whole Central Park thing throws me off, it's going to be cooler since it's a large park. The closest city Philadelphia averages 24 days above 90F, it'd be mind boggling how Philadelphia can average nearly 10 more 90F than NYC. I wish they had Newark's data.
They have Newark's data, though it's the airport it's here and scroll for the city. It averages 24 as well.

Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island

I usually remember Newark as having higher forecast temperatures than New York City on hot days. It's away from the coast and is still urban. The NYC Airports, the one site in Brooklyn they have and Long Island stations all have less hot days then Central Park (10-14). Poughkeepsie, in upstate about 75 miles north of Central Park, has as many hot days as Newark and Philly, too.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:35 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Measuring at Central Park is more "natural" since it is less inflated by an artificial heat island. And anyway, anywhere you put the sensor it's going to be distorted somewhat, whether it's a paved parking lot, underneath a skyscraper, at an intersection with all the vehicles and subway vents. Choosing a green location at least makes measurements more or less consistent between cities (big and small).

Old 04-07-2010, 04:33 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
We occasionally get them in the Chicago area. Usually it is a few days of temperatures in the mid to upper 90s. There are usually 17 days with high temps above 90 F in Chicago.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
And then there was last summer.. NYC didn't get any days above 90 until mid August in the summer, though it got two in April. Felt kinda nice in some ways, but it was too cloudy a lot of the tiem. Highest temperature in July was 86, lowest 58.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:17 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
Here in Snellville, GA (right outside Atlanta) We had 43 days of 90 or above. 18 in June. 13 in July and 12 in August. However, July was 4 degrees below average (avg is 91) and August was 2 degrees below average (avg is 89). June was just 1 degree above average (avg is 88). I wonder how many days of 90+ we would have gotten if everything was average.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:02 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Here in Snellville, GA (right outside Atlanta) We had 43 days of 90 or above. 18 in June. 13 in July and 12 in August. However, July was 4 degrees below average (avg is 91) and August was 2 degrees below average (avg is 89). June was just 1 degree above average (avg is 88). I wonder how many days of 90+ we would have gotten if everything was average.
Below-seasonal and still had 43 days of 90+ F? Lucky!
(part of why I think I would have liked living in the southeastern US )

Our hottest summer on record had about 43 days at 86+ F;
a good summer, but I do not wish to see a summer cooler than that.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:01 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
Reading all this reminds me why I like NE Wisconsin, rarely 90 where I am, I don't think I've seen one since I moved here over 2 yrs. ago! Woohoo!

Of course, if I miss them only a short drive inland will take care of it! The other day I was by the lake with jacket and a hat, 2 young men came from Green Bay with shorts, tees and flip flops, were they surprised. They said it was in the 80's in GB and I said welcome to the lake front, its 59!

Old 04-07-2010, 09:46 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Phoenix is a major city where heat waves are common occurrences. Heat is pretty much an ongiong normal event from June through September, and practically every day has high temperatures well over 100 degrees during that time of year. Phoenix is ranked as the hottest U.S. city because of the intense summer heat alone. The only thing that makes it slightly more tolerable (so they say) is the lack of humidity.

What is unusual is to have heat waves in Phoenix during the winter ... but they have happened from time to time. Both December and January had record high temperatures in the upper 80s during a couple of years, and it reached the low 90s twice on record in late February. That is very rare, however. Phoenix's winters are actually quite cool and somewhat rainy on average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather