Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your favourite season?
Spring 18 23.08%
Summer 24 30.77%
Fall 19 24.36%
Winter 17 21.79%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 03:02 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times

Advertisements

Summer hands down! And unfortunately in Cleveland it isn't long enough! However; been having some really nice days this spring. Had several days in the 80s already. We are supposed to get snow flurries here tomorrow, but should be back up in the 70s by early next week, which is still above normal by our standards at this time of the year. Hey, I'll take it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 04:10 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Summer hands down! And unfortunately in Cleveland it isn't long enough! However; been having some really nice days this spring. Had several days in the 80s already. We are supposed to get snow flurries here tomorrow, but should be back up in the 70s by early next week, which is still above normal by our standards at this time of the year. Hey, I'll take it!
Ok let's trade, I HATE summer, and it's summer here almost year round

Old 04-08-2010, 04:20 PM

175 posts, read 323,963 times
Spring (Mar 20 - June 20). Things are progressively getting warmer, and days are getting longer. While early spring might be cold, at least Spring days are as long as summer days, and early Spring (late March-early April) is usually already warmer than late Autumn (mid-December). Spring is also warmer than Autumn on average, but it is not yet hot enough to be unbearable.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:55 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

Btw,
The first time that I saw that Dallas averages 80 F for the high in October,
I assumed that most Texans felt lucky to have Octobers that warm.
Do you feel "strongly-something" about having 80 F in October too?
Hmm, not to speak for kay or other Texans, but I would assume it could go both ways. If you love the heat, then you're pretty happy with having an average high of 80 during October. But if you hate it, or are sick of it, 80 may be too warm. But then at the same time, 80 probably feels pretty nice compared to say, 96. So I guess it's a matter of personal opinion.

If I lived down there, I'd probably be happy that it is finally starting to "cool off" (I wouldn't consider 80 cool), but also not thrilled that it could be 85 on Halloween.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:42 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Hmm, not to speak for kay or other Texans, but I would assume it could go both ways. If you love the heat, then you're pretty happy with having an average high of 80 during October. But if you hate it, or are sick of it, 80 may be too warm. But then at the same time, 80 probably feels pretty nice compared to say, 96. So I guess it's a matter of personal opinion.

If I lived down there, I'd probably be happy that it is finally starting to "cool off" (I wouldn't consider 80 cool), but also not thrilled that it could be 85 on Halloween.
Yes 80 is too hot in October (or anytime for me) but I'll take over the 90's and 100's of summer!!!

Old 04-08-2010, 10:53 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes 80 is too hot in October (or anytime for me) but I'll take over the 90's and 100's of summer!!!
The reason I thought
"...most Texans might enjoy it's still 80 F in October..." (initially)

is a lot of people around here like to swim, but are often saddened and frustrated that we get maybe 3-4 months a year that are "swimmable", and only 1-2 months a year that might be "enjoyable". So we have to wait a LONG time just to be able to swim outdoors, and it is such a short season. And people who don't get wet are usually comfortable with 80 F anyways.

Almost everyone is "all smiles" in Toronto on a seasonal day in July (high of 80 F and partly cloudy)
Almost everyone looks grumpy or unimpressed in Toronto on a seasonal day in October. (high of 59 F and mostly cloudy)

*I was hoping kaykay had a humourous response to 80 F in October, she feels "strongly_______"

Old 04-09-2010, 01:20 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,036 times
Late summer/autumn (fall)/early winter for the cloudy/rainy days and spring for lack of humidity. In the case of the former, autumn (fall) especially.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:35 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
The reason I thought
"...most Texans might enjoy it's still 80 F in October..." (initially)

is a lot of people around here like to swim, but are often saddened and frustrated that we get maybe 3-4 months a year that are "swimmable", and only 1-2 months a year that might be "enjoyable". So we have to wait a LONG time just to be able to swim outdoors, and it is such a short season. And people who don't get wet are usually comfortable with 80 F anyways.
I can attest to this. Even here in New Jersey, it isn't good swimming weather (IMO) until early to mid June. We usually open up the pool around Memorial Day weekend, but it takes a while to warm up. By early to mid September, it usually starts getting a little too cool for swimming. So maybe three months a year is the most we get out of our pool. I'm thinking we should get a heater this year so I don't turn blue.

Quote:
Almost everyone is "all smiles" in Toronto on a seasonal day in July (high of 80 F and partly cloudy)
Almost everyone looks grumpy or unimpressed in Toronto on a seasonal day in October. (high of 59 F and mostly cloudy)
Agreed! Especially on a warm weather day. Everyone is in such a good mood. Meanwhile, I'm secretly looking forward to cooler, cloudier days.

Although actually, 75 or 80 without humidity is pretty nice summer weather, IMO.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:38 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Maybe you don't get out enough in spring to notice fall vs. spring UV.

Did you appreciate my description of my ideal "kaleidescope panorama" that Toronto occaisionally experiences?

The Toronto area experiences winter barely mild enough to support a wide array of tree species.
(northern limit in the Great Lakes of "Eastern Woodland," "Carolinian" or predominantly-deciduous forest )
We have easily 2 dozen kinds of deciduous trees in the forests near my house...
yet an hour north or an hour west (inland) due to harsher-winters
deciduous-tree diversity drops to as low as 4-8 species with 1-2 dominant species in any given 1-2 mile radius.
Probably less-impressive and more homogenous-looking fall colour up there.

Btw,
The first time that I saw that Dallas averages 80 F for the high in October,
I assumed that most Texans felt lucky to have Octobers that warm.
Do you feel "strongly-something" about having 80 F in October too?
Your "kaleidoscope panorama" sounds beautiful. As for Dallas averaging in the 80's in October, like ILNC said, 80's are much too hot for my liking but waaay better than the 90's and 100's. Everything's relative, ya know! Also, that might be an average temp, but by October, we generally would have had at least some days cooler than that and the nights are starting to cool off which is nice too!

And yes, I probably don't go outside much in the Spring! (Except "in transit" from house to car, car to wherever etc!) More than temps, though, the pollen in the Spring gets to me these days, especially in May!

I feel strongly NEGATIVE about any temp much over 70ºF!!

Last edited by kaykay; 04-09-2010 at 08:48 AM..

Old 04-09-2010, 09:02 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
summer. i can say that now that i no longer live in TX or oklahoma

it's great having so many hours of sunlight so i can come home from work and still work in the ol' garden for 2-3 hours before it gets too dark.

fall is a close second, then winter, then spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather