Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:49 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,956,607 times

Advertisements

It's less "bi-polar" when you get closer to the coast rather than the Fall Line....and even less so once you get into Florida.

That's why even though Savannah and Macon, GA are about the same latitude....Macon gets slightly more "bi-polar weather" than Savannah....and generally the farther west you go in the South the wilder temp swings get. Like Houston, TX has much more wild temperature swings than Jacksonville, FL even though they are the same latitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
It seems as though a good chunk of the country (anything east of the Rockies) is susceptible to "wild" changes in weather over a short period of time. Heck, even Florida isn't completely immune to it (at least during the winter).

I recall there being severe thunderstorms in early March, blizzards in the middle of April, heatwaves in April, etc. It could be 95 or 35 on any given day! Okay that may be a slight exaggeration, but it is true. March and April are nearly impossible to predict.
Yes I do notice this as well It's very interesting to look at weather maps and it being so obvious to see where the cold front is , I love it when I see somewhere where it's 71 degrees and cloudy and then 150 miles to the north/west it can be 26 degrees with snow

Old 04-09-2010, 10:56 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
It's less "bi-polar" when you get closer to the coast rather than the Fall Line....and even less so once you get into Florida.

That's why even though Savannah and Macon, GA are about the same latitude....Macon gets slightly more "bi-polar weather" than Savannah....and generally the farther west you go in the South the wilder temp swings get. Like Houston, TX has much more wild temperature swings than Jacksonville, FL even though they are the same latitude.
So does that mean going from Atlanta to Macon, the differences from a front will be roughly equal, except that Macon is starting out warmer and not cooling down as low?

Like this?
Atlanta 65 F, Macon 69 F... March coldfront, next day: Atlanta 45, Macon 49 F

Old 04-09-2010, 10:59 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
One thing I've always thought about though, is how stable the Southern U.S. is during the summer. Cool downs seem rare and many record lows are only in the 50s and 60s, even in the low 70s in some of the hotter places. For example, the record low in Miami for July and August is 66 and 67, respectively.

Not only that, but I can't really recall and sort of historic cool downs during the summer that have affected the south.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
So does that mean going from Atlanta to Macon, the differences from a front will be roughly equal, except that Macon is starting out warmer and not cooling down as low?

Like this?
Atlanta 65 F, Macon 69 F... March coldfront, next day: Atlanta 45, Macon 49 F
Precisely but usually a March cool off would be like this:

Atlanta 73F, Macon 77F.....Cold front, next day: Atlanta: 40F, Macon: 44F.

And Savannah would be about 78F the day before and probably around 47/48F the next day....

Quote:
One thing I've always thought about though, is how stable the Southern U.S. is during the summer. Cool downs seem rare and many record lows are only in the 50s and 60s, even in the low 70s in some of the hotter places. For example, the record low in Miami for July and August is 66 and 67, respectively.

Not only that, but I can't really recall and sort of historic cool downs during the summer that have affected the south.
Well, the Jet Stream also moves well to the north during Summer.....so that dosen't allow cold fronts to reach south most of the time. However, in early June it's possible to have lows in the lower 50s after an "early summer cool front" moves through....I'm talking North GA not South FL. I've also seen it at 54F on July 1 as well on one morning. Of course, this broke a record low. Again, I am talking about North GA not Florida

Old 04-09-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:

Well, the Jet Stream also moves well to the north during Summer.....so that dosen't allow cold fronts to reach south most of the time. However, in early June it's possible to have lows in the lower 50s after an "early summer cool front" moves through....I'm talking North GA not South FL. I've also seen it at 54F on July 1 as well on one morning. Of course, this broke a record low. Again, I am talking about North GA not Florida
Even up here in New Jersey, anything below 55 is pretty unusual during the summer months. Most of our record lows are in the 40s, but we even have a few that are around 50, which is pretty high if you think about it.

But wouldn't it be cool if the jet stream moved farther south one summer, allowing cold fronts to affect the deep south? For some reason it would be really cool to see Miami drop below 70 during July. I know that sounds nerdy and cheesy, but I have strange wishes in life.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Even up here in New Jersey, anything below 55 is pretty unusual during the summer months. Most of our record lows are in the 40s, but we even have a few that are around 50, which is pretty high if you think about it.

But wouldn't it be cool if the jet stream moved farther south one summer, allowing cold fronts to affect the deep south? For some reason it would be really cool to see Miami drop below 70 during July. I know that sounds nerdy and cheesy, but I have strange wishes in life.
That would be pretty cool!

It would definitely make summer much more bearable. Most of our record lows here in summer are 65-70F here.....our record lows!!!

That would mean Atlanta would get occasional days with highs in the low 70s and lows around 50....in July

Old 04-09-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
That would be pretty cool!

It would definitely make summer much more bearable. Most of our record lows here in summer are 65-70F here.....our record lows!!!
Yeah, record lows in the 70s are kinda pathetic.

Quote:
That would mean Atlanta would get occasional days with highs in the low 70s and lows around 50....in July
That does happen up here during the summer occasionally. It feels very cool, but very nice at the same time, partly because the humidity drops. Our poor friends down south probably don't get to experience this until what, September or October?

Old 04-09-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:

That does happen up here during the summer occasionally. It feels very cool, but very nice at the same time, partly because the humidity drops. Our poor friends down south probably don't get to experience this until what, September or October?
LOL yes they are pathetic

Haha yeah....usually Septmeber 15 brings the first morning below 55 and October 1 or so below 50 at least when I lived in North GA....About 2 months after that here now

Usually the first frost happens around late October or so in the upper South

Old 04-10-2010, 12:29 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
I think 70 F lows are awesome.
There's not a single day in the year in Toronto that can't be too cold for me.
(yet nearly none of them can even come close to being "too hot")

It's one thing that I love about places like the Carolinas in summer;
all but guarantee I'll see zero lows below 60 F and zero highs below 80 F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather